1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Sculpt Project

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Guys!

After all that painting its time for some sculpting!

Here is the mannequin.

Attached Files:

2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And some work on the legs

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And here is the torso in progress. This picture shows the torso while the putty is still wet and unrefined.

Attached Files:

4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a dry run

Attached Files:

5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a face closeup

Attached Files:

6. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Very nice,Anders (y) (y) Is he going to be a personality or generic figure Looking forward to seeing more love the base though Cheers.Kenneth
  7. Pete_H New Member

Looking good so far, amigo. A suggestion, if I may: add some "crush wrinkles" along the rousers where he's sitting (i.e where the body weight - butt and upper back of legs meet the ground). Since that's where quite a bit of body weight is focused, there would be some solid folds running along the leg. Try this: put on some sweatpants and sit on a chair so you can see what I mean.
  8. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Anders, not bad, not bad. I like the folds in the pants real well. I'm thinking Ernie Pyle, war correspondent.
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the replies guys!

This is a "Generic" figure I suppose. He is sitting and eating some fine Army chow!

Pete, I see what you mean! I really tried not to overdo the folds on the legs as I always do. But you are right and I'll try and see what I can do.
  10. Pete_H New Member

Anders,
    Just leave it, dude. No sense and retooling it. Keep going (y)
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is another update. Did some work on the details. Im pretty happy with how it looks so far, like the over all feel especially. Need to refine a few details and add the shoulder boards and clean it up, other then that, the jacket is finished. Next will be arms and hands, kinda dreading the hands

Attached Files:

12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a top part close up! The collar and pockets were a new experience for me, and man that collar was a bear to do!

Attached Files:

13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    And a picture of the different parts of the figure. I kind of like engineering the figure, its a challenge and a lot of fun to see if a method you thinkout works!

When I was washing the legs, I forgot to take the boots off, and you guessed it, one of the boots fell down the drain!!! Heart skipped a beat, but I looked down the drain and boy was I lucky. The boot stuck on the grid thing inside the drain plug. So I get down with my tweezers and ofcourse I poked it down the hole!! Well, I looked underneath the drain and found some pipes, a few minutes later I had it dissassembled and got the boot out! Gotta love the U pipe down there!

Attached Files:

14. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Anders

When did you start this? Seemed to take you 2 days!!
    Your work rate, both in painting and sculpting is phenomenal - do you sleep, or eat for that matter?

chhers

Rob
  15. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Anders,one question:Is this figure going to be produced commercially as you actually broke-down the model into component parts ?Just curious Nonetheless,an excellent and FAST sculpt (y) Keep up the good work and post more soon !Cheers Kenneth.
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Lookin Great Anders, Anxious to see him painted!!!!
  17. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Wow Anders, great job! What method do you use to engineer the kit - how do you sculpt the individual parts so they fit together later?

-jim cox
  18. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,

I also would like to know if you ever sleep! :lol: I would like to say that in the last months your work has improved tremendously! I am looking forward to seeing the next project, tomorrow?

Joe
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Well, I started on the acctuall sculpting monday I belive, but I had already made the mannequinn and the head so that saved a lot of time. As far as eating and sleeping, I do some of that too :) I think it is all about using the time you have efficiently, and I usually plan ahead what excactly I am planning on doing so I have a clear picture in my mind before I start, and that way I move faster.

As for the part breakdown, What I did was after I fleshed out the putty on the mannequin, I just 'wringed" the torso off which left me a nice clean 'cut'. then when I got ready to do the torso I brushed the pants top part with vaseline, then rolled a thin piece of putty and wrapped around the torso and legs, then when cured I popped it off and as a result I have a super tight fit, it just 'clicks' together and no glue would be nessessary. Did basically the same with the head, except that I rolled some putty into a string, then applied around the collar on the torso, brushed vaseline on the head and pushed it down and shaped the scarf, and when cured I just pulled the head out. The Vaseline forms a layer between the part and the main body so that the putty wont stick.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Im still figuring this sculpting thing out and I need all the help I can get :)
  20. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Cool idea,Anders (y) I must try it out soon !Thanks for the tip and post more soon Don't worry about the eating and sleeping;when I am doing some modelling myself,I tend to forget to do both too Cheers Kenneth.