1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Not sure if I can do this with Mr Color lacquer ?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Bryan, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Bryan Member

I prime using Mr Surfacer 1500.Is it ok to airbrush the base coat with Mr Color lacquer paint then.Use Vallejo Model Color.
  2. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

The rule always used to be that you can use solvent based materials over acrylics, but not the other way around. That said, today's finishes are more complex and can sometimes be used the other way. I would try it on a sample piece first to see if it's ok. Regardless, make sure the lacquers have dried for a very long time-like close to a week- before going over them.
  3. Bryan Member

Great thanks my plan was to use Acrylic over Lacquer
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Why would you even want to do that...there are acrylic primers every bit as good as lacquer...and it would save you a lot of unnecessary grief.
  5. Bryan Member

I haven’t found a good acrylic primer that compares to Mr Surfacer 1500.Tried Vallejo and wasn’t impressed.
  6. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Give Tamiya rattle can primer a try. I use that on every model I build, whether AFV or figure, & it hasn't failed me yet.
    housecarl likes this.
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agreed...Tamiya 'Fine White' is a very good primer...but expensive!...and add Games Workshop to the list.
    Bryan likes this.
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Concur - Tamiya grey primer is my weapon of choice, but definitely not cheap. Never tried Games Workshop primer personally, but I’ve heard good reports about it. Halfords auto primer goes on well too, & is quite competitively priced too.
    Bryan and Geoff Charman like this.
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tried Halfords...but found it clogged detail unless used sparingly.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use Halfords spray-can primer for most things and have never had any problems. The trick is not to hold it too close to the model, and to spray carefully. Don't just blast it out from point-blank range.

For me its main drawback is that you can end up wasting a lot of paint, but its low price mitigates that issue and I like the speed and simplicity it offers.

There's no right or wrong way. Just whatever works for you.

- Steve
  11. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I use Halfords primer as well and have never had a problem of clogged detail, and as Steve says not too close and short light coats and as with the normal modelling practice 3-4 thin coats are better than 1 thick one.

Pic shows Grey and White primer sprayed.

P1140222 (2).JPG

Cheers
    Geoff
  12. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Mr surfacer is as good as Tamiya. I use Tamiya and never had any problems.
    I wait 24 hours after priming and do abrade the primed surface before painting with acrylic using grey 3M pads. I use maroon pads before priming to improve adhesion of the primer as well.
    Chris Oldfield and Bryan like this.