1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

newbie searching some information...

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by lorrain, Feb 1, 2021.

1. lorrain New Member

Hello i'm not new into modelling (severals years ago i m into airplane modelling) and nowadays i love to make airplaines and i m fall in love with miniature.

Important annoying question....... I have now only Lacquer paint (gunze) That i love....

WHICH COLOR should i buy for brushwork and airbrush.... ENAMEL OR NEW ACRYLICS???

THE final visual apparence is different between this two medium? I have found always acryl too much "chalky" and i always loved humbrol....but in 25 years....the world is changed....

i have seen the best miniature master as Horan, van Gils use enamel.....this just confirm my impression.......

i m glad to hear your impression
  2. Henkm Well-Known Member

Opinions differ on what is the best paint. There are still people using humbrol, artist oils but I think the large majority nowadays uses acrylics. You can take a look around the 'completed' forum to see the visual appearance.
  3. Graham A Fixture

England
    The ‘best’ paint is simply the one you are happy using. A dozen figure painters will give you a dozen different answers and trying out different paints and techniques is the only way to find what suits you best. I use acrylic and oils but I have yet to establish a method I can be consistent at. As far as I know, Humbrol enamels are great paints, sadly the same cannot be said for their acrylics.

Not all paints are equal neither are painters so just use what you are happy with.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi

I use Acrylics from JonSonja and Scale 75 and like them but as said above use the ones you are happy with ...every painter wil,l have a preference , oils , gouache or whatever

Have you used the lacquers on a figure yet ...perhaps try them

We do have Painting forum with general comments and also sub forums for oils and acrylics ........plenty of stuff to look at there

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  5. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello, you have to read much books.
    or look much videos on youtube.
    My preferences are oils over acrylics.
    You have to test it, what your preference.
    Cheap is it to start with acrylics. The most of good painters do this.
  6. lorrain New Member

Its good for first layer spray lacquer gunze color? And go over with oil?
  7. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    yes, thats possible.
    I tried many things, know i use vallejo acrylic Varnish white or black.
    A friend of mine never did a first layer, only washed his kit very good and started with oils.
  8. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    One of the best things about figure painting is there are no fixed rules - we each
    have our own ways and means which work for us but not necessarily for others.
    This may sound like a bit of a cop out but it's a simple fact. The best way for you
    is to try different mediums, until you find one that you're happy with, and then
    turn to the relevant painting section of the forum, where some seriously helpful
    advice awaits you. Great patience will be required but you will get it right. By the
    way, don't be tempted into a a heavy layout for a huge selection of colours. Start
    with a limited selection until you become more confident (and proficient). Don't
    forget...patience and effort will reward you. Rock on ....eh?
    Mike
    Nap likes this.
  9. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Either work in an airbrush just make sure you thin them properly. What ever you are happy with is the right paint. I use all types of paint acrylic, enamel and oil.
  10. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Revels enamel paint is streets ahead of Humbrols.I don't even stir the paint,just get a dollop from the bottom of the tin with a toothpick,thin it down and voila Dries matt everytime
    Nap likes this.
  11. Moonraker Active Member

England
    Funnily enough Brian, that’s exactly how I used to use Humbrols. I always found Revel paint difficult to get a thin layer with adequate coverage. Pigment wise I thought they were a bit gutless. Mind you, mine are all really old and the formula has changed over the years. I’ve been using Vallejo for about ten years now and wouldn't go back. Acrylic paint has far more benefits than detriments compared to enamels. I would recommend Vallejo (or other water based acrylic) for brush painting, and Tamiya/Mr color (thinned with Mister Levelling Thinner) for airbrushing. They work well for me. I find Tamiya are very difficult to brush paint. There are many makes of acrylic paint, so try some and see what you like.
    Nap likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi folks

Lots of great information here , interesting to read

Like many I have drawers full,of various paints ...all mainly acrylics .....I use Reaper MSP series and P3 a lot initially ie basing and some other work but now find the Scale 75 tubes my main usage

I do use Water Soluable Oils from Cobra , mixing these with no problem

A lot of acrylics will need a lot of shaking after sitting unused ( even with agitators )

Just my thoughts

Happy benchtime

Nap
  13. Moonraker Active Member

England
    With regard to the settling of acrylics, I have a second hand lab vortex mixer (also called a whirlymix) on my bench that I use for mixing paint. To me it is now an invaluable tool. 30 seconds on that will mix anything. Tattoo ink mixers look very similar so should do the same job. This is what I mean.
    02DEEE3E-FCDD-4E0B-AEB7-4E458BAA9984.jpeg
    Nap likes this.