1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

No more Euro

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Eludia, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Blind Pew, pmfs, Huw63 and 1 other person like this.
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Instead of fixing it they scrapped it.
    Well done My Time Media.
    Mick
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew, DEL and 4 others like this.
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There used to be a lot of superb shows, from the Model Engineer Exhibition, BMSS Nationals etc. plus local shows. Perhaps it is time for some of the big traders to resurrect the show, remembering that's how Euromilitaire started.

Mike
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew, Huw63 and 3 others like this.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Who didn't see this coming??? Sad, to say the least.
    Rather than pick the bones of the causes, which are more than obvious can I simply express my disgust.
    The announcement refers to diminishing attendance and entries as being at fault..........this is the effect NOT the cause.
    Rather than take responsibility for ignoring ideas and suggestions for improvement they cite the originators for getting older and dying..........shame on you. Had changes been embraced Euro would have been the dynamic show we modeller knew it could be.........this is nothing short of death by deliberate neglect.
    D
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    The reason ...

My Time Nedia grabbing the morning hey each year and not using it to improve ...

Gutted and disgusted

Nap
  6. mick3272 A Fixture

Del,
    Perfect I agree 110%. Well put.
    Mick
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew and DEL like this.
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Sad to live through and see and follow an era to its early grave. o_O

Perhaps this will open up for a new show in the UK to fill its void?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  8. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All I just posted something on here in another link but will say it here again. I for one would look to doing something to get a premier show back in the UK. we mothballed the Leeds show as traders wanted to do Euro so we had to cancel. what I would say now is if any trader would like to get together to see if we can do something with this then contact me. we had some great plans for the show and would love to see if we can muster up support and see what we can do.

I know the name would have to change as My Time Media would charge the earth for the rights to the name. but we could easily come up with something new. well the offer to talk is here I will see if we get a response. if the feeling is that Folkstone is the place people want it then lets see what the response to what i've said.

lets see

Cheers

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Blind Pew, MMM, Mat Lambert and 6 others like this.
  9. mick3272 A Fixture

Mods.
    I think we have three threads going at the moment about the downfall would it be possible to combine them ??????
    Mick
    Blind Pew, Uruk-Hai and DEL like this.
  10. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I thought this would happen. Without getting into a libel issue I think some people have proffited very well from this show over the years and now numbers are down the show is to be dropped like a hot brick.
    I agree totally with Del on this. Shame on them for pushing the blame on others.
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I've only just heard the news,although the writing was on the wall,it's still a huge shock for me,I attended 24 out of the 31 years and made lots of friendships along the way,just a great weekend and one I will sadly miss,it's the one weekend in my calendar I loved,I'm just gutted about the whole thing.
    Dewi Evans and DEL like this.
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    +1 to that with bells on.

- Steve
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    well in the words of a great songwriter who just passed " That was no way to say goodby"
    Blind Pew, Diegoff, Huw63 and 2 others like this.
  14. mick3272 A Fixture

Brian.
    Euro may have died but friendships dont.
    Mick
    Dewi Evans, pmfs, megroot and 4 others like this.
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's correct Mick,that's something no one can take away from me
    Dewi Evans, mick3272 and DEL like this.
  16. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well guys I have been in contact with a couple of fellow traders and we are going to see what response we get from others to see if we can do something about keeping it going at Folkstone. it's not going to be easy but we shall see if it can be done . so don't be down harted yet the 7th Cav just might save the day.

Ian

www.elli8esminiatures.com
    Dewi Evans, pmfs, OldTaff and 3 others like this.
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Folkstone actually became part of the problem Ian , with banning reenactors , the venue hall and miserable hotels , lack of parking etc
    Blind Pew, Jazz, Diegoff and 4 others like this.
  18. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In 2000 they relocated it a couple of miles down the coast to Sandgate while Leas Cliff Hall was being renovated (not that you'd have noticed much difference afterwards!). I can't recall the name of the place but it was a much more modern venue with plenty of light and which I recall as being much more open and spacious inside (at least that's how I remember it). I think the venue is one of a number of things that became part of the problem with Euro - all old-fashioned and a bit shabby. The same old "retired Colonel" types fronting it for donkeys years also helped perpetuate something of a stuffy & dated image as well (in my very humble opinion).

For all its problems in recent years though, I still enjoyed the show - but lately as much for the social side of things as much as for anything else.

- Steve
    Blind Pew, Jazz and smudger1960 like this.
  19. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron yes your right but it's a double edge sword we wanted to do the Armouries in Leeds but people still wanted Falkstone so what do you do? Euro can be revived but it will take some doing and revamping the whole thing and taking a look at what works and what does not.

We shall see if their is the will from the trade to get behind a rescue plan. I was one who talked about the My Time media not doing enough and making money out of it and putting nothing back. I was not going to Euro next year as I refused to put more money in thier pockets. now is a chance to try and put right what was so wrong. but to do that it will take a good team and support. from the trade and most of all you the punter.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Blind Pew and Jazz like this.
  20. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agree with Ron about Folkestone itself becoming an issue - a town (like its run-down hotels) and Euro itself living largely on past glories. Somewhere like Canterbury would have been better I reckon - still convenient enough to attract overseas footfall, but a bigger town with more amenities & attractions, and also one that is steeped in history.

- Steve
    Blind Pew, Jazz, Diegoff and 3 others like this.