1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Pedro Molina, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Yup, this is cool :cool:! I like everything about it, especially the rendering of the stahlhelm with its cover. Very well executed.

Joe
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  4. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Simple explanation:
    Most of the nay-sayers to WW2 German subject are in different market.
    They never bought Nazis figures, and never will.
    Because they are in a different market to begin with, what they have to say
    about new WW2 German releases doesn't reflect the market response or
    affect anything in terms of sales.

Things will change only when WW2 German modelers say, "Not another German figure".
    NickM, pmfs, Vaux and 6 others like this.
  5. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Absolute class! I love the subject matter but TBH whatever your chosen genre, you cannot help but admire the masterful skill on show here!
    Sturm Grenadier, Mark S and stu like this.
  6. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Superbly sculpted and painted. (y)
  7. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice bust. The only thing there is to say is that Young's busts becoming a bit " same-ish" - even faces look familiar. Still very striking as a piece of work.

- bang on the money:) erm .... never??

Something I cant understand- can some one explain the logic of faceveil on a non-sniping assault unit in offensive campaign? I am not questioning the bust - just trying to learn something.
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    According to the memories of my late father, who was serving with the cavalry-brigade and later "Florian-Geyer-Cavalry-Division" on the Eastern front these veils were not just issued to snipers. They were meant to improve concealment of combat troops but were not really popular. Nevertheless they had a psychological impact when worn during assault operations and Russion POW`s that had surrendered were relieved when the veils were removed and the assault troops turned out to be mere mortals.

BTW during the first winter on the Eastern front they sometimes wore masks made from bark with narrow vision slits to prevent snowblindness. These masks had the same effect and Russian POW`s told that they were thinking that their opponents were "machines". I think that you can see today that modern combat units try to go for the same effect if you look at the face masks with skull or monster painting being worn in Afghanistan.

About Young`s bust: I do not see a similarity to his previous faces with this one. Painiting possibilities are many because of the different camo-shemes for the smock and helmet cover. And if the prize for another release of that quality is to take some comments from the Anti-German-fraction I am gladly willing to pay that prize.
    To commemorate my Dad I might have one of these. Well done Mr. Young!

All the best!
    Martin
    pmfs, Sturm Grenadier, Pops and 2 others like this.
  9. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Martin,

Thank you for extensive answer.
    With regards to face similarities- to me there is such thing as " Youngs " face - his faces and sculpting style is quite distinct and to me seems a bit repetitive, thats all.

Just as an idea - if you wish to truly commemorate your dad- get some one like Fex to sculpt your dad's face for this bust?

Cheers

G
    T50 and Martin64 like this.
  10. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Gaudin,
    of course you are right that one can recognize a "Young-bust" by the style of the artist. But the same goes for other sculptors - I can tell if Mike Good, Maurice Corry or Carl Reid did a face without looking at the attached text file. In the past there were some really close similarities between faces in Mr. Young`s product line and I thought that you were going for this.
    The commemoration of my dad through Fex´s service would be great but I am afraid that Fex would have to starve or I would have to robb a bank to realize such a project. But there is always putty and sculpting tools in my hobby room - so who knows....
    All the best, Martin
  11. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well, it didnt help that Young recycled faces for his busts so obviously, when you have seen 3-4 busts with similar features you kinda start spotting similarities in all.
    What you mentioned - was exactly what i was trying to say, I just got distracted by work.
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Youngs busts are worth waiting for their release ,so if your not into the ww11 period it means another wait for something that may take your fancy.The fact that he turns out so many WW11 busts is the fact that they must be very popular.
    Brian
    Gaudin likes this.
  13. salonikios Active Member

Greece
    and another German :(

will you make a fantasy bust?
  14. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Stunning as usual.

Stuart
  15. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Gaudin, The face veil was also used for camouflaged and concealed fighting positions, such as for ambushing enemy troops. Here is a MG 34 crew wearing them. Regards, SG waffen-ss_camo-face-mask-700x963_1.jpg
    Martin64 and Gaudin like this.
  16. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Well executed and painted. I don't care that its another German. It does have that same "Young" look to it. When you use the same sculptor again and again, over a period of time thats going to happen. I don't know if sculptors are even aware that they are doing it. I could pick a John Rosengrant figure out of a group in a second.
    My biggest hangup is that its another armless torso with a head on top. Give me an arm! or two...:ROFLMAO:

I do wish they would release some of their heads as separate items, or release a set or two so that we could mix and match or use them for own own figs. Weapons would be cool as well.
    Martin64 and housecarl like this.
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Another Waffen SS guy...YES!!!!(y)

Pedro.
    Gaudin likes this.
  18. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :ROFLMAO:
    Johan - forget your poll and speak to this guy! :p Pedro will tell you what market is like LOL
  19. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    And the picture is another proof why these veils were not so popular - the machine-gunner in this picture has cut his veil down to improve his vision. So when you had to handle a weapon and needed to have a clear view the veil got in your way. In an emergency situation you could loose valuable time while removing it.
    All the best, Martin
  20. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well thats precisely why I was puzzled in the first place - its a weird choice for assault unit that doesnt need stealth. Ambush - fair enough