1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Life Size Head

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MinasTirithGuard, Aug 24, 2006.

1. MinasTirithGuard New Member

Here's a new head I'm coming to a close on. It is made of Chavant NSP Medium clay, and it's modeled off of a friend. Though I was able to rough it out in a week or so, I was really busy over the summer and made some tweaks here and there when I had the time for two months. Any comments much appreciated, thanks for looking!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ethan, I'm sure you've heard this before. You are one talented young man. You can either continue to refine it or leave it as is. I really enjoy looking at your lifesize pieces. How close in likeness are your sculptures to their models? Keep doing what you're doing you've got a promising future.~Gary
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Ethan. It's good to see some of your work again. I suspect you will be leaving us all behind in a few years, keep it up.
  4. MinasTirithGuard New Member

Thanks alot Gary and John. Sadly, after doing this I don't have the eyes for miniatures, and I just like to work large now :eek:

My more recent pieces have actually been pretty close to the models. Several friends were able to guess who this was unprompted, and the girl herself thought it looked alot like her. Contrary to what others might say, I do in fact cooperate with my friends on these, I hear alot of stalker comments from my classmates :lol:

Regardless, the practice is great.
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Verey good job, looks very lifelike.

Keep up the good work and do continue to post.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  6. Lubitch Member

Poland
    Excellent likeness !!! :eek: (y)
    Beautiful sculpt work.
    I love her eyes :)
  7. Piotr Czyz Active Member

Poland
    Excelent! I like especialy the body language and the way how you catch her smile!

Does Chavant NSP Medium clay need to be hardened?

Regards, Piotr
  8. MinasTirithGuard New Member

Chavant is a plasticene, it's sort of a waxy clay that never dries. To get a permanent copy you'd need to take a mold off of it. However it remains pretty tough at room temperature and should be heated before aplication to soften it up. It can also be cast, I used a harder grade clay to cast the eyeballs so I was able to get a strong, perfectly round shape.

Hope that helps,
    Ethan
  9. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic to see Ethan, looks like it was great fun too....and has lots of life.

I'd love to do a lifesize subject.

All the best...Roy.
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work Ethan.

How do you start a large scale project like this? What type or core do you use? Any pics for the early stages?

Many questions!

Keep up the superb work!
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Superb! And just as your previous works - bubbling with youth and vitality! I have no idea how you capture that, but, for me, that's the best part of your sculpting, Ethan. And I'm with Anders - tell us more about the techniques used.

All the best,
    Dan
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work Ethan.............would love to see a photo of the model to see how close you came.
  13. MinasTirithGuard New Member

Ok guys, I think I'm going to try to basically make this head over. I like this one but I want to start another that's a little cleaner and built to cast from the start, so I have a strong portfolio piece to cart around. With this in mind, I think I'll try fully documenting it and putting up a tutorial when it is done. I'll probably come back in a week or so when I have something to show for it. BTW, if I try to do something along the lines of Gary's SBS (though not nearly as monumental ;) ) should I put it here or in the sculpting section?

Thanks alot for the kind words,
    Ethan
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ethan, I would put it in the SCULPTING section. I'm thinking folks would be more likely to see it if you had it there as opposed to your Vbench.~Gary