1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New project, new beginnings

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by simon1969, Nov 6, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello all,

My first scratch-building project (the Gandalf figure) has “hit the wall”, as Richard might put it! (The pose was altogether wrong & the armature broke when I tried to adjust it)
    But I’m not giving up, I’ve decided to go back to the drawing board (literally!) and try again.
    I decided to stay with a fantasy figure for this first attempt, purely because I don’t want to get bogged down with historically accurate references as well as references for the anatomy and crease/fold work! (Who’s to say that a fantasy figure is wearing the wrong type of clothes or using the wrong equipment?)

During a very slow couple of hours this morning at work, I drew the initial sketch of what I want to do, and have attached a copy to this post.
    Looking at the sketch will give you fair warning of some of the questions I’m likely to ask during the next few weeks/months (years??)
    But I’ll start off with a question that’s not quite so obvious from the pic!
    From experience of a few aborted figures, I’m going to have to do the majority of the sculpting of the right arm with it separate from the body, but have no idea how best to approach this!
    Do I start with a full armature and get the shoulder detail done then remove the arm and work on it?
    Or have the arm separate from the start?

BTW, if you think this might be a little too ambitious for my first real attempt, please do tell me!!

And i know the sketch is a little out of proportion! the armature won't be
  2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Blimey Simon, there is NOTHING wrong with your sketch! I imagine most people would be content with a stickman sketch!

For myself, I'd start with an armature and do the whole lot as one, but I'm sure there are others who would have a different approach.

From the evidence of your 2D artistry, I have no doubt in your sculpting in 3D for the future.

GO FOR IT!

Rob
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Rob,
    I wasn't too happy with the sketch, but I am my own worst critic!
    besides, it gives me a point of reference (something I've not had when I've tried scuplting before!)
    And, it'll give the guys on here some fore-warning of the questions they're likely to get from me in the future ;) (how do I do "flying hair/cloaks" etc!)

The reason I'm thinking of doing the right arm seperately, is the body is going to obscure a lot of it if I try to do it in place.

Simon
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    WOW.......Simon the scetch is great and no doubt the figure you sculpt will be too. I think we all have a tendency to be our own worst critics.....I guess that is why we all try harder on each figure.

Guy
  5. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    OK, I'm beginning to think posting the picture was a mistake cos it might look like I'm angling for compliments! I'm not, I want an honest opinion on whether I'm aiming to high trying to do this for my first attempt & suggestions for the arm thing!
    SO pretend the sketch is by someone else & I just want to copy it as my first proper attempt at sculpting & go from there!

Gordy, can you bring the embarrassed smilie over from MUG please?!?
  6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Simon:

The pose is a good one; a 'straight up and down' one. Aside from the subtle body movements that the armature may have to capture, I believe this is a good one to start with.

Challenges here would be: Chainmail, flowing cloak and sword. (Oh and the rest!)

I Think it would make a great piece (y)

I really think you should go for it.

Rob
  7. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Rob,

Any suggestions for the sword? I'm thinking of making the blade from plastic card and the hilt/handle from putty on paper clip wire (haven't figured out how to join the two together yet though!)

I really need that smilie!

Guy:
    Thanks mate, I hope I can do it justice!

Simon
  8. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Simon:

BTW, what scale?

So you plan to do everything or use a commercial head? (often a good place to start)

Plasticard would be good; Gordy would probably suggest the rolling of milliput and carving (as in his articles). Maybe that would prove stronger (although chance of snapping).

Rob
  9. poch mahone Active Member

Scotland
    Looks good Simon, go for it.

Brian
  10. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    I was thinking around 90mm & hoping to try to do everything (arrgh!!!)
    hmmm, rolling milliput with a wire already imbedded the full length plus the handle might be good! (I know you didn't suggest the wire bit, but it just came to me!)

creative juices flowing now, can't wait to get home!

Simon
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, I like the idea and have a few thoughts on how you might sculpt him. I would do the torso and legs as one piece, and then drill out holes for the arms and place them in the desired position. I'll post more later as it's time for me to go work.~Gary
  12. Richard E New Member

Hi Simon, (Great sketch by the way)

When I make a dolly, I make the parts as seperate pieces to sculpt on. If you don't want to do this, I suggest that you put his right hand on his knee and move the arm out a bit (umm sort of), so you still get the relaxed pose but can sculpt all as one piece, and not get in the way of the painting process.

Read that post I gave you on making feathers, works for swords too, then when you have a blade it's easier to add the handle and make it all as one piece.

Good luck with this one mate, it's going to look fantastic. (y)

Richard
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, Hope this helps.~Gary
  14. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary:

YOU BEAUTY!!!!! That's a great help, exactly what I needed! it's being printed out as I type! (y)

Richard:

Yeah, just re-read your post about the feathers & can see that working, cheers

I think I've managed to rescue my original head from the Gandalf figure for this one, I'll work on it tonight and hopefully, if all goes well, that'll be the first hurdle over with! (just had to have another look at Gordy's MM SBS to refresh my memory with the eyes!)

Off now to do some Sculpting

Cheers

Simon
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary....I'm printing that one too

(y)
  16. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary

Good sketch: Just goes to show how useful planning before starting a project can/should be. Best not go into it blind!

Rob
  17. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Precisely! I would've probably bumbled about for weeks before giving up if I hadn't seen that! (maybe! ;) )
    Just finished what I can of the head for tonight, &, touch wood, all is going well (course I've just cursed it now aint I?!) :(

Simon
  18. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Believe me Simon, I would have done the same. However, that is a sweet and concise drawing!

However, I've really got to get off this PC and crash....

Rob
  19. Richard E New Member

Simon

Would love to see some pics of your progress, sounds like you're really going for it.

And Rob, Samurai Jack?

Richard
  20. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Richard: Well spotted! It's only been there 10 minutes!
    Love it! Best cartoon I've seen in years! Got addicted to it on CNX, and also being a big kid with a 5 year old! lots of sword fights in our house!

Simon: guess we have to wait till you get that family Xmas pressie to see progress shots?

Rob