1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

WIP Critique No Laughing- Part Deux

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Nov 14, 2012.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Another night's progress on this sculpt... If I may stress, my first.
    The Rickenbacher is 90% complete. Cleaned up the boots, fleshed the torso, took a shot at a pair of boot cut jeans...

Tonight, the western style shirt.

Any hints and help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Colin

IMGP0105.jpg IMGP0088.jpg IMGP0093.jpg IMGP0095.jpg IMGP0097.jpg IMGP0100.jpg IMGP0101.jpg IMGP0102.jpg IMGP0103.jpg IMGP0104.jpg IMGP0107.jpg IMGP0109.jpg IMGP0111.jpg IMGP0112.jpg
    tiberius57, Meehan34, Edorta and 3 others like this.
  2. Stephen Ward Active Member

United-States
    Dude, save yourself some trouble and paint the seam lines on with a western-cut shirt. Just sculpt the basics of the shirt. I sculpted a figure of myself and my wife for our wedding cake, and I had a pearl-snap style western shirt...painting the seam lines at the shoulders and on the back is the way to go. It's looking real cool so far, looking forward to seeing how it comes together.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. GregMcEvoy Member

Canada
    Hey Colin. The bass looks great so far, good call using etch brass for the pickguard. One suggestion I've got is that you fill out the legs a bit from the knee to the ankle. Bootcut jeans don't taper quite that much then flare so much at the end. As it stands his jeans are a little reminiscent of the pants that you'd see a fusilier from the AWI wearing or something. Overall great progress so far, you've got a handle on the mechanics of it all.

I also have to agree with Stephen on the western shirt seam lines. It can be really affective painted on at the scale you're working in.

Awesome dude!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Steve... good idea about the seams. I have a closet full of black, pearl-button shirts to use as reference ;)

I see what you mean Greg... now that I look at them, the pants do look like trousers with built in gaiters. I'll fill in between the cuff and the knee next session. The material for the pick guard is what I've been using instead of the lead foil stuff. It's actually the tube from Deep Heat rub... works great as a foil substitute.

Thanx for the advice gentlemen

Colin
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    I think we don't laugh
    This is promissing
    Keep going
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nothing here to laugh about Colin. Great start and excellent subject.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    That guitar is looking REALLY good!
    I agree about the lower legs, they need to just be a little fuller, even though they're in bootcut jeans!

keep working on it, looking forward to more progress!!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Miro Steve Eduardo and Alex. Your kind words are appreciated. I still feel a little hamfisted when I'm handling the putty... practice, practice and more practice!
    I'm gonna try some different mixes of putties and see how that works out... especially as I get into more detail work.

BTW Alex, how's your sculpt coming along... I was hoping to pick your brain and learn from your mistakes ;)
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    OK.... Help!!!:wtf::nailbiting::arghh:
    I've been working on the shirt on ol' Lemmy and I'm having a hell of a time with the wrinkles and folds. What's the better route, trying to push the folds into the volume of the material or creating the volume to shape, then adding putty to show the ridges of the folds and wrinkles?

Hopefully someone can weigh in and set me in a better direction. I've already had a couple of false starts with this.

Thanx in advance for any helpful ideas

Colin
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Colin - I find it better to impress the folds. I use colour shaper rubber tipped brushes or even a used paint brush to sculpt with. I also use metail wax carving tools and wooden sculpting tools from Michaels. Even a tooth pick or paintbrush handle. If you are using an epoxy putty, you can smooth out the creases and fold with a bit of water on most types.

Colin
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    thats what I ve been trying to do... toothpick, sculpting tools, dental tools.... at around midnight, I even considered trying a ball peen hammer but decided against it. I guess patience and practice is what i need :(

Thanx Colin
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Get to the putty before it cures too much as well. I would also suggest sculpey for practicing. We should get together and compare notes/methods some time.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. vincenzo Well-Known Member

Italy
    Wow Colin!! What Im watching here!!!!! I hope I was a little part of your inspiration!!
    Real good work! I love his face
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. GregMcEvoy Member

Canada
    I would suggest pressing in the folds, you can actually push the putty a bit with your tool to get more sweeping fold, then smooth out with water (although I use spit, I think Mike Blank told me about that one years ago...). Just be careful not to tear the putty so only do this while it is still pretty uncured. Once that form is dried I sometimes go back and enhance or correct the larger folds to smooth things out.

Hope that helps. Rock on!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    That's true, its how he showed me to do it too..works out !
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    i had this project in my head for a while but seeing yours caused me to get off my butt and start working!
    thanx for that Vincenzo
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    colin alex and greg.... Im gonna try this advice this weekend. Just gotta keep working at it...

Thanx guys

colin
  19. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    The bass is awesome! Very nice posture.
    Keep going Colin. It will look great at the end. Watching closely! (y)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno
    What are you working on now?

Colin