1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New samurai (Pegaso models)

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Alex, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Alex A Fixture

Canada
  2. Oda A Fixture

Just saw this yesterday.It looks great and if I'm not mistaken,the boxart that Pegaso has released states that the artist responsible is none other than Diego Ruina who seems to have been inactive for quite some time before this.
    Just for the history,the armour depicted is one of several that have been known to belong to this great personality and it is preserved to where he is enshrined.According to most researchers it is the actual armour Ieyasou donned before the battle of Sekigahara and legends has it that its exact measurements and design were given to Tokugawa dono in a dream and he himself described it to his armourer.Well done Pegaso.

Oda.
    Joe55, Mike - The Kiwi and Babelfish like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Very dramatic piece , nice to see Pegaso releasing

Painting looks great , nice to see Diego painting if it's his

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see Pegaso still in the game. If previous Samurai releases are anything to go by, someone will probably be along soon to tear it to pieces in terms of "accuracy" but it looks great to my inexpert eye, and also good to see Diego Ruina back painting again. A marvellous talent.

- Steve
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    The kit provides two heads, another one without helmet.

tokugawaWEB07.jpg tokugawaWEB06.jpg tokugawaWEB08.jpg
  6. Oda A Fixture

Tempted,tempted,oh you do not know how tempted I am mate:D.But I shall be the greater person here and keep the good stuff only.It's a new samurai release and Diego's back on the game.
    (my therapist will be proud of me this time:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Oda.
    Steve Brodie, Redcap and Henk like this.
  7. The Riveteer Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Another "habitual moaner" signing in here - I love it!
    Nice to see Pegaso going for resin and dropping the unwanted bases to address their growing price point issues.

David
  8. karlw Active Member

Germany
    Pretty strange set-up here ! Sitting on a command chair and posing with a mempo mask. Doesn't make much sense, as most of the Pegaso samurais. Remember:
    it's pretty hot and humid in summer in Japan when the battles where fought and nobody in his right mind would put such a forbidding steel mask on when not in battle. And how is he supposed to give commands with that mask on ? This is another Samurai figure from Pegaso looking picturesque but not based on realities. To give myself a dose of reality, I most recently went back to my extensive picture collection of 19th century samurai. and what a wake-up call this was ! there is a gulf between how Pegaso and some of the Russians like to idolize these warriors and how they really looked in their battle armour. Go try, do a picture search at google and look at the realities.
    Oda likes this.
  9. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

And here we go. So humid in Japan, that cinches it. I love a good Samurai accuracy argument. To my eye, it's an absolute stunning figure.

Steve
    Babelfish and Chrisr like this.
  10. karlw Active Member

Germany
    I tried to give you a simple reason why this figure does not make sense in a battle enviroment. but if you choose to ignore it... I much prefer the old Poste Militaire commander over this Pegaso figure.
    Oda likes this.
  11. gommolo Active Member

United-States
    If you prefer, there is a version without mask :) :) :)
    Babelfish, Ulrich, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion ......ALL just respect that please and keep comments civil ...PM me if anybody has issues

It's good to see Pegaso releasing and it's a nice figure and a good display piece

If it's your interest , buy it, paint it, display it

Happy benchtime

Nap
    ( Moderator)
    Oda, Babelfish and Billy Dickinson like this.
  13. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Super happy to see Pegaso releasing again in this range and in resin.

Hmmh humidity in Japan well there is a version without the mask, but does it really matter, sometimes we just need to enjoy great new releases...
    Babelfish and Nap like this.
  14. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    One question: You have seen the version without Mask? And that make no sense in your opinion?
  15. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great to have Pegaso releasing what I am positive is going to be considered a classic. The competition tables will be groaning under the weight of these - it's sure to be a popular one. Also good to see something from Diego Ruina too.
    Nap likes this.
  16. karlw Active Member

Germany
    Guys just start watching Japanese samurai movies. than you get a feeling about what works and what not.I have about 500+ in my collection.I don't like the head without helmet neither. In the movies he always had a shaved head with a top knot. the facial expression doesn't exite me neither. too stilted. but what do I expect from Pegaso who rarely got a Samurai right ?
    Oda likes this.
  17. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The overall figure looks impressive and I love the subject and pose which is very reminiscent of the old seated Poste Militaire 90mm seated samurais which still stand the test of time IMHO.

Just looking at the bare head version however and perhaps it is the camera perspective, but is the (helmetless) head a bit under scale? The one with the helmet isn't as clear in this regards (and actually looks OK) due to the dark and sombre lighting for the image but the clear ones showing the bare headed version (appears) to suggest the head is too small giving the samurai almost bodybuilder type proportions....?

I have spoken with someone who is anatomically aware and they also had the same reservations on head scale and provided the attached revised image which shows the head (on the right image) corrected (by their reckoning) into human scale head ratio to body mass (or whatever the correct term is). The one on the left is the Pegaso original image as presented here.

NOTE - I have zero anatomical or sculpting qualifications and merely mention this to invite opinions from those with a more informed awareness of human body proportions or sculpting. I may well be wrong on this and this is based solely upon what my eye sees in the images already shown. As for historical accuracy of armour and weapons etc. well , I have zero knowledge in that field and as such, this is simply a question about anatomy of the figure and not 'accuracy' of samurai dress or weapons - nothing more.

Gary

PEGASO 1.jpg
  18. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    Maybe his head shrunk because of the slagging he got in this thread. ;)
    Oda, Steve Brodie, custer760 and 5 others like this.
  19. Giwe Well-Known Member

Germany
    Beautiful figure.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  20. karlw Active Member

Germany
    I just did a picture search on google and all the historical ones show his head in the classical samurai hair style : shaved head with top knot ! Here is the relevant link for school kids, which I find appropriate for all the ignorant Pegaso fan boys here:
    https://homework.study.com/explanat...urai-wear-their-hair-in-the-16th-century.html
    Final verdict: the geniuses at Pegaso managed indeed to get both head versions wrong, besides the head size, adressed above !
    Oda likes this.