1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New figure, been a long time

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have been in a big slump for sometime and now hopefully will be out of it. I have not taken many pictures but wanted to show you the floor and a early shot of the figure. More has been done but just no pictures.

The floor is sheet styrene and the balastrad is from Armand Bayardi. All were painted with Vallejo's and then Future was airbrushed one the floor for about 15 coats.

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    the figure, don't laugh

Attached Files:

3. pmacko Member

Hi Joe,

I think this looks great. Could you describe your process for painting the floor?
  4. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Joe:

Looking good. Unusual uniform. What regiment is this? :lol: The Balastrad-did you treat it? Most of my pieces from Armand have a smooth cast finish. Yours has a very natural looking semi-rough finish.
  5. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    The figure looks great to me so far...!

TS
  6. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Looks good to me as well. Looking forward to seeing the rest!

(y)

Keith
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well Joe, I'm not laughing..........just admiring! Nice start. Keep us posted!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Joe - Why should we laugh? Seriously, I don't get it. It's a great rendering of the Emperor, a beautiful painting, an excellent setting. Great job!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Joe,
    First you got to explain how you paint the balustrade and the floor.
    For me, Nappi is in his underwear :lol: :lol: , i mean basecoat, or am i wrong.
    Anyway. It looks very good.

Marc
  10. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looks awesome Joe. Shame you didn't take pics of the floor in progress, that is just what I am looking for.
  11. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Nice to see your work again, Joe!

As many others I really like the marble floor and the balustrade. As Ive mentioned before in another of your threads, I prefer this kind of fleshtones in a figure.

Forgive me if Im mistaken but I assume that it is in progress?

Cheers
  12. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Welcome back Joe this is looking great!!!
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Joe, glad to see you out of your slump,missed seeing your work. ;)

Keep up he good work.

Cheers
    Roc.
  14. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work my friend!
    best regards
    christos
  15. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    very good
    keep posting !
  16. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey Joe, buddy , it's been a while. Man, that groundwork is just awesome. Nap's face isn't less either. Looking forward to some more

Stephen Mallia
  17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I hope to have a few pictures soon but in the meanwhile here is the way that I did the floor and the balastrad was done the same way just using different colors.

The floor was sheet styrene and I marked it out and then scribed in the patteren. For the scribbing I used sewing needles, the bigger ones. Once I had the groves deep enough I took some liquid glue and ran it in the ruts, this helps to melt any burrs. Once dry, overnight I waited, I lightly ran some sandpaper over the surface. I then airbrused the tan/gray color, deck tan and a bit of stone gray. Once this was dry I hand painted the green tiles using Andrea Napoleonic green.

The next step was the swirl/marble patterns. The gray areas were just different shades of gray mixed with the base until the really dark ones were German gray. I then used different shades of green for the green section and the Greman gray. A side note, while I was painting the different sections I would take dirty water, from the paint tray and wash over the paint, this helps to give it the feather look. Once all this was finished I took the base and gave it an oil paint wash of Sepia, very thin. When dry I painted the grout/groove sections with a mix of German gray lightened up with deck tan.

I then airbrushed the base going from let to right and then back the other way. I did this in a mist, where is was not very heavy. I then took the base and rotated it the other way and did the same thing. I kept repeating this process for about 12 coats. Doing it this way causes it to orange peel and then when you rotate it the the other way it fill in those voids. I then repeated the whole process over but this time heavier amount of Future until I had a total of about 15 coats. I think it looks better in person but will try to get a few nicer pictures as well.

Thanks again,

Joe
  18. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Joe
    Good setting for the Emperor
    painting so far looks great

Frank
  19. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Frank,

Thanks buddy.

Joe
  20. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Hey Joe, it's great to see you painting again. Looks like you haven't lost your touch. Merry Christmas!