1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New project, new beginnings

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by simon1969, Nov 6, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Richard:

I've just tried scanning the head but it's not coming out too well :( I'm hopefully getting the digicam at the end of the month so I'll be posting a few pics then (might take the head to work tomorrow & see if my boss will bring his digicam in)

Rob:

g'night mate!

Cheers

Simon
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, Glad to be of help. I have several figure sketches that I'm saving for future figure ideas and possibly some uniform articles, they do come in handy when planning. By the way I like your sketch, why not give your "Dragonslayer" a helmet with a dragon motif/crest.~Gary
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary,

Yeah, I was thinking last night about adding some accoutrements like a shield somewhere on the final base & definately a scabbard for that monster of a sword!
    When I was doing the sketch I thought of drawing the scabbard on his back but then the cloak would get in the way (I know I said I chose a fantasy figure because it would give me a free reign, but there has to be some "realism" i think!)
    A helmet would be good (especially if I put it on his head - no worries about the hair then! )

Have you ever illustrated/written a sculpting "How-To"? I might be alone in this, but I often find that I get a clearer understanding of the concept(s) involved from a clearly labelled drawing than a series of photos (though that may stem from growing up always looking for the Stan Catchpol articles in Mil Mod first?!? :) )

Cheers

Simon
  4. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Richard:

I was thinking about this last night as I was doing the head & I thought, "why not make it in a similar way to a real sword?" build the blade plus a tang (is that the right word?) then the hilt, handle & pommel stone can all be made seperately & fitted when the blade is complete. That's precisely why I love this forum, the "bouncing" around of ideas really gets my brain working! Cheers! (y)

Rob:

You must've posted this as I was replying to Richard last night because I've only just seen it! Yep, you're right I'm afraid (though I did find some ludicrously cheap ones on Ebay yesterday, but they've got a couple of days left yet to go up :( )

Cheers
    Simon
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Good Morning Simon,
    I thought that would be an excellent idea about an article SBS on sculpting for those, like myself, are visual people. Using both drawings of the concept, like your sketch, and photos of the progress. Planetfigure would love you to do it. (y)

Guy(not awake yet)
  6. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Good morning Guy,

If I get my (Sorry - the family!) new digicam soon enough, I was thinking of taking a lot of progress shots purely for myself, but if they turn out OK then it might be worth doing if anyone would be interested? It might be interesting purely as a record of a beginners first attempt at sculpting?

Hoping to make a lot of headway this weekend: bulk out the armature, start on the sword & finish off the head! (plus gary's got me sketching designs for a helmet & I've had a few ideas how to make it!)

Simon
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Mornin again (slowly waking up here )
    That would be a great idea to share with others who may want to start out doing a figure is to have your step by step in front of them and we can put in the pf archives / library for reference in the future.

Guy
  8. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    It's been bugging me who the picture looks like, but I think I know now! It's Derek Smalls from Spinal Tap!!
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, I've never done an article on scratchbuilding. It is a great way to visualize what you want the end product to look like. I would think a booklet or series of articles using drawings and photos could be of benefit. It's just a matter of fiding the time to do it. Maybe someday.~Gary