1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Zealand Camelier, 5th Bn., Otago Hussars

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is a NZ Camelier and member of the Imperial Camel Corps. His cap badge indicates he was a volunteer from the 5th NZ Mounted Rifles (Otago Hussars).

I've been working for over a month on the camel (with another one - see my German SW Afrika post), converting it from a Verlinden kit camel, adding the saddle, blankets, rifle bucket and other field equipment, etc. He'll be posed relaxing and rolling a cigarette, his SMLE rifle across his lap. Some of the camel equipment includes a tent half, two rolled blanket, the small British back pack and mess tin, various rugs. I'll add a piece of chain connected to the bit in the camel's mouth and then some reins, which will be laid loosely on the figure's lap.

The head is a Verlinden, the boots, back pack and canteen from a Model Cellar kit. The SMLE rifle (not shown in the photos) is from DJ Parkins. All the rest is me...

I've barely started the soldier figure, but he'll be wearing a lightweight no collar grey or light blue cotton shirt and trousers with putties. I'll put a British cavalry 1903 leather ammo bandolier across his chest.

Hope you like it!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Should be very good Dan.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    On the Great War Forum, a New Zealand artist has corrected me about the unit. I didn't know the unit history of the 5th Battalion of New Zealand Mounted Rifles. It appears they went straight from Gallipoli to France and served the remainder of war on that front. So, I'll be correcting that to the Auckland Mounted Rifles in my next WIP. The attached photo layout is of an AMR re-enactor. JP has also provided invaluable assistance with other bits of the camel "furniture". He's working on a book of line and color art drawings showing Great War ANZAC infantry, cavalry, artillery and transport gear. From the snippets he's shown on the GWF, it should be a great resource!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

4. PHIL WALDEN Member

Morning Dan....
    Mate l'm looking forward very much to your WIP, they where very interesting subjects, the other mounteds did not like them, it was said the troopers stunk and the camels upset the horses,a fight was on the cards at any time,although it has to be said the Camel corp have been credited with some great exploits.....
    Enjoying heeps what you've done so far Dan...just a wee look at.. the Kiwi's hat has a smaller brim, not as wide as the Aussie slouch hat and not to say that he has not scored one along the way......

Great stuff Dan...Phil..:)
  5. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Dan,very nice subject.like what you have done on the sculpting so far.It is a subject I have on the drawing board.I managed to by a old Heller kit last year which has a nice 35th scale camel.I bought it with this subject in mind,so very much enjoying following what you are doing.I have a old black and white photo of NZ Camel corp.If you would like a copy I am more than happy to scan it for you.

Regards,John:)
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Phil and John - Many thanks for the kind comments - I'm a big fan of both of your work! Phil - I'll trim the hat brim a bit. Long way to go on the figure. John - Sure, I'd like a copy of the photo. Do you have my e-mail address? I'll PM it to you. I've just been receiving some valuable reference info from Jonathan Paynter, a New Zealand artist working on a book of line and color art showing uniforms, equipment, weapons, etc. of the period.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Aloha Dan,

Another Camel figure? Wow! Don't you have a life or something...:). But thanks for introducing NZ cameleers to us still modelling Waffen SS and French Napoleonics...:). Fantastic exploration.

Rgds Vic
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dan nice looking project mate and i will enjoy following this one.

Steve
  9. eissteban Active Member

France
    wouh ! great Dan ;)
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Vic, Steve and Eissteban, Many thanks guys! I've received a great deal of help from a New Zealand commercial artist, Jonathan Paynter. Some of my research was faulty and over the weekend, I'll be correcting the camel "furniture" to show a fantassi - zinc alloy water cylinder on one side and a large cylindrical bag of grain with rope tie closure on the other side of the camel.

All the best,
    Dan