1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Zealand modeler V2.0

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by MarkNZ, Feb 26, 2016.

1. MarkNZ Member

New_Zealand
    Hi All

I'm a modeler that started many years ago as a child in the UK and created / butchered many an Airfix kit. Then it fell by the wayside with the usual teenage boy distractions. Fast forward many many years and I now reside in Auckland.

I bought a few full figure kits about six years ago with a view to getting back into things. While a great thought, it never actually eventuated.

However, three months ago I found this site and it inspired me to kick things off (After a lot of research and accumulation of new materials, paints etc). With the age comes the more relaxed and measured approach, allowing you to walk away for a day or two rather than trying to knock it out in one go.

My preferred modelling has moved away from armour to figures, namely busts.

I'm looking forward to improving my efforts both through practice and learning from the other very talented modelers on here.

Cheers

Mark
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  2. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Morning Mark
    Welcome to the block , heaps of kiwis on both sides of the ditch onsite ....... lookin forward to seeing some of your work and glad to see you realized that figures are the true calling
    Regards
    Chris W
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mark ,

Welcome to PF good to have you with us ...and you're looking at busts ..nice one ....a fellow from NZ Andy Cairns does some rather nice stuff ....

Any particular period or scale ?

Nap
  4. MarkNZ Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Nap

Thanks for the welcome. My preferred period at the moment is WWII and my first time using water based acrylics.

I am currently working on a WWII 1/10 white metal bust kit, which I received as a gift from Historex Agents when an order went missing in transit. It's my practice piece, actually my temporary Avatar is a WIP photo of the bust in question.

The next piece will be one of the two Young Miniatures 1/10 busts in the stash.

Cheers

Mark
  5. MarkNZ Member

New_Zealand
    Cheers Chris, I have one Verlinden kit completed so far. Once iIve taken some decent pictures I'll be sharing them.

Cheers

Mark
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mark ,

Certainly a good period to look at ,Youngs are good , there is also life Miniatures , MJ Miniatures , Nuts Planet , Dolman Miniatures and a newer company called RP Models from Portugal that you might like to have a look at ( I have reviewed some of their pieces as well as painting them)

Your avatar who is the maker ...do hope we see some WIP pics in the V bench !

I see you have a "stash" ..nice one ..lol

Nap
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Pleased to met you Mark.(y)
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark.

I think many of us started with, Airfix and Matchbox kit. and gradually developed varying interest in painting stuff. I am glad that you have joined. Lots to learn.(y)

Mark.
  9. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Mark neat to have another NZer on board.

Figure modellers are a rare breed in North Island, many more in South Island.
    Including John Belcher, Les Smith, Zane666 and Andy Cairns Man behind AC Models
    All have posting here, so check out their vBench & feel free to ask us questions to help.

Enjoy!

Mike
  10. MarkNZ Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Nap

The kit is from F.M.Beneito Miniatures. It doesn't say the scale but I'm pretty sure it's about 1/10. I did look on the website but it didn't show.

I have just about finished it. A few finishing touches to go and I'm waiting for the resin plinth to arrive from the UK. I plan to get some stage photo's up online this week.

Cheers

Mark
  11. MarkNZ Member

New_Zealand

Hi Mike

Thanks for the message. I had spotted your work on here and have been impressed with your skills. Gives me something to aspire to! I've just had a look at AC Models as well, very nice indeed. I've got a few of the busts on the wishlist already.

Also good to see I'm adding to the North Island quota, can't have the mainlanders having the ascendancy....lol

Cheers

Mark
  12. Mark S Guest

Welcome to the planet Mark from another Mark and a Southern Hemisphere one as well......cheers mate.
    MarkNZ likes this.
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Kia ora Mark,

Plenty of Aussies and Kiwis on this forum and as always we punch well above our weight in terms of skill, talent and general good looks.

We're also well known for our modesty, humility and our love of Pom Baiting.

Welcome aboard.
    billyturnip and Mark S like this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Welcome Mark, I hope you've stayed true to your British roots and have in no way ended up like Tony Dawe. :playful:
    Looking forward to your participation and seeing what you are painting.
  15. MarkNZ Member

New_Zealand

Thanks Tony, of course us kiwi's bring another level of humility and modesty and we prefer Aussie baiting.....:)

Cheers

Mark
    napoleonpeart and billyturnip like this.
  16. MarkNZ Member

New_Zealand

Cheers for the welcome. I've been in NZ for 23 years. I consider myself more Kiwi now, but I'll always be British in my core.

Once time allows I will put some WIP pics up and some pics of a completed Verlinden figure vignette.

Mark
    billyturnip likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Some really cracking modellers here from NZ and Aussie land ....almost a colony!

Tony ,

Kia Ora ...that was a drink I think ! .......lol

Now you lot stop posting and swirl those brushes

Nap ..now in hiding
  18. Andy007 Member

New_Zealand
    Welcome Mark, north islander here as well. I don't post much but as you already indicated this site is full of amazing inspiration and very helpful folk from all over the world.
    napoleonpeart and MarkNZ like this.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Kia ora is a traditional Maori greeting that means "How're going Bro?"
  20. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Greetings Mark, and welcome to the Planet (y)!

Joe