1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Non-PVC/vinyl, self-healing hobby mat?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Lissorles, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Lissorles Member

Canada
    Can someone please tell me where I can purhase a hobby mat that isn't made out of PVC/vinyl? The only one I've been able to find is from Ecopeco, but it's a little cost-prohibitive at 3-4x the price of a PVC/vinyl hobby mat. There's also a Fiskars one but it isn't self-healing and not intended for our hobby.

Thanks very much,

Lissorles
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've found that using a piece of mount board card works well. Since I tend to get paint and glue on stuff anyway I can rotate it to get a fresh bit or turn it over and usually replace it after a figure or two. (It goes straight in the recycling bin)
    A large sheet is easily cut into smaller pieces or if you have a framer/art shop locally you can often buy a bag of the centres which are cut out and discarded when a picture is framed for next to mothing)(y)

Hope that helps
    Paul
    Lissorles likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

You can get these mats in various sizes and colours ( even pink ) in hobby/ craft stores , no doubt you will also get on the selling sites like Amazon or eBay

What Paul suggests is a good option

Having some form of mat is essential IMO

Nap
    Lissorles and DaddyO like this.
  4. Lissorles Member

Canada
    Thank you, Paul. I will have a look and see what I can find.
    DaddyO likes this.
  5. Lissorles Member

Canada

Pink? To match my bedsheets and blinds? Haha, no, just kidding. I'm looking at either a double-sided mocha brown/beige or a dark green/yellow. I'm going with PP (polypropylene) instead of PVC/vinyl because of the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that are harmful for people with respiratory conditions such as myself (asthma). Thanks, friend!