1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

News August 2021: Chronos Miniatures CHM-54249, CHM-54249(M) & CHM-75054

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by CHRONOS, Aug 23, 2021.

1. CHRONOS A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Kevtk135, Billy Dickinson and Aumakua like this.
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Whilst there's no denying this is an excellent sculpt and well cast, I just don't "get" this concept of sculpting a female figure with a world-class chest exposed and then wearing some sort of outfit to give it a pseudo historical or military context. If people want to paint the naked female form as a figure, then why not just do them as complete nudes or wearing lingerie etc. and drop the pretence of trying to introduce a historical element for perceived respectability.

Or alternatively of course and if it's (really) "just a flesh painting exercise and not titillation" ( no pun intended!), then why not sculpt these girlie figures with the sort of more realistic physiques seen on many females going into pubs and kebab shops on a Friday night.....?

Gary
  3. CHRONOS A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    I do what I want to do. I don't have to prove or explain anything to you!
  4. nig-g Active Member

I couldn’t agree more with Gary.
  5. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No one is asking you to.

This however is a members forum and your items are presented to the membership for their consideration, comments and purchase as they deem fit. If all you want (expect) are platitudes and 100% positive responses and can't handle any alternative submission or observation, then you may want to consider whether to show them or not..?

Gary
  6. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nobody seems to make this argument about Male figures with an exposed chest (barbarians, Celts, Greek Hoplites, Gladiators, etc..) :cool:
    Osebor, custer760 and Nordman like this.
  7. nig-g Active Member

Sorry Henk. There’s a world of difference…..this is simply salacious.
    Banjer, DaddyO and Redcap like this.
  8. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The difference is that those individuals are historical fact whereas where is the evidence for obligatory statuesque and nubile women ( never 'Plain Janes') running about with swords and armour which leaves their vitals unprotected and by chance, just happen to allow their T & A to hang out....or is there now evidence that the Amazons existed?

I can see where this is going so I'm not getting into any p155ing contests on here and won't post further on the topic.

Ultimately, if this stuff floats your boat in the hobby, then each to their own and all that.

Gary
  9. Nap Moderator

England

No one disputes that as your right but all members need to remember this forum is for all modellers and we have both male and female members .....so all need to respect comments and their personal feelings

The subject type is not for everybody and some will find this sort disrespectful to the female modellers

I will watch this and if needed close the thread

I highlight this https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/planetfigure-community-posting-guidelines.68298/

Feel free to pm me

Nap
  10. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    I will get a 75mm Resin copy...the work is extraordinary...but I will add thin drapery to the upper part of the body. Just my preference...no insult intended to the sculptor.
    Nap likes this.
  11. svt A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    It seems to me that those who do not understand what this figurine is about simply did not read the name of the product line.
    But this is highlighted at the very beginning. And in theory, as I understand it, after that there should be no questions regarding the historical reliability of the figurine.
    As for obscenity, many cultures in human history did not perceive women's breasts as obscenity. It is indecent to demonstrate it in some communities, but look at the mass of sculptural monuments, paintings or graphics that have come down to us, where artists and sculptors of past eras depicted nudity. Is that obscenity too?
    Tony Dawe, Nordman and custer760 like this.
  12. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I was responding tongue in cheek Gary ;). I dont disagree with your sentiment, there is a lot off gratuitous nudity out there. I like some of it, and dont like a lot of it. I dont think using 'historical accuracy' is going to help with any subject from roughly before the 8th-9th Century, because contemporary sources are sketchy at best..
    Redcap likes this.
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    We'd need to trade our brushes, for rollers if they used the majority around here. That said I believe there is some historical evidence that Celtic women fought alongside men, whether they were naked as some of the men I don't know
    Steve
    Henk likes this.
  14. dwhitford Active Member

United-States

Respect should go both directions- as one should have a right to an opinion, one should also have a right to create what they want. A differing opinion in this case is not right or wrong, but just a different point of view. I don't believe that there is a "pretense of trying
    to introduce a historical element for perceived respectability"- after all it has been stated that this is fantasy. If there was no market for these types of figures, then they would not be made. I happen to like this type of figure, along with the pin-up/nose art variety-
    as apparently others do too, now & in the past (think of the Phoenix Follies line, etc.). I do understand that some do not like these types of figures. There are certain varieties of figures that I don't "get"- but that does not mean they should not exist. If you are enjoying
    this hobby & building & painting the the kind of figures you like- more power to you.

-DW
    tomifune, KuK_Grenadier, Nap and 2 others like this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For me, scantily-clad Amazon-like supermodel types wielding large killing weapons are the "late-war pointing Germans" of the fantasy genre. I'm not saying I'd never paint one (in fact I have Black Sun's "Savage Beauty" in the stash) but I tend to just glaze over now whenever I see yet another one.

- Steve
    theBaron and Henk like this.
  16. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I was thinking along those lines, but didnt want to broaden the argum.. discussion...:D
  17. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
  18. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Whilst largely indifferent to the subject, the imagination, quality, and execution of the sculpt is first rate. I have often wondered how a woman would fight bare chested, the momentum of a couple of kilograms hanging off the front of you would affect balance. If this woman were to come at me, I'm not sure whether I'd run for the hills or be stabbed because I was distracted. Probably stabbed.
  19. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    There are accounts by Roman commentators that Barbarian women did indeed go into battle alongside their men , barebreasted . How often this occurred is not known, but it does have some historical context. It would certainly have an intimidatory effect on their enemies ,to say the least !
    In any case, this is a fine sculpt....I like the Battersea-type shield.

Alan
    Osebor and newtonk like this.
  20. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Yes, it being a relatively recent thing that breasts were sexualised.
    OldTaff likes this.