1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique New Year Resolution - Learn to Sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Eludia, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some pics of last night's progress:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Dan Morton likes this.
  2. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I managed to do a little bit more this morning whilst everyone else was still in bed:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I need to find better reference pics for the jacket. I'll also need to pick up a foil container or something if I'm out later so that I can make the peak for the shako.
    Wings5797, Dan Morton and Scotty like this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I had a slack day today so did a bit more work on my Portugese friend. All the main elements are in place, just tidying up and smoothing to do now.

I tried (unsuccessfully) a few times to make the shako insignia from thick foil but in the end I gave up and used Super Sculpey instead. The foil did come in handy, however, for the shako peak. A 50/50 mix of Apoxie and GS was used for the cross belt, I'm still not sure about the raised beading down the centre of the belt - a bit overscale?

Anyhoo, here is my first completion, critique would be most helpful :):

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    WOW super work Billy.
    You have really nailed it Mate.
    Well done You.
    Keirh
    Eludia likes this.
  5. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Keith, your comments are very much appreciated (y)

I did a bit more titivation today - just some minor touch-ups, smoothing and a couple of minor additions (eyebrows maketh the man, and a scar just to make him look a little bit harder ;))
    Wings5797 likes this.
  6. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I can't believe this :cool:
    Now that is a talent - You achieved very good result within only few months.
    Now practice more and watch Yourself becoming a master ;)
    Scotty and Eludia like this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow, thanks Darko. High praise indeed :)

Your input and advice has been invaluable my friend, thank you very much (y)

Now, more practice.....
    Scotty likes this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Final bake this morning, I'm now calling the Tiradore done. I need to wait till I get home at the end of the week before I can get a coat of primer on him and start painting.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Now looking for something else to do....
    Dan Morton, Wings5797 and pokrad like this.
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    New day, new head. I don't know what this one is going to be yet.

I'm getting quite comfortable with faces now, ears are my main nemesis at the minute. More work required.....

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm really getting into this, so much so that I'd rather reach for the putty than the brushes at the minute (y)

As always, critique would be very welcome :)
  10. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Eludia, Nice job on the Portugese bust! You have done a fine job. I would venture to say you have some talent my friend. Look forward to seeing the bust painted up! Thanks for sharing!(y)

Best of Everything, Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society of Atlanta, GA
    Eludia likes this.
  11. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Terry, your kind words are very much appreciated (y)

I'm not so sure about talent but I think (and hope) that my sculpting is improving with practice. My belief is that if you do something for long enough and you are willing to take the advice of others who are more experienced, then you'll eventually get good at whatever it is you're trying to achieve. All it takes is time (and lots of practice ofc).
    Scotty likes this.
  12. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's been a while but I'm back on the putty again. I've been messing about in my van today (i.e. skiving) trying to sculpt a head with a bit of character. It's supposed to be a smile but it looks more like an evil grin.

Scale -1/16. Super Sculpey (50/50 original and firm)

IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Terrific sculpting! Keep it up! Darko's comments are on the beam!

All the best,
    Dan
    Eludia likes this.
  14. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Before I read your post i thought he looked a happy wee soul. Another cracker, I've missed your posts, thanks.
    Eludia likes this.
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers guys, I've had a few months off concentrating on painting and making some plastic models but I hope to get back on it soon. My aim is still to make and paint my own stuff, I haven't sculpted anything yet that I would consider good enough to paint but hopefully that will come. I might have another go at the Tiradore :)
    Scotty likes this.
  16. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    hi mate, just caught this thread, love the progress you have made.
    i would certainly say the Tiradore is good enough to paint, i think he is a great sculpt.

tony
    Eludia likes this.
  17. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Good job on the faces..
    Eludia and anstontyke like this.
  18. Vermis Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice progress!

On the 'evil grin': my take would be that a genuine or spontaneous smile affects more of the face than just the mouth, particularly around the eyes. It's part of the reason why japanese/anime-style smileys are readable when the 'mouth' is just a flat line ( ^_^ 0_0 -_- >_> etc.) or how insincere smiles in photographs can be picked out. In your example, I'd say the glowering brows are contributing to the effect you see! If you carry on with it, I'd suggest raising those a little. Ditto with the cheeks, up over the lower margins of the eye sockets. Maybe some crinkling at the sides, and raising the lower eyelids, too. To some extent.
    Scotty, anstontyke and Eludia like this.