1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

No more Euro

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Eludia, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Still gotta think its time to move on from the Leas Ian, The americans and Europeans will not come back there , a bit like getting a lousy meal in a restaurant , you just don't go back .
    Blind Pew, Bootneck, Nige and 2 others like this.
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    FYI, the names 'EURO MILITAIRE' and 'EURO-MILITAIRE' are registered:-
    Euro Copyright.jpg
    Sorry for being the bearer of this news.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Blind Pew likes this.
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Why did the show have a French name in the first place ????????
    Good luck Ian but make sure you do some very robust market research.
    Not only with potential traders but also get a 'vox pop' from potential, regular and occassional attendees before committing to much effort and raising expectation.
    Perhaps a simple survey on here,
    Will you attend? YES. NO
    Have you previously attended? YES. NO
    If YES when was the last time?
    This would give a rough estimate of what you could expect.
    If you could request the Continental clubs with on-line Forums to do the same then their findings would add to the mix and perhaps even justify the retention of Folkestone as a venue.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Blind Pew, Nige and housecarl like this.
  4. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Please, PLEASE !! let's get away from that tired, flyblown place in Folkstone. It's had it's chance, and run it's race. Time to find a new location and a new start. Time for new reputations to be made, without the "Baggage" from Euro. In other words, Time to move on, and if MTM want a stand, they can bloody well pay for it like everyone else. Ray
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Andrew - question answered, a new name is needed!(y)
  6. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

How about The U.K. Open Championship...........it works for Golf. Ray
    brian and Blind Pew like this.
  7. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ron, Del & Ray I have taken on board what you are saying and all I can say is that this is difficult as I still see that a lot of both trade and punters want Folkstone, the armouries is a no go for next year as we missed the chance and they are now fully booked up ( I contacted them on Friday).

Well my feelings are for a complete change I will have to see what my colleagues think is best. running a poll is a good idea and would go some way to seeing what people think. but again it comes down to getting on with the job in hand. if we dither, no show next year and as time goes on the will fades.

The main thing is to get dates book the hall and start to get the trade back on board, second look at the comp and the way forward with it, this show could be a winner with a few tweaks. run it at the old venue see how it goes then think about the move to something better later. the people from abroad will come if we have an incentive. Lets think about a Cash prize for the Best of show. it will bring in the big names who will want a chance to win. this in turn will bring in the punters who want to see the best.

Split the comp into a master class and a journeyman class, make it displays. up grade the awards from the pin to something more, ask the trade to sponsor some awards.

This is just thoughts but we have to start some where this was going to be the model for the Leeds Show. I can't see why it would not work for the new Euro.

a couple of names to think about ,Euro Modelling Expo, History in Miniature Expo just thoughts.

let me know what you think

Cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Blind Pew likes this.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If the plan is to keep it as a figure-biased show, I'd be inclined to emphasise the figures side of it.

So "European Figure Expo" or something along those lines. Otherwise there's a risk it'll end up being be swamped by tanks, planes and stuff like Millenium Falcons and X-Wing fighters out of "Star Wars".

- Steve
    brian, Blind Pew and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    well You are on the right track re the comps Ian , If you get a silver or gold on the journeyman class then you MUST move up the scale to the masters , a fair bit of that might depend on honesty though.
    Last year there was an entry at the ingolstadt show in the standard class where the modeller had multiple wins in the masters in other shows , albeit the organisers didn't know; it only came to light when he posted some stuff on Facebook about a month later .
    The organisers of that show are extremely nice people and far to polite to make an issue of it.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    (y)
  11. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I also have to agree with those about taking it away from Folkestone. Pretty sure the Europeans didn't stay away because it was MTM that were running it.
    Reading the feedback that was on some facebook ( and indeed this site) it was dreary Folkestone or the Judging system that were griped about a lot so you're on the right lines Ian to look at these. Might need to look at dates clashing with SMC as well.
    Next year will also have to compete with World Expo as well so it'll be hard to gauge if Europeans are going to come. Cash prizes will probably entice the pros.
    Just call the show Europa Militaria **** ' em :LOL:
    Blind Pew and Ray Stout like this.
  12. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Ian, Would you like me to contact the War Museum in Manchester? (The Imperial War Museum North) to see if they can help for next year? Ray
  13. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Here's a radical idea, why not divide the price of the hall,and advertising, between the prices for a stand. That way, the more Traders support the show, the cheaper the Trade stands are, and the show belongs to US!! The entrance money can then go to off-set the following years costs. then the new show TRULY belongs to the people most committed to the show. i.e. A TRADERS CO-OPERATIVE. Comments welcome. Ray
    housecarl and Helm like this.
  14. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hey Ian, what do you mean with "punters" ? Acc. to my dictionary this word means "people who frequent whores / go to brothels" ?
  15. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

It has been used for that purpose but only recently. The word refers usually to people who frequent Racecourses and bet on the horses, just as we"PUNTERS" frequent Model Shows, and hope we find a wining figure!!! Ray. It would help the rest of us if you can make some constructive comments to this debate. Ray
  16. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Johan, N.A. D ( need another Dictionary)
  17. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Miniature Muster 2017

Just a suggestion.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  18. Bootneck Well-Known Member

A return to Folkestone it's a "No" from me.
    Sorry Ian I appreciate you and others are working very hard but I believe you are missing a great opportunity to progress. Folkestone belongs in the past.
    Peter.
    Blind Pew, DEL, LeonChappell and 3 others like this.
  19. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Maybe a dictionary in some East-european language if I want to ask my way around in Folkestone, eh ?

But to get to the point : I think it's a bad idea to try resurrect Euro Militaire. Conditions are not the same as in the early '90ies.

Best thing British miniaturists & traders can do is to invest time and effort in your own local shows, and some of you could get together to create a new magazine about figures and figure painting; sell advertising space to traders, ask the great painters (British and international) to send in articles. It was the show reports in Military Modelling that made Euro Militaire famous. Now you also have the benefit of the internet, which we didn't have in the '80ies .

It's like Russel Crowe says in that Robin Hood movie - "you build a cathedral from the ground up" ; start something new, and start small. Don't try to resurrect that decaying corpse of EM in that decaying place Folkestone.

Is that constructive enough for you ?
    red tom and Blind Pew like this.
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Got yo think you have to build from the foundation up , could take a few years , maybe even best to miss 2017 and buy time to put something special on again .

Meanwhile Sword and Lance can fill the gap ,it is growing and is a good club show ; it could take on the roll if the organisers wished to promote beyond the club level and all passionate guys about the hobby.
    Blind Pew, Helm and Bootneck like this.