1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New! from United Empire Miniatures Trumpeter 3rd Continental Dragoons 1777

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Michaelminiatures, Jan 9, 2015.

1. carl reid A Fixture

England
    I don't think you quite get this freedom of speech thing!
    Because with it comes the right to reply, and shock horror disagree.

As for this is the first time i have experienced critism, you're very wrong!
    I've been a commercial sculptor for almost 30 years. I have worked for some of the biggest operations on the planet. For example Lamborgini, Guinness, Gordons Gin, Smirnnoff The Royal Mint and many more, and let me tell you this the critism you recieve in those arena's is brutal. It would leave most a whimpering wreak. So any critique you can offer is like water off a ducks back!

I think the reality is you don't like the fact people disagree with you or your "freedom of speech"!
  2. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Carl,

It is true that you have a certain style in your sculpting. I am not saying that you use the same head sculpt each time, but you have to admit that the faces you sculpt are typical "Carl Reid sculptures".
    Personally I feel that the faces you sculpt always remind me of Lee Marvin, but that is a personal opinion of course ... could be just me, and who am I ... nobody.
    Now, turn this to your advantage, grab some sculpting tools and some putty and give us a good old Western figure, its' been too long since we saw some figures of cowboys here ... a 120mm sculpt of Lee Marvin as Liberty Valance, I bet that's a winner, if you sculpt it ! Cause you can capture the looks of Lee Marvin I'm sure of that !

Now that was sort of a fucking compliment, so cheer up, and don't start against me now !
    [IMG]
    carl reid and Martin64 like this.
  3. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Just some (amused) thoughts on this conversation:
    English is not the mothertongue of many of us - so some comments sound more harsh than they were intended and there is always scope for misunderstandings.

Carl is one mean sculpting-machine turning out armies of people without legs and I dare to say that in the meantime I can tell if it is one of his pieces without looking at the lettering because he developed a distinct style. Beside the creative way to display disabled people (without legs - hint, hint) in action the eyes of these frontline characters are usually squinted and their rugged faces show the hardships of campaining at those times past.That is at least the similarity I can identify from the pictures provided.

"Everything we hear is an opinion not a fact - everything we see is a perspective not the truth" (Marcus Aurelius)
    And Mark Twain once said something like: "We like people that frankly tell what they think - as long as we share their view":D (excuse my homespun translation)

Cheers, Martin
    garyhiggins and carl reid like this.
  4. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I can resist no longer:rolleyes:
    There is no doubt Carl has a unique style and yes you can spot his creations at musket range not just in the face style but also in the torso shape , he has a flair for creating a nonchalant pose to his busts .
    We are getting to the saturation point with this type of model IE busts in general so some similarities are going to occur .
    But I can also spot an MB sculpt at the above range , or a Snadden , Smudger ,Mitchell ,kaz paint job . and many others .

Nice to have a distinct style

Ron
    Mark S likes this.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I see what you mean about the pose. To me, his arms and hands are positioned they way they might, if he were holding a musket with its butt resting on the ground.

It doesn't detract from the finish in the photos, of course.

Prost!
    Brad
  6. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi Guys,

Firstly I would just like to clarify I have absolutely no problem with critism. As I've stated previously I've sculpted in some harsh environments, where you are a mere conduit for others peoples creativity. An environment where the balance sheet is the only meaningful ingredient, a place where accounts, with no artist vision have the ulimate say. Meetings where your work is presented to a group of people and is openly critiqued, mocked and even laughed at in your presence.
    So critism is and never has been problem for me.

Saying all of that a style is a style. It's as distinctive as a finger print. My work can picked out in a room full piece, the same as everyone else's work.
    As a commercial sculptor you put your neck on line every piece produce. You open yourself up for critism every time, and that goes with job. There is no hiding place. Your work sells or it doesn't. It's as black and white as that.
    As far this situation is concerned the original comment was they're "clones". I asked for explanation. 5 images were presented claiming they all look the same, and not only that, they all look like Indians.... Not only do i disagree with the fact all look like Indian. But to present 5 pieces you then open up the argument to a number of my clients. Who I will defend.
    Not only that, to present 5 as a demonstration of your arguement out of the many, many pieces I've created over the years. It's not even a true representation of a single years work. Let alone my entire portfolio.

That is why I responded.

Carl
    Martin64, Tarracus, Mark S and 4 others like this.
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Just caught up with this.
    I'm sure that there are many here who have in their working lives used a carefully chosen unrepresentative sample to try to impose a point of view.
    The trick is, of course, to make sure that the selection is entirely unrepresentative of a body of work but is entirely representative of the point you're making.
    Debrito in his selection has entirely failed to do this. ......
    On the matter of the FAN CLUB, that comment was simply to get a reaction and it has to make you wonder if the original comments were similarly intended.
    I've got a bunch of Carls sculpts, there is a clear style which for me is desirable, but all are individual faces with a variety of attitudes and expression.
    carl reid likes this.
  8. Mark S Guest

Who's Carl Reid?

Only kidding I know who he is, he's that bloke who always does the same legs every time.
    theBaron, housecarl, DEL and 4 others like this.
  9. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Now that I can't deny Mark.
    You've rumbled me mate!

Carl
    theBaron, Tommi, Mark S and 1 other person like this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Most entertaining argument between two people not arguing I have ever read. Pythonesque..

Colin
  11. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    I don't understand about this discussion either because you if you look at Carl's personality sculpts (actual real people), they are dead on.
    Actually I only wanted to make it an even 50 replies to Mike's thread.o_O:rolleyes:

Bob