1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

NKVD Officer

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Piotr Czyz, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Hi all,

I would like to present you my new bust. That's very "fresh" subject for me - I've started to sculpt a few moths ago - so I don't have too much experience (that is my third piece) - and also it is fresh for me because I didn't paint any bust so far - so that's something completely new for me both for sculpting (because of scale) and painting.
    That will be a NKVD officer - I always start sculpting from the face, so when I have finished the face it looked evil so I decided to make a Russian nkvd officer (I also found a nice reference photo).
    The coat (dark, gray clay) is in a pre-sculpting stage - It will be made from milliput, but I wanted to have a fast outlook how it will look.

[IMG]

All comments as always are appreciated.

Regards, Piotr
  2. Pete_H New Member

The face looks really cool - literally the tightl-lipped arrogance of an NKVD (political) officer (y)

Cheers!
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great start! Looking forward to see it finished up. Great way to use clay to see what the final piece will look like.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Piotr, Your third piece? You should be proud of what you have accomplished with your sculpting. I like the face very much. I would suggest working on the neck a bit as it angles in sharply almost to a V shape. You may also want to "square up" the shoulders a bit. Keep sculpting you're going in the right direction.~Gary
  5. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Hi, thank you for your advice. Please notice that I will add additional layer of milliput (for the coat) so the shoulder/neck angle will be a little different than now. But thanks for your remark - I will check this angle at home (I'm working now ;| ).

Regards, Piotr
  6. Antlion Member

Canada
    Hi, Piotr...
    Great bust - my first reaction, like a previous poster, was the mouth - it's very realistic, and I think a nice change to the 'full lips' that most busts have; well done. I'm looking forward to the finished project...paint and all!
  7. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Hi all,

below you can find my bust's photos (which was finished more than a month ago).

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Regards, Piotr
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent Work Mate!

That really does look very good, the face especially! Congras on superb work, especially for your third!

I know it's too late to change something, but look at the straps on yor next project, try to make the straps look like they are sitting 'in' the clothing a bit, but thats just a minor! Keep it up!
  9. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Thanks Anders,

due to low quality of those pictures is hard to notice that on the bust's back straps are pressed into the coat. And because that should be thick and stiff coat the front strap (top part) is protruding a little bit (I should be flat, though). The lower strap's part is pressed and caused the coat's deformation (again it's hard to see it). I will try to find a photo to illustrate it (because I made this sculpture on the model of the real photo). Straps are made from lead so will be easy to grind or even bend it.

Again thanks for your comment – as always it’s useful because I think that the miniature sculptures should not always followed the real life models and should be a little bit different to imitate world in the right scale. So If you feel that it doesn't look perfect I will change it :).

I should it paint now but unfortunately I don't have enough time (sculpting is really time consuming... :) ).

Regards,

Piotr