1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Figure painter.....................

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Dave Ward, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Ive been modelmaking for 40 years +, but figure painting has been neglected, so I've started with a ICM 1/16 Swat officer, and a 1/9 Bust of Wellington from Mitches Military Models. DSCF0085.JPG DSCF0271.JPG DSCF0273.JPG

The bust was painted with oils & acrylics - I am still not happy with the eyes, I had many attempts, removing previous layers.......
    I'm hoping to pick up tips and techniques from some of the master painters!
    Dave
    1969, oldtrousers and Babelfish like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not at all bad those Dave for first attempts. The basics of shading & highlighting are there, it's just a matter or honing & refining your technique now.

There's an eye painting tutorial on here somewhere but I can't find it. Meantime here's a visual "how-to" that you might find useful.

EYE painting stages.jpg

Welcome to planetFigure by the way! There are some tremendous painters on here, and plenty of guys willing to share their tricks & tips.

- Steve
    Nap and Dave Ward like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Dave

BIG WELCOME to PF

Lots of help available here , members only too happy to share knowledge ...just ask

Have a look at the WELCOME ABOARD part plenty of threads about and how to on PF

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to the Planet, Dave! Congratulations on making the jump to painting figures. I build models, too, and so often, a modeler will say, "I'm afraid to paint a figure", or "It'll come out lousy!" And I always tell him, "You already have the skills; you've demonstrated that on your model. Painting a figure is just a variation of that application." And I encourage him to try it, and remind him that with practice comes improvement.

I look forward to seeing your work in the future!

Prost!
    Brad
  5. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    This year, I've done models that I've never tried before - the Wellington bust, and a Star Wars Tie Fighter for a little lads birthday ( I have no interest whatsoever in sci-fi, and still don't ), and I'm looking for models/subjects that are outside my comfort zone!
    Dave
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice start Dave into the world of figures. Just curious what was your main modelling interest before figures ?

Cheers
    Steve
  7. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Steve,
    I've dabbled in most genres 1-20 tyrrell 02.jpg 1-35 Model T utility.jpg 1-72 Seehund German minisub.jpg 1-48 mig-25.jpg
    1-35 russian 152mm SPG.jpg
    Many years ago I also did model engineering & plank on frame sailing ships, but I suppose aircraft & AFV have been my most common builds
    Dave
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like you have just about covered everything modelling wise, thanks for the photos.
    Cheers
    Steve
  9. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Dave Ward likes this.
  10. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Welcome

giphy (1).gif
    Dave Ward likes this.
  11. fafo Member

you have complete skills painting figures, ships and vehicles. congrats.