1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are a few pictures of my new figure. This is Sherlock Holmes and the hound of Baskerville. I had the head completed but I got some good info from Gordy and Bill Chilstom about what was wrong so here it is after the corrections. I will post more as I go. I will have a hound leaping at him.

All comments welcomed. :)

Joe
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view
  3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
  4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Great idea Joe. Keep us posted.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Can't wait to see more i saw this little guy in real life last Sunday night and it's gonna be a keeper (y)
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Bob and Gordy,

Gordy thanks again for the help and the visit. (y) I will try to post more of him later.

Joe
  7. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Joe, That's excellent! Terrific subject, and a great job of animation.
  8. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Sure looks promising and its nice to see new ideas when chosing topics to portray.
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Joe!

Glad to see some more of your work. Its looking great, how did you go about doing the long coat?
  10. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Not so elementary, my dear Hudson!

(y) (y) (y)

Quang
  11. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Please just tell me it's going to be commercially available. I'll buy one immediately. Great work!!!

Gino
  12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I have always had an idea in the back of my mind to do this figure. I saw a great drawing of Sherlock in an old IR catalog and this helped to motivate me.

Andy,

What I did was sculpt the lower legs and just worried about the folds on the legs from the knees down, I then rolled out AVES putty and waited for it to set up and then cut it to shape and added the right side first then the next session I did the same to the left side. I should mention that I just added the coat from the waist down and the sculpted the rest on the figure.

Gino,

Sorry its a one of :(

Joe
  13. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Joe, I wouldn't have guessed that you sculpted the upper half. Did the Aves give you any trouble blending? And, did you do most of the wrinkles before or after the putty has set? Lately, I've taken to doing a little "post processing" with my folds and wrinkles.
  14. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Joe, Holmes is looking great! Do you plan on having him at the Atlanta Show?
  15. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's fantastic Joe (y) (y) (y) great job on the coat too
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Your work improves by leaps and bounds with each piece. Doing a convincing overcoat is not easy, all the folds are in the right places. Great job.~Gary
  17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the kind words and the encouragement. I would have had a few more pictures but I looked at the arm that I had finished and it just did not look right :( no matter how much I tried to convince myself! So out came the snippers and now I just have the basic arm and I will work on it again tomorrow with a clearer head. :lol:

John,

I have had no problem with the AVES. I know a lot of people swear by the Magic Sculpt but if you ever want to try a different putty. ;) To answer your question I sculpted the folds while the putty was wet. I just laid the new putty where I wanted it and blended it over the bottom half of the coat and went from there.

Kreston,

If all goes well I should have him in Atlanta. I will send you an email and the answer to your question is yes.

Joe
  18. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Joe

Excellent figure, and good to see in progress.

You're doing a grand job in producing figures of interesting (non-military) subjects, and I thank you for that, 'cos it's got me thinking..........

cheers

Rob
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    (y) Looking great Joe.......look forward to seeing him develope.
    Thanks for posting pics for us to see. (y)
  20. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob and Guy,

Thanks. I will try to post a few more soon. Rob I look forward to seeing what you do in the nonmilitary area. I have a few more ideas of what I may do after this one but I guess I should do something military or historical one day. :)

Joe