1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

News September 2019: Chronos Miniatures CHM-54186 & -54186(M)

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by CHRONOS, Sep 24, 2019.

1. CHRONOS A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Edorta, NeilW, Oda and 4 others like this.
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Great figure, and one I'd like to add to my collection! Just to clarify, though- 54mm is 1/32 scale, not 1/30. Your Tatyana Romanova is a true 1/32 figure, for example. 1/30 is closer to 60mm. So is this figure 1/32 or the larger 1/30?

Prost!
    Brad
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  3. CHRONOS A Fixture

Russian-Federation

Thank. We have several sculptors and of course the size of the figures may vary. I always ask to make figures on a scale of 1/30. This is 60-61 mm the crown of the head. Yes, Tatyana Romanova is not a big figure. But do not forget - it was a young fragile girl! And her height was much less than the growth of a large man.
    Oda, Zastrow.cuirassier and theBaron like this.
  4. svt A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Tatiana’s height was 175 cm. On a 1/30 scale, this is 58.3 mm on the crown. If it were 1/32, then the height of the figure would be only 54.7 mm.

01.jpg
  5. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    That we all agree, the reference scale is the 54mm, 54mm measured from the feet up to eye level!(y)
    And even if it is important to know if it's 1/30 or 1/32 °, you will not judge a model at its height, but its beauty!:):love:
    Anyway how to measure a figurine moving, sitting, riding ...:confused::wacky:
    The only usable ladder is the weapon that has a regulatory length!:sleep:
    So how to do when there is no regulatory weapon?:wacky:
    Oda and captnenglish like this.
  6. Oda A Fixture

One more stunner by one of my most favorite companies.54,60 0r 61 makes no difference to me as long as it's up to Chronos' high standards.

Oda.
    Zastrow.cuirassier and Reptor like this.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    If you're displaying a figure on a plinth, individually, then it probably doesn't matter all that much.

If you do as I do, and you put together larger displays, then proportionality is a criterion. 1/30, translated by different manufacturers differently (as is 54mm), is simply too large for most figures in that scale to be displayed alongside figures in 1/32/54mm.

Do not assume that I expect some uniformity across all of the figures in a display. I understand that in any group of people, there will be natural variations. And I also account for criteria for the period I collect, the 18th century. So, I expect a cuirassier to be bigger than a hussar, for example. Guard figures should be larger, since most sovereigns sought out taller, larger men for their guard units. As long as the figures look good proportionately, they will work.

For an example to see where figures were made to a specific size, without regard to proportions, look at Stadden's classic figures. His Prussian hussars were as big as his Prussian cuirassiers. His Ziethen figure is as big as his Seydlitz. But they're all 56mm.

Again, figures made to 1/30 generally look bigger proportionately than figures made to 1/32/54mm. A good example to illustrate this principle is Tamiya's 1/35 figures, placed alongside Monogram's old 1/32 figures. The Tamiya figures are proportionately smaller and do not work with Monogram's figures.

And we don't all agree that 54mm is measured from the feet to eye level. Some manufacturers measure it from the soles of the feet to the top of the (bare) head. That's another complication.

No, this is a nice figure, but I'm afraid it's too big proportionately to go with my other Russian SYW figures.

As far as Romanova goes, I'm not finishing her as the Tsar's daughter. I'm converting her to a German princess as an honorary colonel-in-chief of a Uhlan regiment, so I don't really care how tall Tatyana was. All that matters to me is that the figure fits in proportionately with my 54mm figures.

Prost!
    Brad
  8. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    The age-old discussion . . . let's review:
    Scale is a definitive reproduction in miniature; if a sword is 36 inches in length, it will measure a representative 36 inches in whatever scale is selected. 1/32nd is a scale.
    In our hobby/artform, the classic "54mm" designation is a Size, not a Scale.
    With respect, Zastrow, we cannot agree that 54mm refers in every case to a mythical sole-to-eye measurement. We all use the term "54mm", and we generally know what we mean by doing so, but in truth the term has no real definition. Even the origin of the 54mm size is subject to conjecture and debate. Trying to equate the 54mm size to a specific scale is as frustrating a task as trying to empty a glass of water with a fork!
    I concur with your comment "The only usable ladder is the weapon that has a regulatory length", and by extension, with Brad's contention that regardless of stated scale or size, figures from different producers sometimes can appear together, and at other times cannot.
    The comment from the manufacturer, Chronos, is particularly relevant here - although he requests a standard scale, the finished product may not always meet this exact standard, the usual variances in human size notwithstanding.
    Ultimately, the figure should be judged and appreciated on its own merits, regardless of the stated scale or size. Proportions should generally be pleasing to the eye, and weapons and such should be created in some scale (hopefully stated) to ensure consistency.
    Don
    theBaron and svt like this.
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    C'mon, Don! Anyone who went to Lehigh should be able to figure out how to do that! :D

Prost!
    Brad
    Don Johnson likes this.
  10. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Brad, At no time did I say that I didn’t know how to perform that trick!
    theBaron likes this.
  11. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Go Mountain Hawks!
    (though "Engineers" was better)
    Don Johnson likes this.