1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New guy alert - part 2

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by simon1969, Oct 9, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello again,
    Now for the question. (after a bit of preamble!)
    I want to develop my figure painting skills a bit more and thought the best way to do this would be to break away from drab WW2 subjects.
    Not knowing much about non-military or pre WW2 figures/manufacturers I'd like some suggestions for a good figure to start the ball rolling - so to speak!
    My preferred scale is 54mm/1-35th but will go bigger!
    Basically, I'm looking for suggestions for a different subject, that's going to be easy enough to paint for a relative begginer & has a lot of character (Can't do my best on a figure that is bland!!!)
    Non-military or pre WW2 military (no nudes! my flesh-painting is fine! ;) )
    Cheers for any input
    Simon
  2. LCoote New Member

Australia
  3. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellant Article Peter, Simon should be able to get started and with the up-coming articles here should recieve alot of help.

Guy
  5. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guys!
    Just so you know where my painting skills are up to, I thought you might like to see a progress shot of one of my recent figures

HUH!!! Why is this here twice now???????........DOH! sorry people!

Is there any way I can delete this double post?????????? HELP
  6. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guys!
    Just so you know where my painting skills are up to, I thought you might like to see a progress shot of one of my recent figures.
    It's a 1/35 offering from Tamiya with a Dragon head. The photo's not too good, sorry!
    This was my first attempt at Camo & the photo was taken before I finished the shading & highlighting on the trousers.
    He's all but finished now and waiting to occupy his place leaning up against a tree stump with a Dawg at his feet!
    Cheers
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Good Morning Simon,
    I would say your painting skills are up there. Great job! What type of scene are you going to use him in? With armor, other figures, a vignette or diorama? Would love to see more pics as you place this figure. Keep up the good work.

(y) Guy
  8. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guy,

I've still got a long way to go to get where I want to be! :(
    More photo's will certainly appear, of this and others, but as I don't have a digicam, they might all come together once a month or so, as I get the films developed! I also need to figure out how to get the lighting right with only the built-in flash on my Nikon!
    (you'll notice that the first few will all be WW2 and most of them will be much the same colours! - which is why I want to branch out! - Red being one of the trickier colours I'd like to crack with-out it turning pink on the highlights!!)
    Cheers
    Simon :)

Ok, played about with my scanner when I got home from work and here is (hopefully) where the figure is at now
  9. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Good call!
    The Elite Miniatures "Norman Knight - Antioch 12somethingorother" is already on my "wants" list, as are several Andrea 54mm pieces!
    Cheers
    Simon :)