1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Newbie, finished 1st models - truthful feedback please.

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by SimonC, Mar 3, 2021.

1. SimonC Member

[/ATTACH] 20210303_122259.jpg 20210303_122404.jpg 20210303_122259.jpg 20210303_122404.jpg 20210303_122259.jpg 20210303_122404.jpg 20210303_122552.jpg 20210303_123125.jpg 20210303_123110.jpg 20210303_122950.jpg 20210303_122741.jpg 20210303_220407.jpg 20210303_220602.jpg 20210303_123907.jpg 20210303_123815.jpg 20210303_123614.jpg 20210303_123357.jpg 20210303_123452.jpg 20210303_123340.jpg

Hi , I have just finished my 1st projects, and would appreciate truthful reviews both positive and negative.

My first to arrive was the Coldstream Guards defending Hougoumont by Mitches models, then 5 days later the 5th Dragoon Guards bust arrived from Model Cellar. I had just finishd the base of hougomont and using some real fragments of brick from hougoumont that I collected during a visit to Waterloo 15 years ago. So just the soldiers to paint I decided to work on both models at the same time.

I am fairly pleased with the result, but definately have loads of improving to do. I also hit a few snags along the way. I ordered winsor & newton series 7 brush size 1 and size 000. The size 1 went out of shape and fluggy after the 1st use and the size 000 never arrived. So I really struggled on the finer details like eyes. I also struggled with Matt varnish that looked more like a satin finish.

However, I really had great fun painting which is the important reason for doing a hobby, plus Rome wasn't built in a say, So I have just orderd the 38th inkerman bust antd hope that I keep improving. That you for your time.
    arj, Perseas, Martin64 and 16 others like this.
  2. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I think you have done a really fine job on both of these projects.
    Oda and SimonC like this.
  3. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I would be greatly pleased if my first attempts looked as good. Carry on, it looks like you get it and are off to a great start.
    Jed, Oda, SimonC and 1 other person like this.
  4. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Nice, tidy work Simon. Looks to me like you have learned a lot already.
    Re W&N Series 7 - too expensive and not significantly better IMO. Have a look at Roubloff - they are half the price and I'm sure members will back me up here - they are very good. Find them on Amazon.

Phil
    OldTaff, winfield, Jed and 4 others like this.
  5. Moonraker Active Member

England
    Looks good to me. The wall, in particular, looks superb. Unusual about the brush though? How did you clean it?
    Jed, Oda and SimonC like this.
  6. callmehobbes Active Member

England
    Impressive first efforts. On the bust Id go with a wider variety of colours to show the different areas of the face (hint of red in cheeks, blue/red around eyes etc). Do you use a wet palette? Its made a huge difference to my efforts. I look forward to seeing what you do next.
  7. SimonC Member

I just run it under the cold tap between colours, then at the end of the end of the day just rinsed it in running cold water.
    Jed likes this.
  8. SimonC Member

Hi, thank you, I totally agree with you about the face, I only used Vallejo 70876 Brown Sand as a base coat, then 70859 Black Red as shadow and then 70815 Basic Skin Tone as highlights, he looked a bit orange so I toned it down using 70928 Light Flesh.

I believe that I am to conservative with the use of highlights and shadowing on all my painting. I think my painting is quite neat with clean lines, but my model it still look like a painted model, so to take it to the next level I think I need to be a bit bolder with my uses of colours.

I haven't used a wet palette, I saw on face book that someone made a wet palette using a small plastic tupperware box with a small wet sponge and grease proof baking paper, so I was going to give that a go, but in the end I purchased a small aluminium palette with round well, but paints dried out quite quickly. So I may try the wet palette.
    Jed likes this.
  9. callmehobbes Active Member

England
    I use an old take away tub with kitchen roll and greaseproof paper.
    Jed and SimonC like this.
  10. Moonraker Active Member

England
    Hi Simon. I’d recommend you use Masters brush soap at the end of the session, then repoint the brush and store it point downwards in the clear protector it came in. You will extend the life of the brush exponentially if you do this. Until you get brush soap use a basic soap bar and lather up the bristles. A final rinse under the tap before repointing is a good thing though.
    Jed, DaddyO and SimonC like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Simon

Well done for completing the piece

The Waterloo piece looks really good , a lot of work and ambitious

Agree ref the bust comments , that was sculpted by a PF member Valiant ...uniform red looks good I would probably put a bit of shadow on helmet

Good comments ref brushes ..there's lots of stuff about brushes here on PF

Always good to see a new figure painter

Why not enter a piece into the class of your choice in the new FOTM ...msg me if needed

There's also the Vignette & Diorama comp we are running

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
  12. SimonC Member

Thank Nap for your comments, rally interestec of knowing more

Kind regards
    Jed likes this.
  13. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For a genuine first effort and you asked for honest feedback, that is nothing short of remarkable. Stuff like the green moss at the foot of the wall is a demonstration of real attention to detail.

Great work and I look forward to seeing what you do next.
    Gary
    SimonC, Jed and Chris Oldfield like this.
  14. SimonC Member

Thank you Gary

Thats really kind of you

Many thanks

Simon
    Jed and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there Simon

Again WELL DONE

Why not enter in the class of your choice in the new FOTM as well as voting in the previous month , also there is Vignette & Diorama comp ...see link at top of page

Always good to see your artwork

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
    SimonC, Jed and Oda like this.
  16. SimonC Member

Hi Nap
    I have entered the Hougoumont model into the FOTM for March for experience, but not holding my breath looking at the other models already entered.

Kind regards

Simon
    Jed and Nap like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Simon

Thanks for supporting its all about taking part as well

Look forward to seeing more from you

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Jed and SimonC like this.
  18. SimonC Member

Been a busy week and I have just finished model celler 38th Foot to go with my 5th Dragoon. I have also also finished Mitches Modrl Sharpe bust. 20210330_125512.jpg 20210330_125834.jpg
    Martin64, Jed and Erbay like this.
  19. SimonC Member

Sharpe 95th Rifles from Mitches MiM, which I really enjoyed, so I have just ordered Sgt Hakewell to go with it. 20210330_141947.jpg 20210330_130123.jpg
    Jed, Old Pete, Martin64 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Simon, really nice work on all the pieces and l can see you will develop into a really good painter.

Looking at the first figures think about how you paint white. Take a look at how other modellers paint white belts, highlights, shadows, scuffs etc...it can make a big difference to a figure or bust.

Keith
    SimonC likes this.