1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

'No Thoroughfare'

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by petit belge, Feb 5, 2008.

1. petit belge New Member

Belgium
    More and more I leave the path of the military figurines and turn into my old love of making neosurrealism representations. In the old days I used to paint them, now I make those 'dreams' or 'ideas' with epoxy and raisin. I don’t look at them anymore as vignettes but as a piece of art.

This is the first one called ‘ No Thoroughfare’ and has still the influence of my interest in WW1.

All is scratch. The girl is on 1:12th scale, the Tommy and the Jerry on 1:16th. The great advantage of this way of working is that I can mixe all possible scales or also to work with flats, trompe l’oeil objects.

The entire base will be presented in a glass box, in this case with a frame of scrap-iron (not finished yet).

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The hands are made in flexible raisin. This raisin is more or less tranparent as it can been seen on the right hand.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Please, give me your critical reflections!
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Roger,
    Forgive me, but i cannot see the relationship between the soldiers and the girl.
    Perhaps see is the trophee of the airbattle.????

marc
  3. petit belge New Member

Belgium
    This kind of ‘paintings’ have a story, in the first place my own and in the second place all the other different ones, completed with each fantasy of the one who looks upon it. Fill in your own story using your own imagination. But sinds I’m the informer there is a foundation, some information with wich I give a hint. But If you like to see the girl as a trophy, than she is one. Nothing is as complicatet as you want it ro be.

Girls will be (and where) in my work the middle of it all. They represent the mind, the spirit of the logical and unlogical unspoken conversation. Here, in this case she resting on the edge, the border between good and evil. Behind her, there is a filhty war going on, before her, the peaceful quietness. She just sits there in the thin line of no man’s land and seems to invite anyone to make a choice, join the war and the foolishness, or stay here with me. But she warns you: ‘No thoroughfare’! But as we all know, who reeds a sign, specially a prohibition sign.

The foolishness of war is captured in the planes. Each soldier, who does not carry any other wapen, is playing with a painted, wooden toy-plane. Theyr boots are fixed into the mud so they can hardly move and have to stay on theyr own side, with theyr own conviction,untill there are so tired of fighting, that at the end, they have to listen to the girl.

By the way, I call these boxes ‘Diographs’.
  4. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi Roger,

I love your approch with miniatures !!!!!

I do applause with my hands.

I do like your ideas and the way you use miniatures.

The realisation (modellin and paintin) is correct but not outsanding. You will anyway get better an better with time.

But I totally agree with your way of vision.

JP
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roger - I agree with JP entirely! Do you know the US expression, "Bring it!"?

I really like this idea! I don't know that I relate to this particular diograph, but that's kinda irrelevant.

I'm thinking of the post-war art movement in Germany particularly - I'm not sure that's surrealism exactly, but it would be an "...interesting path to take...".

All the best,
    Dan
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Some kind of surrealism. We should call you Dali !!
    Quite unique in this Forum and interesting enough to explore it more.