1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review New release from Bust Model - "Kamikaze"

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all on PF ,

Its always great to see a new release especially when its from a new company and for me even more so when its a bust !!

Let me introduce to you the company called Bust Model (BM) set up by Benjamin Mauger from France , in todays climate its always a brave thing to do and I am sure we all wish him success in this venture .

So as you might have gathered the release is a Japanese Kamikaze depicted in the act of departing for the final sacrifice for his country .

As with all my reviews lets have a little bit of history about the subject first:

The word Kamikaze is usually translated as "divine wind" (kami is the word for "god", "spirit", or "divinity", and kaze for "wind").

In Japanese, the formal term used for units carrying out suicide attacks during 1944–45 is tokubetsu kōgeki tai (特別攻撃隊), which literally means "special attack unit". This is usually abbreviated to tokkōtai (特攻隊). More specifically, air suicide attack units from the Imperial Japanese Navy were officially called shinpū tokubetsu kōgeki tai (神風特別攻撃隊, "divine wind special attack units").

Ceremonies were carried out before kamikaze pilots departed on their final mission. They were given the Flag of Japan inscribed with inspirational and spiritual words
    Normally carrying a Nambu pistol , a semi-automatic pistol used by the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy during the First and Second World Wars. The pistol had two variants, the Type A , and the Type 14 , Also carried is a dress dagger a Katana (sword) could also have been worn , this was often a family blade handed down .

They drank sake and put on a hachimaki a stylized headband in Japanese culture, usually made of red or white cloth, worn as a symbol of perseverance or effort by the wearer. Also worn was a
    Senninbari or a thousand stitch belt , a strip of cloth, approximately one meter in length, decorated with 1000 stitches, given as an amulet by women to soldiers on their way to war as a part of the Shinto culture of Imperial Japan.-, a "belt of a thousand stitches" sewn by a thousand women who made one stitch each. They also composed and read a death poem as well .

The kamikaze has been the subject of much contoversy and historical writings including both European and Japanes films .

These men were prepared to die for their country as a result of which many lost their lives and inflicted much damage on their targets , perhaps the better known ones being at Pearl Harbour .

According to US sources :Approximately 2,800 Kamikaze attackers sunk 34 Navy ships, damaged 368 others, killed 4,900 sailors, and wounded over 4,800. Despite radar detection and cuing, airborne interception and attrition, and massive anti-aircraft barrages, a distressing 14 percent of Kamikazes survived to score a hit on a ship; nearly 8.5 percent of all ships hit by Kamikazes sank.

Whatever your views are on these men they were brave and wishing not to dishonour their family and serve the emperor

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,
    Moving onto the actual subject of the model , it is a very brave one to choose as a first release and BM are to be congratulated on this IMO .

Here is the link to Benjamins original post :

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showpost.php?p=442660&postcount=1

Lets get to the best bit ...whats in the box:

Subject Title: Kamikaze (Bataille de Leyte Nov 1944)

Scale : 1:110

Material : Resin

Reference Number : BM 001

Sculptor : B Y Queruel

Box Art : Benjamin Mauger

The model was received in a strong carboard box , the inside of which secured the pieces in amongst a mass of packing (good start ..no damage in transit:)) .

There is a colour picture on the front of the box painted by Benjamin , a good start as a reference ...it might be an idea to have additional views included in the box in future releases .

After unpacking the parts which consisted of 6 pieces , namely the torso and head complete , the 2 hands , a map case , and a base together with an aluminium rod to use if you wish to mount the model higher .

The resin used is a similar green colour used by Verlinden busts, on first looking there are a couple of fine mould seams to remove , these are easily done with wet and dry , there is also the remnants of the casting process underneath to deal with but overall all minor things .

Make sure you wash the parts before you prime in order to remove any casting residue , I dry fitted the parts which I found to be very good staying in position without the aid of blutac !!!!

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

dArtagnan likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Looking now at the main piece of the model :

This is sculpted from the waist upwards with the arms raised to the back of his head , he is wearing a float vest with a type 14 pistol and dagger tucked into the waist ties , across his shoulder he has the

He does not wear a katana but the dress dagger was presented on graduation from the Naval Academy

One thing I must note is the amount of fine details that has been included , a credit to both the sculptor and the caster with careful painting bringing out the details even more.

Sculpting is clean and well defined with good undercuts around the collar , the folds on the clothig are particularly noticably good when looking at the arms .

Facial features are good also with the sculpting being a very close resemblance to the reference picture used , the eyes are looking down the features are somber and determined .

The headband also has nicely detailed folds , very fine and looking correct as it should if you are putting on a headscarf (trust me in the cause of reviewing I did actually do the pose!!!)

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

4. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets have some further detail pictures :

As you can see a veritable mass of great sculpting , with all looking right throughout .

For your future projects as reference also some pictures of the hachimaki and a dress dagger .

Continued in next post :

Nap

Attached Files:

5. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the other pieces :

Firstly the hands , these are totally separate and need careful fitting to get it right , I suggest pinning as well , once in place it really does look like he is pulling on the ends ..spot on , detailing on the hands are very good with the digits of the hand in the correct position .......I tried this as well looking in a mirror ...honestly the things I do in the name of modelling ....worth it though !!!

The map case is a good representation , fitting nicely into position at the end of the belts ....good chance to paint worn leather here .

Also we have a nice resin base to use if you wish ..good chance to do some paint effects on this if you want to , there is also an aluminium rod to use if you so desire .....this is a nice addition to see and shows a company that thinks of its customer .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

6. Nap Moderator

England
    Finally:

Lets have some complete pictures and my final thoughts .

The model was well packaged and presented , with a high level of detail throughout , the subject might not be to everyones taste but when painted this will be an imposing model , testing the painting skills with the less than colourful clothing .

It is a snapshot of a piece of history reproduced by a great sculptor and with a high level of thought from BM themselves .

You can get one for your collection at the reasonable cost of 45 euro's inclusive of shipping , display with pride , it will certainly be a talking point at shows .

I for one look forward to seeing the next release from Bust Model , I am sure that it will be an interesting and thought provoking subject .

For more information contact Benjamin at bustmodel@gmail.com or visit the website at www.bustmodel.fr

Nap

PS:

For a great start on the Japanese Naval Uniforms then can I suggest that you obtain a copy of the Osprey book "Japanes Naval Aviation Uniforms and Equiptment 1937-45" written by Gary Nila , great illustrations especially for the equiptment worn , the book is in the Elite series Number 86 , ISBN number 1-84176-465-5 .

Attached Files:

7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good ,difficult pose to get just right,
    I'm sure we will see lots of versions of the hachimaki
  8. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Greate review Kev, as always. Not my type of bust personally but it is very true to the photos.
  9. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is something really DIFFERENT in terms of a bust and it will look great next to my Tamiya 1/32 Zero model aircraft.

Just placed an order.

Gary
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,
    Thanks for the comments (y)

Hope the review was of some help , it is different and will look good painted up .

Gary , hope to see the WIP on your purchase on PF

nA[
  11. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    "Kamikaze"

Just got home from work to find this bust waiting for me - great service and delivery times. The quality of casting is fabulous with not a single pinhole or chipped part anywhere.Indeed, the casting and detail on this bust is as good (IMHO) as anything in a YM or Pegaso box ....which pretty much says it all.

Kevin - I recently built the Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 and intend to do the earlier 1/32 Zero A6M2 as a Pearl Harbor machine with this piece on the same plinth. It will easily pass for an early war pilot (instead of) a 'Kamikaze' with some minor mods if necessary. One for the future however.

Great bust and subject and I really hope they do some more large scale pilots like this to place alongside my eventual collection of 1/32 Tamiya Spits and P-51Ds. Buy with total confidence!

Gary