1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

No more Euro

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Eludia, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input Stuart, I'm sure Ian & yourself have weighed up the risks & challenges of putting on a Euro style show & your response tells me painful as it is Euro is finished. No sponsorship coming forward.

On another note via facebook, Andy Argent has been in touch with MTM re Euro and invited to make an offer for Euro. Not sure what MTM are selling but my guess is only the intellectual rights to the name "Euro Militaire "
    MTM squeezing every last drop out of the show but then again they are a business. Not sure what Andy has done about this invitation.
  2. brian A Fixture

Scotland

I think you'll find that with Brexit,the Brits have voted with their feet,and i expect the Europeans will fall into line in the near future.

I've seen pictures of the SMC show, and grant you, it got a good turn out,but what's put me off is it seems to me that it's being held in an old aircraft hangar with the wriggly tin roof (corrugated iron) and the lighting for the figures is a joke,and that came from the horses mouth,but not from the fantasy brigade funnily enough.I've no desire whatsoever to go to Eindoven,but can understand others who would like to go.

As for Telford it's always been a large show as it caters for a broad spectrum of hobbies.One thing that caught my eye is you said that "for hobbyists run by hobbyists"Do you mean that they don't have a business sponsor and that it's run by the punters?
    Hope to see you soon Nige.
    Your mate Brian
    Nige likes this.
  3. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Brian, you have not waisted 30 years going to Euro I know they are only memories now but I have had many an enjoyable chat with you and others on the balcony at the Leas.

It's not sticking the knife into the dying corpse of Euro. MTM did that. It's practicality things have to be paid for and if sponsors aren't coming forward? I think both Stuart & Ian recognition this.

Modern thinking is needed, I know you don't like the comparison to Telford but look how this show has become the largest in the world and grown over 50 years. Modern facilities with on site hotels. Ipms membership is currently £23 (adult) but this gives you free entry to the show if you choose to go. They have moved locations as the show grew,a gamble.

From my point of view it's not to be negative towards Euro I have on occasion looked forward to Euro more than my summer holiday. The world has changed, internet,easier travel etc. Even for us old timers.
    Peter.
  4. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    In all the years i've been in this hobby of ours, i've never heard, or read any negativity about any other shows in the U.K. or overseas. Makes me wonder why i've wasted the last 30 years going to Euro.
    I await patiently for the next knife to be plunged into the dying corpse of Euro.

Too many wonderful memories to have wasted time mate but these shows don't last forever unless they move with the times. Personally I did notice a marked downturn in not only continentals but visitors/vendors over the past few years. Remember saying to you I was done and ready to go home after the first day it was that quiet. No need for any knives - its gone. :sorry:

I've seen pictures of the SMC show, and grant you, it got a good turn out, but what's put me off is it seems to me that it's being held in an old aircraft hangar with the wriggly tin roof (corrugated iron) and the lighting for the figures is a joke, and that came from the horses mouth, but not from the fantasy brigade funnily enough. I've no desire whatsoever to go to Eindoven, but can understand others who would like to go.

Only seen pictures myself mate - but isn't that what prompted us to go to Euro in the first place ? Aircraft hanger ? The same could be said about Telford - only its 3 x aircraft hangers :LOL:. As long as the venue is warm/cool, has food and drink and is full of like mindeds (y)

As for Telford it's always been a large show as it caters for a broad spectrum of hobbies. One thing that caught my eye is you said that "for hobbyists run by hobbyists "Do you mean that they don't have a business sponsor and that it's run by the punters?
    As far as I know they don't have/need a sponsor. Profits from each show are banked. It's primarily run by IPMS committee for its IPMS members (of which there are 3200), complete with annual dinner on the Saturday night of the comp. I'll take down a copy of their magazine for you that has the annual accounts to give an idea of what they spend (yes they have their own bi monthly magazine free to its members). Pity they're not big on figures eh ? :LOL:
    Look forward to meeting up with you again also bud. Let's grab a coffee early in the new year (y)
    brian likes this.
  5. brian A Fixture

Scotland
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Maybe it would be worth a contact with the IPMS, to have a Figure hall/section within the SMW Show, as there are now many more figure traders/modellers who attend...?

Just thinking out loud...?(y)
  7. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom

Would have to become members of IPMS or become an IPMS club. Thinking outside of box though (y)
    valiant likes this.
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As I understand it, hypothetically, if "Planetfigure" became an affiliated club, we would only need 5 IPMS members minimum to have a table at the show.......(y)
    Nige likes this.
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm an IPMS member, so that's one.

- Steve
  10. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
  11. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Im head of IPMS Sweden since 6 years.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    Nige and Bootneck like this.
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    see you at Ingolstadt then Janne
  13. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Im also IPMS, so there's 4!
    Nige likes this.
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This thread is going round in circles and what I can see is there is no real appetite to put on an international show in the UK .
    Cost of £8000 seems to be being the general Quote . for the hire of a hall ; seems a bit over the top to me .
    Scale Scotland a one day event in an airport hotel I'm sure didn't cost £4000 maybe the guys for scale could disclose the cost .
    Nige and brian like this.
  15. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Looks like the only show i'll be going to next year will be Sword and Lance in Darlington,as it has a decent display of figures and really top entries in the figure classes.It's had Mike Blank attending one year and Bill Horan another year.
    Although i admire the amount of work goes into model aircraft and AFVs,plastic is not my scene:sleep:
    Brian
    Helm likes this.
  16. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Not exactly anywhere near the quality and quantity that Euro had.I would expect it would cost more like £400 and the rest would be made up by the cost of the drink:ROFLMAO:
    Helm likes this.
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The Hotel makes the money on the drink Brian , What makes Euro so dear ? is it because it has hired the same venue for over a decade , if so then they should have moved on .
    I can't see that place costing four K a day and like the traders the caterers turn up pay the rent and take their chances
    Blind Pew likes this.
  18. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Sword and Lance in Darlington has a decent display of figures and really top entries in the figure classes - stop bumming yourself up man :LOL: :LOL: - Is a great show though mate and worthy of attending. You not doing Edinburgh next year ? We'll need to work on you for SMC ;)
    Helm likes this.
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Darlington is a very good show Nige which I have attended on three occasions and is attracting people like Bill Horan and the Swede :) it could very well pick up from Euro and once more we may have a Northern Militaire accessible at a reasonable cost to the whole country and the parking is free ; traders can get their vehicles within yards of the front door . Then there is Leeds
    Blind Pew, brian and Nige like this.
  20. Nige Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Been there the last 2 years Ron (wife came last year as well) and been most impressed. Lovely show run by great little club. Got guests lined up for next year as well - can't remember who though :LOL:. Its defo on my list.
    brian likes this.