1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Head (likeness attempt)

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by pokrad, Jul 17, 2016.

1. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Eyes almost there (I think), now to deal with mouth and chin, and then increase polycount and break the symetry...

[IMG]
    Old Pete and Scotty like this.
  2. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Any critic, observation, suggestion appreciated :)
    [IMG]
  3. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    A lot of small changes that are making a big difference...still not sure if I'm on the right track...
    [IMG]
    Eludia and Scotty like this.
  4. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    It's getting there isn't it? Have you tried laying a transparent copy of the Connery photo over yours? It may help you see where changes can be made.
    Scotty.
    Eludia likes this.
  5. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yes I did, and it matches to some degree (especially the profile) - but I did not resolve mouth part yet - it is completely wrong and currently it ruins likeness pretty much...
    Scotty likes this.
  6. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    A bit closer with the shapes of the mouth:

[IMG]
    Scotty and Eludia like this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    He's definitely getting there Darko (y)

I think maybe the top lip still looks a bit full compared to the bottom lip. It looks quite thin in your reference photos, with a slightly smaller gap between the moustache and the top of the lower lip. I also notice quite a pronounced crease on his chin in the photos which is what may be accentuating the lower lip a bit more.
    Scotty likes this.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Fascinating SBS. Still numerous differences, but I'm sure you'll get them all. The chin is the most obvious difference to me, not the mouth. Cheeks are a bit baggier and sagging slightly. Eye pouches a bit deeper and almost symmetrical creases under each. Creases on the forehead.

Great fun watching you scuffle with this!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

pokrad and Scotty like this.
  9. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I know you are still in the early stages with this so I think it's going in the right direction. I look forward to seeing it come along.
  10. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Dan, You are right, but all the creases are almost impossible to do in such small resolution. There is a process with 3D sculpting (at least the one that works for me), that first establishes the volumes, then breaks the symmetry and increases the resolution.
    You see, the creases are absolutely non-symetrical, so there is no point to make them in this stage. You correctly noticed that cheeks are sagging down towards mouth area, and the space between lower lip and the chin is wrongly shaped and that is my concern in this stage (volumes). The cheeks are looking wrong because I did not find the relation from the volumes of the cheek to the volumes of the mouth yet - that is what I'm trying to say ;)
    When I break the symmetry, I'll slightly break it for the volumes too, and then all the small creases and wrinkles will be added.
    But before all that, person should be recognizable even in such small resolution and with symmetry enabled if the volumes are correct ;)

Off course, there are people that are doing it completely different, like our friend Antonio Argudo here from PF.
    He can in just few raw strokes get the relations between all of the main volumes, and almost instantly get the likeness (that is a talent I think...)
    Unfortunately I do not have that skill, for me it is a process, few hours of fight against my own brain and it takes much, much longer ;)
    Still I hope I'll get there soon, and appreciate Your observations very much !
    Dan Morton and Scotty like this.
  11. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I don't know if this is a stupid suggestion but would a trace on tracing paper of the photograph placed over the screen help at all?
  12. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    No, and there are better way to do that in digital ... you can "project" the image over the sculpt or set transparency on image to see the sculpt below - no need for paper :)
    But human face is complex structure, so that does not help much (at least not to me) except to set the overall shape of the scull.
    Also many images are taken from different angles, in different lighting and photo sensitivity so human face often looks different on every image.
    You simply need to look at the bunch of images and figure out what is going on and try to reproduce it...

For example here is a main reference image projected over the sculpt:
    [IMG]

I am using in mostly to check where I am currently with the sculpt...
    Eludia and Scotty like this.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "There is a process with 3D sculpting (at least the one that works for me), that first establishes the volumes, then breaks the symmetry and increases the resolution. You see, the creases are absolutely non-symetrical, so there is no point to make them in this stage."

In 3D sculpting is the program itself maintaining symmetry at first, based on your initial drawing of the subject - what you are calling 'establish the volumes'? If it isn't the program, wha...?

All the best,
    Dan
  14. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yes, the program keeps the symmetry as long as You want, but symmetrical portraits do not look natural, so You have to break it at some point.
    For me "establishing volumes" means to find the size and shape of the scull, and other scull landmarks (position of nasal bone, frontal bone, jaw etc) and then establish the volumes and the relations of the main muscles.
    For example how nasolabial fold connects to orbicilaris oris (main volume of the mouth). As I said its process for me, as I do not have the skill to make it all at once.
    If I understood You question correctly ;)

If You are interested in the process itself, You can check this video for example:

It is different for every 3D program but steps are very similar...
    Dan Morton, Eludia and Scotty like this.
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Struggle continues :)

[IMG]

And few more views :)

[IMG]
    Dekiman and Dan Morton like this.
  16. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Polako stizes tamo gde si krenuo.
    Slika u sredini vec dosta lici na Sona Konerija.
    Sad jedno glupo pitanje :da li ces doraditi brkove?
    Ovako izgledaju kao nalepljeni.
    Pratim dalje sta radis i cini mi se da ce ovo biti prva liga.
    Pozdrav
  17. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Brkovi i kosa i kapa su zasebni objekti (mesh) i za sada su samo "placeholderi" i to u vrlo niskoj rezoluciji -dakle stvarno i jesu samo "zaljepljeni" . Svi ti objekti traže znatnu doradu i spajanje sa objektom glave. Kada budem zadovoljan sa samom glavom, povećat ću im rezoluciju, izdetaljirati i spojiti...to bi trebalo riješiti taj neprirodni izgled...
  18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Placeholders for eyebrows will help too:

[IMG]
    Scotty and Eludia like this.
  19. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    His nostrils could be angled more.
  20. JackG Active Member

Canada
    Looking very good, and interesting subject.

As having studied portrait painting, the human face by nature, is rarely symmetrical - and this becomes more so as the subject ages. One trick we learned to better capture likeness is looking at the image upside down (as well as working in that mode). It really does make the subtle differences more apparent.

-----------------------

p.s.
    what news on the Austro-Hungarian bust?