1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Sculpts

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Long, Oct 30, 2004.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I'm practicing some different techniques lately and they've manifested themselves as the below. The first is a border ruffian. One of two for a vignette. The second is Atticus Finch (not necessarily Gregory Peck)from "To Kill a Mockingbird" delivering his closing arguments. Both have some minor details to add.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    GREAT work John! Very crisp and clean work. Interesting subjects too. Can't wait to see the ruffian painted.
  3. quang Active Member

Belgium
    ATTICUS FINCH! :eek: Now that's what I call an original subject. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

In the same register, it would be equally nice to have a figure of James Stewart when he was delivering his speech at the end of 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington'.

(y)

Q.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work John. I like your subject matter as well. How are you going to mount these two figures, base and groundwork wise?
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey John, very nice work, as usual.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great subjects and super figures!
  7. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great work and great subjects John

Stephen Mallia
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John!

You have been productive!

What new things did you try out?

The shoulders look a tad heavy on the right side of the figs, but that maybe the angle of the pics.

Looking forward to see these in the flesh this week!
  9. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks all.

Anders, specifically, I've been working the putty after it has set more. I also tried something for the loose coattails that's a little different. Instead of working with rolled out sheets, I placed the putty in place and smoothed it out. Then it was cut to shape and pulled away from the body. I had prepped the parts where I wanted the coattails to hang loose with vaseline, so as the putty set up it was easily pulled back. Minimal wrinkles were added in the wet putty. After all was set, the coattails were thinned out with knifes and scrapers. Wrinkles were then added and accentuated with dental scrapers and knife blades.
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Neat subjects. Movie characters can make great figures. I have a few observations. the head on figure #1 looks a bit small. The second figure's arms look a bit large, or maybe it's just the suit. This is a difficult scale to work in so please don't take these comments too negatively.~Gary
  11. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's the reworked pieces. I think they're ready for paint. I made a few corrections. I squared Atticus' shoulders and removed the bulk from the coat sleeve on the ruffian. I also used a different head because it will fit the vignette better. The original will go on his partner.

[IMG]
  12. Pete_H New Member

John,
    On the Atticus Finch figure ... I think if you thin the width of the nose down a bit and sharpen its angles, and then add glasses then you'll have a great likeness of Gregory Peck. Check out these two pictures from the motion picture at this link to see what I'm talking about:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/photogallery

Good job (y)
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John,

I really like the Atticus Finch figure. I think he looks much better than your first pictures.

Joe
  14. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks gang. I have glasses for Atticus. I have to build the table for Atticus and I can begin painting. The border ruffians will be trashing somebodies farm. I still need to build a partner for him.
  15. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    John,

Excellent work.

Rafa