1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Norman Knight, Elite Miniatures 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    My good friend Bob Bethea came up and spent a few days with me and we decided to both paint the same figure. By now I am sure most of you know how big a fan I am of Raul Latorre so the choice of figure was pretty obvious. This timeless piece is awesome! The sculpt is amazing, from the folds to the pose, almost perfection, and was a true joy to paint.

As always I tried some new things with this piece, the tones of the face was kept pretty 'ruddy' and very dark shadows, an unusual amount of black was used when painting the face. I also wanted to continue to play with various lighting effects, something I am struggling with, but it is a lot of fun.

Here is the more or less finished figure, still need to do a bit of weathering and complete the groundwork.

The face is Vallejo's and the rest is mostly Reaper Master Series.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

Gary D, gordy, sarouman and 6 others like this.
  2. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great paintwork Anders. Makes me want to get this one too.
    Cheers Mat
  3. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    The lighting contrasts are so daring. Totally pays off.
  4. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great painting Anders on this classic little figure.

Cheers David
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice Anders :)

I like the lighting effects ,it gives it some nice atmosphere (y)
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Appreciate it guys!

I like to play with different styles of highlighting and shading, and this one is obviously pretty different from what I normally would do, especially the face. It is very stark and ruddy, with a lot of blacks used for the shadows. I feel that we tend to do the same thing over and over again with each figure and it is hard to get out of that 'mode'. By trying to do at least one thing a bit different with each figure, sooner or later you will come up with something new that you really like, at the very least you will find out what doesn't work or what you don't like.
  7. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Very Nice Anders!! Although I'm an oils guy, could you share your mix for the clothing? It gives me all sorts of ideas for my grey army. (y)

Thanks again,

Gary Daugherty
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Another great painting Anders.:)
    For many years I hate seeing figures with great contrast between shadows ans lights, in present, I like very much influenced by two modelers, you and Mike Blank.
    In present i try to do my best with acrylics, to achieve good results, but the path is very long and dificult but I hope one day "hit the target". Already with the sculpture I prefer viewing Mike´s books and your sbs´s.:D
    I'm glad the figures have arrived safe to you.
    keep the good work!
  9. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent paintwork Anders!

Cheers,
    Marcel.