1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Pedro Molina, Jan 12, 2013.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Midges?
    Carl.:whistle:
    Gaudin likes this.
  2. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very true, but the germans never got far enough to see what proper midges and mosquitoes are like. Kevlar wouldnt have saved them - those beasts in Siberia are horrible (let it be clear I am refering to insects~)
  3. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    There were better solutions than these midge-friendly veils...:D
    Wehrmacht Moskitoschleier 1.jpg
  4. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    I do wish they would release some of their heads as separate items, or release a set or two so that we could mix and match or use them for own own figs. Weapons would be cool as well.[/quote]

Many of the heads from the young miniature WWI-Vietnam bust's are interchangable as I have now done that with two busts, with minimal work they are not beyond most figure modellers.
    cheers Les
  5. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I have no doubt, but I wouldn't pay $$$ for a bust that I may not like or be interested in just to get the head, if a pack of 3-4 heads were offered for the same price. I would do without. They have a bust of a Soviet Mountain troop that I would like to have the head from (he looks like Ed Harris and I want to do his Character from "Enemy at the Gates) but I won't pay $60-70 USD just to get the head, and I have no interest in the rest of the bust even if I could plop another head on him.
    Cheers
    Jason
    captnenglish likes this.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another very nice sculpt from young miniatures,me personaly I like the German stuff and its a nice addition to his German collection,I know it won't suit everybody's taste's but I assume the German stuff sells well for him.
    I am still hopeful that he will produce an ACW subject in the future :)
  7. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I thought he looked familiar enough to be a reused head,and after looking at the Young Miniatures site, I think it may well be the DAK Infantry North Africa head, but the chin strap across the face disguises that a bit. And the chin might havebeen shortened a little, but I do think its the same. His brother, perhaps???:whistle:
    Gaudin likes this.
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Sure - they got the same dad - Young B Song:p.
    But ok - you made me run through Young`s gallery and here we go

Brothers? - Not for me
    YM1840-8.jpg YM1839-2.jpg

Twins?
    YM1840-2.jpg YM1835-2.jpg

So there is an indication that we "know" this guy - as you said before Gaudin - and he seems to have an interesting family history with a brother in the ranks of the enemy forces - but it might be a matter of sculpting-style as well. Only Mr. Young knows for certain and maybe when we see the model in flesh or through an review on PF we can also be sure.

Cheers, Martin
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    They are completely different.

Pedro.
    housecarl likes this.
  10. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Quite different I'd say. Enough to make a difference, at least ( sorry, pun:whistle: ). Oh hold on, the guy on top left is exactly same as bottom left !

It is true though that sculptors can get into this same face template unconsciously, it takes effort to notice it for yourself sometimes.
    Karlosfandango and Martin64 like this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Gee, we're being rather picky and critical aren't we.

Mr Young's company has consistently produced some of the best researched, sculpted, cast, packaged and painted busts ever seen anywhere, and we criticise him for producing busts that appear to have some similar facial characteristics. Have we lost our minds??? That's equivalent to whining because Leonardo sculpted his statues in a similar style or Michaelangelo painted the figures in his frescos in a similar style. Mr Young has a style of his own and its easily recognisable. So is Carl Reid's style, and so are most of the other major sculptors who are popular in our hobby. That's one of the reasons why they are so popular. They produce work of consistently high quality.

The examples shown above do illustrate some similarities, but none of these faces are identical, they are all subtley different and unique. Each has a distinct personality and identity. To say otherwise is wrong and unfair on a very talented, humble and conscientious artist. These busts come from the same sculptor and are usually painted by the same painter, so sure they will have a familar look to them, but let's pay credit where its due and give this bloke the credit and respect he deserves.

Personally, I hope Mr Young continues to produce his amazing busts for many, many years to come and I will continue to buy them, paint them and enjoy them.
  12. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    No, I don`t think that it is critical and picky to discuss if a brilliant sculpted face of a bust was used before or if it is just the style of the sculptor that leads to a close similarity. Even if Mr. Young would have recycled a face he is entitled to do so and I will still like his products.
    I agree to all other points of your post.
    All the best!
    Martin