1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

No more Euro

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Eludia, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    It's not about back-stabbing Malc. I'm as vexed as anyone to see the demise of Euro as it has been a weekend I've looked forward to every year for the best part of 20 years (although life has a few times intervened to prevent me from going). But it's no good burying our heads in the sand and pretending that all was well when quite clearly it wasn't, and hadn't been for some time. People are bound to have opinions, will want to share their thoughts on what's happened and on why it's happened (which is after all what forums are all about), and there's bound to be a post-mortem. We shouldn't be falling out among ourselves about this, because I'm sure that one thing we can all agree on is that Euro (for all its issues) being no more is a very sad loss to the hobby.

- Steve

Totally agree Steve, well said.
    Everybody who has supported the show in the past or even wanted to go in the future is entitled to an opinion. It's because heads were buried in the sand that it's come to this not because people have been voicing concerns about its faults for years. The organisers allowed the show to stagnate. Successful shows strive to constantly improve and offer the punters a little extra.
  2. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well guys as Stu has said and has I've posted we are trying to get something going. the UK trade are behind us trying to get things going. it's going to take time and it's going to take the help of a group of people who have the will and time to piece it together.

The show will go on I'm sure we will have to work hard to get it where it belongs but it's not impossible. I was one who said that I would not attend Euro again as a trader in the form it was in after this years poor turn out. I made the decision based on business. I love the weekend away meeting up and all that. but when you have a small business you have to look at making a profit. the price of the tables and the lack of punters and MY Time Media not caring destroyed it. we now have a chance to change things. I'm sure we will get our friends from Europe and the rest of the world to come back to a new improved event.

So a good way for ward would be to now look to the future and see what we can do about getting this UK show back where it belongs. we are working in the background on getting some plan together, and get a group who can pull this thing together. we will want the thoughts of you guys. but most of all we will need the support of you coming to the event and making it work.

We can't do this alone we need the backing of the modelling world.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Blind Pew, Edward and mil-mart like this.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well said Ian and I'm sure it'll be the main topic of conversation at the xmas bash, looking forward to it.

Cheers Ken
  4. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Ken

I'm sure it will mate and that will be a good time to find out peoples feelings on the subject looking forward to it mate going to be a great Xmas Bash as always.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  5. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    I am going to the Christmas Bash
    First time attending ......Looking forward to it

Frank
  6. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Nige

There has been back stabbing whether you like it not, not necessarily on this forum.
    I've seen it elsewhere. Some people have had it in for Euro for some time, Have I said people are not entitled to an opinion. No.
    I worked with the show for over 20 years, so I'm sorryier than most to see its demise, and also to find out the way I did. Unfortunately there were many reasons that the show was scrapped.
    One was the lack of support, I amongst others used to go down on a Friday and volunteer and help set up. Age and health meant that many of us, could no longer assist.
    Sadly no one else volunteered to help out. That is only a small reason, but one all the same.
    So if we are to try and produce a new show of sorts, it going to require assistance.

lets concentrate on the future not the past.

Malc

Malc
    Blind Pew likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Ian

I am with you all the way ..anything let me know

Nap
    ellie likes this.
  9. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Malc

Quote from Brian " Everytime there's a bit of bad news on this forum it's like a pack of wolves going in for the kill.
    Quote from you "I agree with you on the pack of wolves, it seems they couldn't wait to stab Euro in the back."

Possible communication breakdown Malc. Personally I'm unaware of the backstabbing you speak of and can't speak for elsewhere mate ? All I see on this forum are people with opinions. In your position as a volunteer though you may have had a different experience.

The shows demise is down to Mytime where they have failed on numerous counts. There was no call for volunteers to help from them for instance. I know of someone who offered to help but was totally ignored. Interesting that there are plenty offers of help now so all Mytime had to do was ask. Its not as if they didn't have the means to do so.
    Naturally you're annoyed about Mytime (again) shocking disregard for the volunteers like yourself and shocking disregard for the figure modellers who have supported the show. I for one am grateful for all the help that you and your fellow volunteers provided that enabled me to enjoy the Euros I attended since the mid 90's (about 16 I think).
  10. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Malc, That's the WHOLE point!! I too when I went down, I helped out setting up the tables, for years, then we get too old for it, BUT the Organisers NEVER realised or appreciated what we did. The last time I went down there, I was asked to leave the hall by some "Jobsworth" until the tables have been put up and the Traders can set up???? When they realised there was little, or no help given freely, what do they do? cancel it, because they can't be arsed to muck in and do it themselves. What killed this show,? Aperthy, and Neglect by the owners, and it's been like that for so long! To put on a show like that you MUST have enthusiasm for it, and I saw precious little of that from them. WE, the Punters had a good time, IN SPITE of all that neglect, because we ARE enthusiasts, it's OUR hobby, but it wasn't theirs to them, it was purely a Cash Cow. Ray
    MCPWilk, Blind Pew, brian and 3 others like this.
  11. dallan New Member

Brian, Stuart and Ian, I couldn't agree more.

Myself and 2 friends from the Edinburgh area have traveled to Folkestone every year, 2017 would be our 30th visit to Euro
    and we definitely WANT IT.

I agree with Brian about to much negativity, although will stop short of sharing a tent on the beach with him, and with Stuart we need the Europeans, and with Ian we have to support any future plan.

Folkestone like hundreds of other former holiday destinations in the UK is in decline, I personally don't go there at a fair amount of expense to go sightseeing.

If Euro needs fixed, then Fix it, Don't Destroy it, and more importantly Support it in whatever form it takes.

My lasting disappointment of Euro 2016 is not being able to purchase Stormtroopers 54mm Highland Officer from the Crimean period which was sold out (Just pulling your leg Stuart) is it available yet?

Brian drop me a message with your e-mail, phone number, crazy we are only 40 odd miles apart.

Davy
    Blind Pew likes this.
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Negativity?? The only "negativity" I'm seeing here is negativity not towards the institution that was Euro itself but towards the owners of the show, their attitude towards it, and how that attitude has resulted in its demise. It needed a "facelift" and an injection of new ideas, but MTM just weren't bothered and so we are where we are. What I'm not seeing is any "packs of wolves" eagerly rejoicing in the fact that the show is no more. If anything it's quite the opposite, we're all gutted that it's gone.

Some guys (myself included) have questioned whether a tired & faded old seaside town like Folkestone is still the right venue for such a major show today (it may have been in 1985) but Stu made a valid point in its defence when he pointed out that "Euro" and "Folkestone" will always be associated with each other. Personally I think it could survive a move to another town, but tradition can be a powerful thing.

Events like Euro are also a boost to the local economy for that weekend, with the hotels and B&Bs full, and punters spending money in local pubs, restaurants and shops. I don't know how many other similar events Leas Cliff Hall hosts, but Folkestone can ill afford to lose any of them because as Davy says above, it's not really a place you go for sightseeing. It doesn't even have a ferry port any more. So local businesses will suffer as well from the knock-on effect. All in all it's a sad & sorry state of affairs.

- Steve
    Blind Pew, housecarl and Nige like this.
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    OK guys let me just say this a small group of us are now working at getting info together. and have been contacting the trade it will take time but we will do our best to come up with it. the trade that I have talked to have said they are behind us. so I say again give us time it's not going to be easy MTM are not responding to the question about the name and the possibility of passing it on. I have contacted the leas to get as much info as we can get so a business plan can be put together. again this takes time. we shall see. but please get behind what we are trying to do. as at the end of the day. we can supply the tools it's up to you to use them and create something special again.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Blind Pew, megroot, brian and 4 others like this.
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Go with the name anyway. as the saying goes, its easier to seek forgiveness than seek permission..!!(y)
    Blind Pew, tomifune and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ^^^... until notice of intent to file an expensive lawsuit lands on your mat anyway! :eek:

- Steve
    Bootneck likes this.
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    My thoughts exactly Steve
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Do they own the naming rights , did they purchase them, or was it just passed on , anyway they pulled the plug so what would be the point of them keeping the name .
    MM will go the same way eventually as the internet bites harder every year .
    Blind Pew, mick3272 and valiant like this.
  18. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If its not a registered trade mark, brand name or there's no record of copyright, then Im pretty sure its free to use...
    Blind Pew likes this.
  19. mick3272 A Fixture

What about "THE NEW BREXIT Military Modeling Show."

No?

Just a thought .:D:whistle:

Mick
    Blind Pew, Babelfish and Helm like this.
  20. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think their will be copyright on the trade mark. the mane is easy just Keep Euro in but add to it then you get around it. a trade make is something that can be designed. but until we get something back from MTM then it's plan B new name and trade mark.

I'm sure to have details for the LEAS next week with regards to everything I asked for. then it will be getting a team to work on getting this this going. as I have said give us time and we will see what we can do.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Blind Pew, napoleonpeart and mick3272 like this.