New Sculpt Project

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Guys!

After all that painting its time for some sculpting!

Here is the mannequin.

Attached Files:

2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And some work on the legs

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And here is the torso in progress. This picture shows the torso while the putty is still wet and unrefined.

Attached Files:

4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a dry run

Attached Files:

5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a face closeup

Attached Files:

6. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Very nice,Anders (y) (y) Is he going to be a personality or generic figure Looking forward to seeing more love the base though Cheers.Kenneth
  7. Pete_H New Member

Looking good so far, amigo. A suggestion, if I may: add some "crush wrinkles" along the rousers where he's sitting (i.e where the body weight - butt and upper back of legs meet the ground). Since that's where quite a bit of body weight is focused, there would be some solid folds running along the leg. Try this: put on some sweatpants and sit on a chair so you can see what I mean.
  8. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Anders, not bad, not bad. I like the folds in the pants real well. I'm thinking Ernie Pyle, war correspondent.
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the replies guys!

This is a "Generic" figure I suppose. He is sitting and eating some fine Army chow!

Pete, I see what you mean! I really tried not to overdo the folds on the legs as I always do. But you are right and I'll try and see what I can do.
  10. Pete_H New Member

Anders,
    Just leave it, dude. No sense and retooling it. Keep going (y)
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is another update. Did some work on the details. Im pretty happy with how it looks so far, like the over all feel especially. Need to refine a few details and add the shoulder boards and clean it up, other then that, the jacket is finished. Next will be arms and hands, kinda dreading the hands

Attached Files:

12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a top part close up! The collar and pockets were a new experience for me, and man that collar was a bear to do!

Attached Files:

13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a picture of the different parts of the figure. I kind of like engineering the figure, its a challenge and a lot of fun to see if a method you thinkout works!

When I was washing the legs, I forgot to take the boots off, and you guessed it, one of the boots fell down the drain!!! Heart skipped a beat, but I looked down the drain and boy was I lucky. The boot stuck on the grid thing inside the drain plug. So I get down with my tweezers and ofcourse I poked it down the hole!! Well, I looked underneath the drain and found some pipes, a few minutes later I had it dissassembled and got the boot out! Gotta love the U pipe down there!

Attached Files:

14. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Anders

When did you start this? Seemed to take you 2 days!!
    Your work rate, both in painting and sculpting is phenomenal - do you sleep, or eat for that matter?

chhers

Rob
  15. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Anders,one question:Is this figure going to be produced commercially as you actually broke-down the model into component parts ?Just curious Nonetheless,an excellent and FAST sculpt (y) Keep up the good work and post more soon !Cheers Kenneth.
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Lookin Great Anders, Anxious to see him painted!!!!
  17. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Wow Anders, great job! What method do you use to engineer the kit - how do you sculpt the individual parts so they fit together later?

-jim cox
  18. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,

I also would like to know if you ever sleep! :lol: I would like to say that in the last months your work has improved tremendously! I am looking forward to seeing the next project, tomorrow?

Joe
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Well, I started on the acctuall sculpting monday I belive, but I had already made the mannequinn and the head so that saved a lot of time. As far as eating and sleeping, I do some of that too :) I think it is all about using the time you have efficiently, and I usually plan ahead what excactly I am planning on doing so I have a clear picture in my mind before I start, and that way I move faster.

As for the part breakdown, What I did was after I fleshed out the putty on the mannequin, I just 'wringed" the torso off which left me a nice clean 'cut'. then when I got ready to do the torso I brushed the pants top part with vaseline, then rolled a thin piece of putty and wrapped around the torso and legs, then when cured I popped it off and as a result I have a super tight fit, it just 'clicks' together and no glue would be nessessary. Did basically the same with the head, except that I rolled some putty into a string, then applied around the collar on the torso, brushed vaseline on the head and pushed it down and shaped the scarf, and when cured I just pulled the head out. The Vaseline forms a layer between the part and the main body so that the putty wont stick.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Im still figuring this sculpting thing out and I need all the help I can get :)
  20. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Cool idea,Anders (y) I must try it out soon !Thanks for the tip and post more soon Don't worry about the eating and sleeping;when I am doing some modelling myself,I tend to forget to do both too Cheers Kenneth.