1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Nimrod's Huron

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Mike McGregor, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Mike McGregor Member

Here's the figure i've been working on for a while now... I think it's 120mm, I'm using oils.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Let me know what you think...

Mike McGregor
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Mike,
    He is looking good so far. The red is hard to get a handle on as it took me awhile to be happy with mine. A little more contrast would help. I like the flesh tones so far and look forward to seeing your next step. This figure has been elusive for me to get a hold of one. Mine has been back ordered since April. I hope you post more photos of your progress.
  3. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ???

120mm ? Can you tell me who is the manufacturor, and where can I see more of their stuff ?

Painting red in oils is not easy ... you handled it well (y) I like the colour of the buckskin leggings too !
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is a really nice figure, one I haven't seen before. Not my period of interest, but good sculpting and pose!

Very nice painting, Mike! I think you absolutely nailed the colors on the leggings! Suggestion - probably too late since you're painting, but you could cut two or three of the tassels on the leggings off and re-do them in putty. If they were flying about and standing off the leggings, wouldn't that look great? And the red, gold and black of the coat all look super!

Maybe it is the lighting in the photos, but the flesh doesn't look dark enough to me. Just my opinion.

What kind of base do you have in mind?

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here is a listing of their 120mm figures.

Nemrod 120mm figures
  6. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Thats one I got in my cupboard too. Thanks for sharing.
    And red is indeed a difficult colour.
  7. Mike McGregor Member

I used:

Quang's recipe for the flesh,
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.p...02&f=201&t=5688
    John Long's guide lines for the buckskin
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4361
    and Xenofon Symeonides' mix for the jacket
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.p...british+officer

overall I'm pritty happy with the results, although I'd agree that the red needs some more contrast (and a flat coat) I'm not sure what I want to tackle next, but I'm eyeing up the lace and faceings on the jacket.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, keep posting them please!

Mike.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This has nothing to do with your Huron, Mike, but using Guy's link I took a quick peek at Nimrod's other 120mm figures.

I bought a Nimrod USMC Belleau Wood figure some time back. It is very nice and the shotgun is a great touch, but - small pet peeve - the sculptor forgot the USMC emblem on the helmet! According to everything I've read this was an 'issue' for the Marines. They resisted wearing the same uniforms as the Army until their forest greens were in tatters and lice-ridden and their officers gave them no choice.

All the best,
    Dan