1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Sculpts

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's whats cooking on my workbench at the moment. A 54mm standing horse and a 54mm blacksmith, both for VLS's Streets of Laredo line. It feels good to be back in the saddle sculpting again!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    very cool!

(y)
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Love the drapery Anders, the apron especially. ..and the face.
    Can't wait to see him progress..and the horse of course..

All the best.

Roy.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great stuff, Anders! I'm looking forward to seeing your work with regularity again! I agree with Roy - the big, coarse face and the apron drapery are excellent. And the hat - I like the broken bill - nice touch!

I'm curious - is this from 'imagination' or did you have a reference or source?

All the best,
    Dan
  5. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    So you're SCULPTING the horse........with so many commercial choices? Now that is some work my friend.........you DEFINITELY have GUTS :eek:

Anders, Great Sculptor, I salute you ;)

Ray :)
  6. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Nice beginning Anders. Interesting subject. Please keep us posted.

-jim cox
  7. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Sweet Sculpting Man, just love the folds and ripples in the clothes

Dave
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, Good to see you diving back in after being away. I have a few constructive comments about the blacksmith. Take them for what YOU think they're worth.

His hat looks like one you'd see on a laborer or blacksmith from an eastern city/town, or an early golfer. Did you think about giving him a slouch hat or well worn derby?

The bottom part if the apron seems to sink into the figure a little much.

The right leg looks to lean to the inside of the figure.

I'm curious what the blacksmith is going to be doing with his hands? I would think showing him shoeing a horse or hammering at something on an anvil would be the best way to portray this tradesman by showing him in action. I guess you could do another smith or assistant. This line of figures has some great potential providing full advantage is taken of the "characters" they portray without them looking like Hollywood stereotypes. Good luck.~Gary
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the great comments guys!

The blacksmith is based on two sources, one being a great Western Collection book and the other is the TV series Lonesome Dove. The hat was made like the one in Lonesome dove, I thought it added some character to the figure. I for one would never shoe a horse with my cowboy hat on again as it just gets in the way (Ive done it..same with a hankercheif, it hangs down and blocks your view of the feet), so a small hat without a brim makes more sense.

The blacksmith will be posed with his right hand on his hip and the other kind of leaning on his left leg with a shaping (or similar) hammer. Basically he is designed to stand outside of his shop viewing the town work, or takign a short break or perhaps talking to someone. Ive often been wanting to do an acctual farrier, something which I may very well do once the horse is finished.

The horse is kind of freaking me out a little, its sort of like walking through a thick forrest in the dark. I know 1/1 horses but I sure dont know much about 1/32nd scale horses. Its a whole lot of fun doing it though, although its kind of a 'massive' project and maybe even a little outside my comfort zone. Maybe Im a little too deep over my head with it but I think that it is a great learning experience and will be very rewarding at the end. I just hope that I can do these awesome 4 legged creatures justice with my sculpting.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment! I will post updated pictures as soon as I get there!
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Never thought of "Hollywierd" as a reference for a historical minature. ;)

I'm sure the horse will work out.
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Without a hat is another way to go. There's nothing to get in the way then.~Gary

Attached Files:

12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Your right, Hollywood isnt the best source for reference, however, certain productions are worth taking notes from and use as a reference, such as; Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Lonesome Dove, Dances With Wolves, Open Range etc etc.

As for no headgear, sure he could have no hat, but it adds so much more character, and its not like its a fantasy head piece. Its authentic for the period, perhaps more popular out east, but then again where did all the people come from to go out west?

Nice picture, got another figure in mind that would be fairly similar to that one. One which would go well with a busy town scene.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Anders - You could have a whole scene built around the western blacksmith shop - a farrier shoeing a horse, a blacksmith pounding on a shoe, and another fellow using a bellows to freshen the fire? Maybe even another holding a pitchfork (stable keeper) talking to the other three?

Actually, now that I think about it, this could have equal application to WWI and some to WW2. I'm reading memoirs/diaries of two brothers who were WWI RFA and RHA officers. Those guys thought and worried about the condition of their horses, both draught and riding, as much or more than the care and feeding of their artillerymen. JUST WHAT I NEED - another idea for a diorama!!!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. y_wong New Member

Dear Anders,

Very interesting subject away from all the soldiers that most of us usually do. I am looking forward to its completion. Very well scuplted.

regards
  15. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Anders!

This one seems to be coming out nicely, but what I like best its the choice of subject.

The forthcoming on the horse will be interesting as well.

Cheers
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

Dan, there are tons of possibilities in this era of history. So much fin stuff to do!!!

Here are a couple of shots of the horse in progress, the muscelature is taking shape now. Still a lot to do as this is the muscelature roughed in with soft putty, next will be to smooth out and correct a few areas and finish the legs and hoofs.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Anders, I think the horse is looking really good. Especially for a first effort. How about the head?
  18. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Anders, that horse is coming along great! Keep up the wonderful work.

Jason
  19. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    GREAT STUFF so far,Anders !!! Looking forward to the next step in the project. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  20. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,

That's a great choice of subject matter. I always thought that blue collar laborers would make for interesting figures. Maybe a coal miner next?