1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Release - Trumpette Major des Chevaliers Gardes

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Ratty, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Ratty A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi

Please see the latest release from Bonapartes Military Models. This is a Trumpette Major des Chevaliers Gardes of the Russian Imperial Guard 1803-1807. This is sculpted by Alan Ball and is cast in resin and white metal and is 90mm scale.

This is available now from:

http://www.bonapartesmilitarymodels.co.uk/trumpette-major-des-chevaliers-gardes-313-p.asp

I would like to thank Luc. R for assisting with the resource of this figure.

Thanks
    Paul

AB30b.JPG AB30c.JPG AB30e.JPG AB30f.JPG AB30g.JPG AB30a.JPG AB30d.JPG AB30 print.jpg
  2. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great figure !
    Luc. R;)
  3. svt A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Excellent sculpture, but many mistakes in uniform.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Like especially the Russian!

Extremely well done!!!

[IMG]

Cheers
  5. Reptor A Fixture

Japan
    Just WAHOU !!!! Excellent sculpture !!!! (y):love:
  6. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice figure, but that tree branch would have to go!
  7. Ratty A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richard

Thanks for the feedback, it is possible to swivel the tree round and place the branch behind his head, if the painter prefers.

Thanks
    Paul
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Agree there Richard ....think he would look better against a wall or a fence IMO ...the tree seems to take over a bit

Will look good painted though

Nap
  9. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

I agree that the tree has become too dominant. If the branches were either slightly thinner, or even better thinner and higher so they and the trunk 'frames' the figure, it would improve the overall look significantly (in my humble opinion).

Being a Bonsai artist I am used to working with trees, and that makes it even more difficult (for me) to incorporate them in miniature. For instance, so much work has been done in detailing the trunk and branches (giving them a nice old look = fissured bark on conifers, for deciduous trees it is more colour than bark texture that gives a clue, in this case I would guess a Pinus Sylvestris or Picea Alba) but why has no attention been paid to the roots? As it stands it now looks like a stick stuck in the ground.

Please do not take this the negative way - it is just that this is one of the first things I look at in a Bonsai - and a tree, and in any form of reproduction of trees. In Bonsai this can be rectified over time - with a miniature, and particulalry in this case - the work can go a lot faster.
    By adding an extension to the trunk at the bottom, and some indication of roots (like in the drawing) this (minor) issue can be solved and at the same time the total composition would be improved.

Just my two cents of opinion worth....
    Tecumsea and Nap like this.
  10. Huw63 A Fixture

I like the figure a lot and Bonapartes produce some great stuff. Please could you list the mistakes for our benefit.

Cheers

Huw
    Nap likes this.
  11. svt A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Ok. I hope that this information will be useful.

Initially, the question arises on the dating, it is indicated that 1803-1807, but with this kind of helmet it would be possible to extend the figure until November 26, 1808, however, the hairstyle with the pigtail of the lower ranks was abolished only on December 2, 1806 - thus the figure falls in a short time interval between the end of 1806 and the end of 1808. An earlier term for her could be called if this trumpeter had her hair in a short pigtail.

001.JPG
    In the first picture, in order:
    1. the eight-pointed guards star on the helmet had a different appearance,
    2. on the cuffs of the trumpet major there were non-commissioned officers' insignia of smooth galloon,
    3. all the strings of the musician were made from the guards webbing, as on the chest (6 transverse rows, opposite the buttons, were made double), and on the sleeves and shoulder wings,
    4. It is not entirely clear what kind of handbag it is on the sword belt
    5. The hilt of the sword was of a completely different kind, and the lanyard was therefore tied otherwise.

002.JPG
    In the second picture:
    1. the plumage on the horsehair helmet was without longitudinal or transverse grooves - the differences were only coloring,
    2. The shape of the crest holding the plume was slightly different,
    3. The eight-pointed star on this photo looks like an overhead officer, but star for lower-ranks was minted on helmets,
    4. The visor of the helmet did not have a hump, and along the leading edge it had a brass strip ending on the sides of the helmet with curls,
    5. The side seams were not parallel,
    6. This detail had a slightly different shape,
    7. It is unclear what kind of strip is behind,
    8. There is no chin strap, but should be,
    9. The collar must have non-commissioned officers' insignia - trimmed with a smooth galloon on the front and bottom edges,
    10. On each side of the collar there should be two guards tabs in the front,
    11. All single-row stripes for some reason have a furrow in the middle, but there should be a guards webbing,
    12. lining tails was also made guards webbing without grooves.

003.JPG
    In the third picture:
    1. as I wrote earlier, the pigtail was canceled only from December 1806,
    2. The ribbon of the seams on the back was also without grooves, was made of a guards webbing,
    3. These valves were not sheathe in any way, the buttons were from below, and not from above.

And still there are no spurs on the boots, although there is a fastening for them.
    The buckles on the harness straps of the belt were oval.

How it should be (few images).

a01.JPG - Collar with galloons and guards tabs.

a02.jpg - heavy cavalry helmet scheme.

a03.jpg - 1 - ridge shape, 2 - side seams, 3 - front visor.

a04.jpg - eight-pointed guards star minted on the headplate (helmet in the photo of 1808, but the shape of the star did not change).

a05.jpg - chevalier guard's broadsword 1802 mod.

a06.jpg - sheathing from the Guards webbing.

a07.jpg - 1 - pigtail, 2 - valves, what they should be, 3 - walking stick of the non-commissioned officer (the figure did not have it).

PS: I'm sorry if some names for the details of the costume are not properly named by me, I do not know their names in English, so I had to use the words that the electronic translator provided me.
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

Thank you very much for sharing this information - it’s always good to learn more about the arms and uniforms of this era. I really appreciate the trouble to which you’ve gone.

Cheers

Huw
    Nap and svt like this.