1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New to the Figure Painting World

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by mustang1989, May 25, 2022.

1. mustang1989 New Member

Hello everybody. My name is Joe and some of you may have seen me out and about on other forums. I've been building scale models for over 40 years and my interests are mostly in automotive these days with an occasional aircraft build mixed in from time to time. As of late I've been wanting to add another level to my aircraft builds with the addition of figures. The bad thing is that I'm no good at doing that kind of modeling which is why I am now here.

Steve Z. turned me onto this place and Kevin Peart helped me to actually get registered as I was having some technical difficulties that initially prevented me from getting on board. Thanks to both of you for helping me out.

I'm looking very much forward to learning at first and then trying my hand at this weak point in my modeling. Thanks for having me, Joe
    oldtrousers, theBaron and Nap like this.
  2. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Welcome to Planet Figure, Joe, the best military miniatures site on the web. We're happy to have you with us and look forward to seeing your work.
    Rick
    mustang1989 and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there Joe

A BIG ŴELCOME to PF

PF is for all figures with or without additions like planes/AFV etc

Great to have you with us , ( I only do busts ! )....share the PF word , all are very welcome to join ..no matter what's modelled with figures

Do ask anything someone will know...feel free to message me with questions

Lots of different sections to look at including traditional and 3 D sculpting , competitions , WIP's , References , Painting techniques and so much more

There are threads in Welcome Aboard about how to do things including posting pics on PF but do contact me always happy to help

We have a Marketplace where after members have contributed 50+ posts can use to sell , request if anyone has a model to sell etc...You might also pick up some rather good bargains !

We have V Bench for WIP's and also a Completed part ,reference section

There's also Painting techniques where you will find much about Acrylics and Oils

ALL figures are welcome and of course Vignettes & Diorama ( we run friendly competitions if you wish as well , one called FOTM where there are 3 classes to choose in which to enter )

Look forward to seeing your modelling no matter what you paint ..its all about having fun

Happy bench-time

Nap ( Moderator/Admin )
    mustang1989 likes this.
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome t7o the Planet, Joe!

I'm like you, in that building models with a figure (or two) helped bring me to figures in their own right. I grew up (b 1964) building Monogram, Revell, Aurora, Airfix, and other makers' kits. Back then, it was expected that an airplane model, or an armor model, would include at least one figure, and often more. Monogram especially hit a stride in the 70s with good figures. I still like to have at least a pilot figure with an airplane, whether sitting in the cockpit or standing next to his mount.

The best advice I can offer is practice, practice, practice! You probably are familiar already with the basic techniques, since they're pretty similar between modeling and painting a figure, so it's not as foreign as it might seem. But you have to practice. And the more you paint, the more you'll notice improvement.

I look forward to seeing your work!

Prost!
    Brad
    mustang1989 and Nap like this.
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Welcome

giphy plane.gif
    Nap likes this.
  6. mustang1989 New Member

Thanks for the hearty welcome fellas. I'll be slow to build / paint here as I'll be looking on at the in progress builds that I'm seeing here. I'm also pretty tied up for the month of June due to our son graduating high school. Lots to do over the course of the next week or two.
    Nap, Larsen E. Whipsnade and sd0324 like this.
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bit different to 'Brit' eh mate :LOL:

Welcome to another mad house :sneaky:

Ron (aka Silver911)
    Nap likes this.
  8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I'm behind the curve here Joe, but I'm glad you finally got dialed in. Thanks Kevin, ya got it handled. Ruck On, Joe, have fun!

And Joe, when you get started on figures don't be shy asking for help, most anyone here would be more than willing to lend a hand as best as we can. It's only a matter of practice. Remember, none of us came out of diapers with a brush in our hands, HA!

Cheers, Ski.
    Nap likes this.