New to figure modelling

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Geraint, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Geraint Member

_7020002.jpg
    Hi, after more than 40 years away from doing models, I decide to try figure modeling (busts at the moment). I am finding it quite a learning curve especially paints, acrylic and oils, only enamels I think back then ,and at 69 yrs old find my hands not so steady these days! Still this is the fourth one which I have just finished. Any advice, hints, and tips would be appreciated. A mix of oils, acryic, and enamel.
    Geraint.
  2. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    For someone "back" after 40years, I would say you had begun again by doing well.
    Welcome to PF.

There are lots of voices here to answer questions and give helpful suggestions, as I have discovered.

Look forward to seeing more of your works.
    Ned
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's a grand lookin' opening post Geraint. (y)
    Welcome back
    Paul
  4. Arie120mm New Member

Netherlands
    Looks great I can learn a lot from it
    Regards Arie
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome back to the world of modelling/figures Geraint, looks like you haven't lost your touch with your absence, nice work.

Steve
  6. Chris Oldfield Well-Known Member

England
    Considering you've had a 40-year break Geraint, you've really excelled with this return piece!
    Super painting, & hoping to see more of your returning work here...…..
  7. Nap A Fixture

England

Absolutely .....and it's a bust ....lol.......eh Leggy

Hi Geraint

A BIG WELCOME back to this great hobby and a BIGGER WELCOME to PF great to have you with us

Do ask anything or PM me

Have a look in the "Welcome aboard " part ...lots of helpful threads there , also "Painting Techniques" , at the top of each page there is the "Articles" part also

Happy benchtime

Nap
    DaddyO likes this.
  8. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Welcome to PF, I've found it to be a great place for inspiration, help and just to follow others.

As for how you think you are doing, put all four together in order, take a picture....post it and see
  9. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You haven't lost the ability to paint, that's a more than acceptable result and like any of us who have returned to the hobby after a long break it will take time to bring the skills back up to a level that you are happy with and develop new techniques with the massive amount of products that exist now, dealing with the aging eyes and clumsy hands syndrome can be frustrating and trying to stop the devil inside from making you throw the figure at the wall is a challenge too, but things will settle down and you will find that PF has lots of us aging guys painting away.
    Welcome and keep at it.
    TERRY
    Tonton and malc like this.
  10. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Croeso, Geraint. I’d echo what Terry says above. I’m 70 and had a similarly long break from figure modelling but the bug never leaves you. You’ll find loads of encouragement here and all the help you could possibly want. Enjoy.

Jeff