1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Ronin in 90 mm

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by pack88, Jul 17, 2007.

1. pack88 New Member

Italy
    hy guys,

i show you the new figure sculpted by Andrea Jula For Pegaso.

it's one ronin in 90mm,

yesterday i have start the painting, and i hope i finish for the last days of july

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      145.8 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      183.5 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      187.3 KB
      Views:
    • a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      172.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the pics Diego. Look forward to seeing your painted figure for Pegaso.
  3. tefaet Active Member

Spain
    Hi Diego a new great work from Andrea Jula , I hope another great work from you.
    Regards Jose Luis
  4. Zlobov*S Active Member

Super character! Fine execution{performance}!
    -!!!-
    Yours faithfully.
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Jesus...!!!!!!!
    Looking forward to get it and see your painting also!
    christos
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful!

Jay H.
    OKc
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Diego,
    Andrea Jula did a great job on this sculpting. Excellent.
    But i wouldn't call it a Ronin.
    What i have read (when i was painting a Ronin) that Ronin's where a masterless samurai during the feudal period (1185–1868) of Japan. A samurai became masterless from the ruin or fall of his master, or after the loss of his master's favor or privilege.
    According to the Bushido Shoshinshu (the Code of the Samurai), a ronin was supposed to commit oibara seppuku (also "hara kiri" – ritual suicide) upon the loss of his master.
    One who chose to not honor the code was "on his own" and was meant to suffer great shame. The undesirability of ronin status was mainly a discrimination imposed by other samurai and by the daimyo (the feudal lords).

When i see all the clothing and weapons he is wearing i couldn't speak about a masterless samurai. This is a rich samurai.

marc
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Beautifully sculpted, a definite must have.

Cheers
    Roc
  9. Taiko Well-Known Member

Czech-Republic
    Hi Diego,
    wonderful sculpted, look forward to seeing your work. It´s my favourite period and will buy it for my collection...;) :D
  10. primate New Member

Greece
    what a great figure!!!!
  11. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Ronin not a samurai??

First off thank you Diego for posting this one. I can hardly wait to see your masterful strokes on this one. Pegaso has made another classic here.

Marc, I do not understand your comment. If a Ronin was originally a samurai and then became masterless but did not committ suicide - he would still have access to all his samurai armour and swords etc. Disgraced yes but not necessarily without armour and weapons??

Ciao
    Franco
  12. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful sculpt work . I ll be waiting for your painting DIEGO !!

Costas
  13. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    fantastic my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Because when a Samurai became a Ronin he has no more then his underwear. The armour and wapens belong to his master.
    He became a wanderer, and was the undersite of the society. With other words, usual he has no more then his underwear.
    And he has access to nothing.....

Marc
  15. pack88 New Member

Italy
    i have spoock long time about this whit luca and other expert of japanees warrior, and all says this foigure is possible is a ronin vhitout problem, it is important that it has poor armour, poor clots

now for mee is difficult to explane all in english, but i can repost one discussion about this argoments.

------------------------------
    The word rōnin literally means "drifting person". The term originated in the Nara and Heian periods, when it originally referred to serfs who had fled or deserted their master's land. It is also a term used for samurai who had lost their masters in wars.

Status

According to the Bushido Shoshinshu (the Code of the Samurai), a ronin was supposed to commit oibara seppuku (also "hara kiri" – ritual suicide) upon the loss of his master.[citation needed] One who chose to not honor the code was "on his own" and was meant to suffer great shame. The undesirability of ronin status was mainly a discrimination imposed by other samurai and by the daimyo (the feudal lords).

A ronin was given equal respect to master-sponsored samurai by the general population and were actually preferred by Zen masters, artists, philosophers over their more obedient and faceless samurai counterparts[citation needed]. As thoroughly bound men, most samurai resented the personal freedom enjoyed by wandering ronin. Ronin were the epitome of self-determination; independent men who dictated their own path in life, answering only to themselves and making decisions as they saw fit. And like regular samurai, some ronin still wore their daisho.

Rōnin might be hired as yōjimbō (bodyguards or mercenary fighters) by villagers, merchants, or others in need of protection.

During the Edo period, with the shogunate's rigid class system and laws, the number of ronin greatly increased. Confiscation of fiefs during the rule of the third Tokugawa shogun Iemitsu resulted in an especially large increase. During previous ages, samurai were easily able to move between masters and even between occupations, and marry between classes. However, during the Edo period, samurai were restricted from doing so, and were above all forbidden to become employed by another master without their previous master's permission. Also, low-level samurai, often poor and without choice, were forced to quit or escape their master.

History

In the Kamakura and Muromachi periods, when warriors held lands that they occupied, a ronin was a warrior who had lost his lands. During these periods, as small-scale wars frequently occurred throughout Japan, the daimyo needed to augment their armies, so ronin had opportunities to serve new masters. Also, some ronin joined in bands, engaging in robbery and uprisings.

Especially in the Sengoku period, daimyo needed additional fighting men, and even if one's master had perished, a ronin was able to serve a new lord. In contrast to the later Edo period, the bond between the lord and the samurai was loose, and some samurai who were dissatisfied with their treatment left their masters and sought new lords. Many warriors served a succession of masters, and some even became daimyo. As an example, Tōdō Takatora served ten lords. Additionally, the division of the population into classes had not yet taken place, so it was possible to change one's occupation from warrior to merchant or farmer, or the reverse. Saitō Dōsan was one merchant who rose through the warrior ranks to become a daimyo.

As Toyotomi Hideyoshi unified progressively larger parts of the country, daimyo found it unnecessary to recruit new soldiers. Next, the Battle of Sekigahara resulted in the confiscation or reduction of the fiefs of large numbers of daimyo on the losing side; in consequence, many samurai became ronin. As many as a hundred thousand ronin joined forces with Toyotomi Hideyori and fought at the Siege of Osaka. In the ensuing years of peace, there was less need to maintain expensive standing armies, and many surviving ronin turned to farming or became townspeople. A few, such as Yamada Nagamasa, sought adventure overseas as mercenaries. Still, the majority lived in poverty as ronin. Under the third Tokugawa shogun Iemitsu, their number approached half a million.

Initially, the shogunate viewed them as dangerous, and banished them from the cities or restricted the quarters where they could live. They also prohibited serving new masters. As ronin found themselves with fewer and fewer options, they joined in the Keian Uprising. This forced the shogunate to rethink its policy. It relaxed restrictions on daimyo inheritance, resulting in fewer confiscations of fiefs; and it permitted ronin to join new masters.

Among the most famous ronin are Miyamoto Musashi, the famed swordsman, and the Forty-seven Ronin.

Not having the status or power of employed samurai, ronin were often disreputable, and the group was a target of humiliation or satire. It was undesirable to be a ronin, as it meant being without a stipend.

As an indication of the humiliation felt by samurai who became ronin, Lord Redesdale recorded that a ronin killed himself at the graves of the Forty-Seven Ronin. He left a note saying that he had tried to enter the service of the daimyo of the Chōshū Domain, but was refused. Wanting to serve no other master, and hating being a ronin, he had decided to kill himself.
    --------------------------
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Marc's comment may sound outrageous but it's closer to the truth than most may think. :cool:

Bushi (warriors) and samurai (retainers) relied on their master for food, lodging and clothing.

At the demise of their employer – be it by disgrace, death, or bankruptcy – they were deprived of their sole source of income and thus found themselves unemployed and without a social status.

Most owned nothing but the clothes (and underwear :D) they're wearing and their weapons. Some were so desperate that they ended up selling their swords and replacing them by bamboo makeshifts.

These were desperate men despised (and feared) by a highly and rigidly-structured society.

HTH
    Quang
  17. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Indeed.

You can also sculpt a guy in an Armani suit and a German sport car and call him a 'would-be homeless'.:cool:

Q
  18. pack88 New Member

Italy
    based on how much you write is not impossible to see a ronin that it still possesses part of its crews or a ronin that has an old armor

the painting of the piece it represents an old and ruined armor, and poor wearing whit out draving ort ornaments
  19. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Diego,

In most instances, armour and weapons were owned by the 'master' and stored in armoury when not in use.

Even in the case where they belonged to the 'samurai', they were the first items (at least the armour) to be disposed by the owner as they were the most valuable (and worthy of trade) of his assets.

Furthermore, when he lost his master, the ronin lost his lodging as well as his livelihood. He became a vagabond drifting from town to town in search of a job (ronin means 'floatsam', debris floating on the river of life :rolleyes:).

He'd be travelling light. The armour would be an unnecessary burden and would only served to attract bandits (or other ronin) of all kinds.

Kindly note that I'm NOT discussing the Pegaso figure. I'm only discussing about the status and appearance of the ronin as he has been represented in Japanese literature and cinema.

HTH
    Quang
  20. pack88 New Member

Italy
    ...if you discuss on the Pegaso figure for me is not a problem!!!!!
    to the contrary, you can have any kind of opinion of pegaso products whit out any problem.

it would appeal to however to understand to me, beyond the figure in issue, for my personal interest

if:

it is possible that a ronin it had those armour and weapons?

, or it is completely impossible that it could have those armor and scerw.

without giving for absolute truth the literature and the Japanese cinema,

but being based on effective historical searches

if is reasonably possible or not.

i ask this; becaus i dont know.....