1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Newby - seeking help

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by SimonC, Feb 16, 2021.

1. SimonC Member

Hi, I have just starting this amazing hobby and have just purchased Mitches Military Models - The Coldstream Guards defending Hougoumont model.

I am working on the base and have added some real brick parts and brick dust actually from Hougoumont, is there anyway I can fix these onto the models? I have used modelling glue but it is not really sticking. Is the any thing like matt spray glue that may work? any recommendations gratefully received. I am also struggling to get the green moss to have a matt finish.

thank you for your assistance.

20210216_180942.jpg 20210216_180952.jpg
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd just use PVA, but you might need to thin it a bit. Or 24hour araldite, but any excess will show up.
    Occasionally you get a glossy area, but a touch of matt varnish will disguise that (I'm presuming you are not painting the brick chunks)

Likewise the moss will be easily stuck with PVA.

The only spray adhesive I've used that might work is permanent photo mount (in the red can), but it is very effective at coating the entire area so I wouldn't recommend it

Paul
    SimonC and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Simon

I don't do groundwork as I only paint busts but think I have read something about hairspray being used or PVA

I am sure more knowledgeable will comment

Do introduce yourself in the Welcome Aboard part as well

Happy benchtime

Nap

I see Daddy0 man of much knowledge has posted .....nice one mate
    DaddyO and SimonC like this.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Hiya Simon, I'd go for a layer of Milliput, embed the bricks.
    When it's all nearly dry press on the figures.
    That way you avoid floating feet.(y)
    DaddyO, Nap and SimonC like this.
  5. SimonC Member

thank you some really good advice
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Anytime Simon.(y)
    Loads here, and YouTube is also a great resource.
    SimonC likes this.
  7. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Hi Simon

I use thinned PVA over a painted base. It dries slightly gloss but as Paul says, a drop of matt varnish will sort that, and also stabilize the topping. Sprayfix photo mount is OK but it is a bit indiscriminate so best used on larger areas.
    I like what you have done so far(y)

Phil
  8. Zim PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Try matte Mod Podge like PVA glue but will dry to a matte finish.
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, if you mean how to stick the broken bits of brick, and vegetation, I'll second the PVA glue. If you're here in the US, we also call it white glue, or some people refer to a popular brand, Elmer's. As Paul suggests, you might thin it a little. I'll use equal parts glue and water, and brush a thin layer on the area, then sprinkle the vegetation over it.

If you mean attaching the brick wall parts to the base, I would drill holes in the parts and in the base, to use some pins for additional strength, and use a 2-part epoxy glue.

I don't know what you meant by modeling glue, but if it was a glue meant for attaching styrene parts together, you don't want to use that for any of these applications. That kind of glue is formulated to weld styrene parts together by softening or melting them slightly along the join, and when it cures, its a solid bond. It isn't really meant for gluing other materials.

Hope that helps!
    Brad
    Airkid, DaddyO and SimonC like this.
  10. SimonC Member

Thank you for all your advice, i will try some pva glue and then put some matt varnish over the top.
    Ki d regards
    Airkid likes this.