1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

new to these scales.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by capt spalding, Jul 16, 2005.

1. capt spalding New Member

first hello,
    great forum and resorce, my compliments to whoever set it up, and the many artists that post and share their work :)

I've been a 28mm sculptor for several years, and I fancy cutting my teeth on a few different scales. Although i'm not new to sculpting I guess that this is the best place for a first post, what with being new to the forum. (well, that and the fact that I have a rather noobie question :D )

From what I can make out 1/35 scale is very close to 54mm, my reasoning is that a 6 foot person is pretty close to 183cm (182.88) This, when divided by 35, is 52mm. My height of 6'3" is just over 54mm. Is that correct?

and if so what is the difference between 54mm and 1/35, is it purely stylistic?

thanks for your time
    seth
  2. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Seth, and welcome. 54 mm scale is closer to 1/32 scale, which I know doesn't seem like it would make much difference. I realize there is some "disagreement" between manufacturers concerning the definition of 54 mm scale, but if you want to see the difference yourself, try mixing some parts between 1/35 and 1/32 scale figures. I am pretty confident you will see the difference in scale at that point. IMHO, it's advisable to stick to one scale or the other. I hope this helps.

Glenn
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    FYI - The Colorado Miniatures web site has a very thorough discussion of scales and their differences.

www.coloradominiatures.com

All the best,
    Dan
  4. capt spalding New Member

I realsise that the scale issue must come up all the time, so thanks for responding, and the link :)

I guess that it's similar to the miniatures industry in that different companies have slightly different interpretations of the correct proportions of any scale.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Welcome, Seth :)

There's a handy utility that you can use that aides in scale conversions:
    http://kitspy.com/tools/kitspyscaler.php

it is the same link above under the ad banner called "Scaler"
    Enjoy!
    ~gordy
  6. JVideki Member

Seth:

Are you responsible for this Druusch? (y)

http://cp.nemo.phpwebhosting.com/~libertyw...b5fe9da3a0e8a8c

and parts of the TAG Gempei Wars?
  7. Opsofficer New Member

Seth, if this is indeed your Druusch, I must say that is nicely done! I think the subject matter is rather repulsive, but well done nonetheless! ;)

I do not think the final cast did the original sculpt justice.
  8. capt spalding New Member

evening,

yes I'm the same seth, and yes the TAG gempei stuff was mine, getting on for two years ago now!

thanks for the coments on the Druusch, he was very enjoyable to do.

gordy, thanks. that is a great link :)

Having read the Colorado site I now understand my mistake, I was using 52mm for a top of head measurement rather than to the eye, which 54mm is. When you get everything right actually makes quite a difference scale wise....if that made any sense to anyone other than me?

here a link to some of my other stuff on cmon, just incase you fancy a look.

capt spaldings random stuff