1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Project/work In Progress

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Richard E, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Richard E New Member

Am not really in a pianting mood lately so this is what I'm currently working on, it's (or will be) a 90 mm Uzbek warrior.

I'm not sure how the sabre is going to end up, whether to put it into a thrust position or as it is now in a slashing mode.

But tell me what you think of it so far.
  2. Richard E New Member

And another view from the front.
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Richard!

How's the mail done? "C" profile? or something else I've not considered?
    That's the way I'd like mine to turn out!
    Some nice folds/creases there - don't laugh too much when you see my attempt!!
    Cheers

Simon

BTW, FWIW I think the "slashing" pose flows better (not that I've seen the other! )
  4. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Lovely work Richard. I'm also interested in how you did the mail, it looks spot on (not too large ).
    To be honest I don't know what a Uzbek warrior is , where are they from?

Leigh
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Richard,

I agree with others, nice work and what time period is he from?

Joe
  6. Richard E New Member

Thanks for your comments guys.

The mail is done with a piece of brass rod cut into a C profile, which means you can get it to scale with a small pair of pliers.

The Uzbek Khanate came about after the the Golden Horde tore itself apart in the 15th century, and split into the Khazaks and Uzbeks. The Uzbeks attacked the cities of central Asia, and eventually settled into what is now Uzbekistan, whilst the Khazaks followed them to what is now Khazakstan. (that actually tooka about 100 years but you get the picture :) ).

looking at the picture, I am going to redo the khaftan on the left shoulder, and add a bow case and quiver.

Richard
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    looking good, i like the mail also :)

kinetic poses are very difficult with so many variations, for example the angle of the sabre could dictate two different actions, 1) the subject bolting forward from a standstill (sabre angled forward used balance himself and "pull" to a launch) 2) mid-motion in slashing motion (sabre reared back in preperation for a clash)

instinctively focus with the anatomy is a key role, but so many subtleties in kenetic poses fortify the motion and define the type of motion, limbs are an important factor but so are the little things that help define it: the robe, the drapery and even the tassle on the shield..

(y)
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great Richard.......would love to take a brush to this figure.....Keep us posted on the progress please.

Guy
  9. Richard E New Member

Good points Gordy.

I imagine him to be swinging around to attack a newly seen enemy, hence that's why the back foot looks out line with the rest of the anatomy, and the kaftan is billowing out in a sort of spiral as his body twists around.

I've also just noticed that his left arm would be moving a backward motion (which makes the tassel moving the wrong way.)

Also I'm going to stick with the slashing pose.

Will be working some more on him tonight and I'll post some pics.

Richard
  10. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Richard

Are these photos taken with your new Nikon?

Simon
  11. Richard E New Member

That's right, and I can't tell you how fantastic it is (not the camera I think everybody knows the pros and cons of a Coolpix).

I mean how much easier it is to be able to take a shot and send it off, delete it if it's rubbish etc, and I don't have that nagging "wasting film" feeling at the back of my mind for a progress shot. I can save my film for the airshows.

I really recommend it to you Simon.
  12. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Eeeeeh, can't wait to get mine now! Gonna have to though, about two weeks :(
    Never mind, it'll be worth the wait, judging by your pics!

Simon
  13. Richard E New Member

Simon.

The only problem I really have with it though, is that I can't control depth of field, nor can I do anything about the ISO rating, ISO is not really a problem as I only intend to use it for the modelling shots (I won't be seen dead with it in public), but the DOF is a pain.

Mind you I might RTFM at some point, and it will show me how to do it ;)
  14. JohnLea New Member

My cousin Vinny uses a digital camera to take in progress shots of his work. He then blows them up to see what if anything, needs his attention. It gives him a magnified view and a different point of reference.