1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Napoleonic

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

I am trying to teach myself how to paint flesh in acrylics. Here is my 3 rd attempt. I will have pictures of my first one later on another figure that I am painting. I am just starting this one but wanted to share some pictures.

Thanks,

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another one :)

Attached Files:

3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    sorry about the pictures. I think it looks a little better in person but just can't get the pictures to work. :(

Attached Files:

4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Your acrylic flesh looks good Joe. How do you like them to work with?
  5. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, I paint exclusively in acrylics (incl. fleshtones) and your technique is smashing please post more about it.
  6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Joe, YOU MAKE ME SICK! :lol: Just kidding ;) You can paint just about anything. I really like the contrast on this guy. Night and Day compared to your earlier efforts. Now that you have gone and made the switch, I guess I'll have to pull out some oils. LOL! Like that'll ever happen! You realize now you'll either go down and get bronzed or you'll be golden now? ;)

Keep it up bruddah!
    Jim Patrick
  7. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Looks pretty darn good to me.

It may be the photo's but the blush and lips could be a bit deeper / darker. Make sense?

(y)

Keith
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Joe, very nice, you seem to have masterd the acrylic technique well. ;)

Anither oil painter leaving the ranks. :(
    Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc.
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hey Joe, I think you did pretty well with the acrylics flesh. Keep it up.

Hammer, don't worry, there are still lots of oil painters who will never change :)

Xenofon
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Joe,

It looks very good. And as Rocco said, another oil painter leave the ranks.
    Well, i stay with the oils, my results are better with it than with acrylic.
    And i love the smell of turpentine and oilpaint.

Marc.
  11. Opsofficer New Member

At first glance I would have sworn it was a flat! :)
  12. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Know what Justin, I thought so too!

Jim Patrick
  13. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    Isn't it??

Peter
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

Thanks. I think I still have a ways to go but at least I am now not using the oils.

Roc,

I am sorry to be leaving the ranks but I was having a harder time lately using the oils and just had to try to break away from them. ;) so sad. :lol:

Jim,

We will have to see how far from the bottom I am, you know I am a bottom feeder. :lol:

Keith,

No, you are right. The cheeks are a bit darker in person but I still think I need to work on them as well as the lips. It may be to late on the blush but I will correct the lips, thanks for the help.

Oh and by the way, it is not a flat but I wish I could paint one that made people think twice. He is a Metal Models kit.

Joe
  15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Matt,

So sorry I forgot to explain what you asked.

I tried to use the mixtures all the great ones are using and all I came up with was a great big mess!! So I had a brain storm :eek: . I had been using oils and then acrylics for the highlights and shadows so I thought why not do the same in the acrylics and just make my basic highlight a bit darker and use it for the base and then go on like I had been.

The base for this figure was Beige red + Red Leather. The highlight were then more beige red then Beige red + basic skintone and then the highest was a mix of another flesh color, I think it was basic flesh, sorry can't remember right now but will double check.

The shadows were more red leather and then some beige brown and then the deepest were burnt umber mixed and then some pure BU.

I hope you can understand my rambling and if not just let me know.

Joe
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Your efforts are paying off for sure. Unfortunately the pics can be misleading sometimes.~Gary
  17. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    LOOKS REALLY GOOD,Joe (y) (y) !!! Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  18. Bill Mayo New Member

Joe,

I think the flesh tones have been covered. I'd like to add that the hair looks to be about perfect.
    Great job!

-Bill
  19. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words. I hope to get some better pictures of him once I start on the clothing.

Hey Bill,

How are things? Thanks. I have been trying to make an effort to make the hair look better and I appreciate you taking notice.

Joe