1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New bust Lt Brown bust Air Cavalry update

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Nick Majerus, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    A 1/10th bust of a Helicopter Pilot of the 1st of the 9th Cav. Vietnam Coming soon! WhatsApp Image 2021-09-26 at 2.55.46 PM (2).jpeg
  2. Sgt. Red Active Member

3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nick

Good to see another release , I see it's a 3D sculpt from the picture ....interesting subject will paint up well

Is it based on a individual or photograph

Look forward to seeing the resin when possible

Thank for sharing

Nap
  4. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    The bust appears to resemble 1LT Larry G Brown, at the time assigned as a Scout Pilot for Charlie Troop, 3rd Squadron 17th Cavalry of the 1st Aviation Brigade i Vietnam 1970. Brown previously flew for 1/9 Cav of the First Cav Division (Air Mobile). The uploaded photo is from Wing Sabers, The Air Cavalry in Vietnam by Lawrence H. Johnson III, page 32.

LT larry Brown air cav scout 1970.jpg

Sign me up for a copy of the bust when produced!

Ned Ricks
    1/9 Cav 1970
    Babelfish, Nap and sd0324 like this.
  5. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    I will have to put a 101st Patch on him
    Nap likes this.
  6. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    The bust has been 3Dprinted. Copies are being made. Will annouse when I receive them. C.jpg B.jpg A.jpg
    Nap likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nick

Nice to see the 3D print , like the Stetson headwear , be nice to have the cap option as in the 2nd picture ...possible conversion option

He is certainly a character

Look forward to seeing the actual resin

Nap

PS I merged the original thread
  8. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nap, thanks for merging the two posts! I still am blind and in the woods as far as computers go!
    Nap likes this.
  9. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ned Ricks. What were the colors on the round patch on his pocket? Was the handkerchief around his neck yellow? I will save one for you. Only made 10 kits, so it is limited.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Interesting about the patch one picture shows just with central lettering/ numbers , the last pic looks like there might be writing around the top edge ?

Shame this is limited hopefully you might consider casting a couple more

Nap
    Nick Majerus likes this.
  11. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Hi, Gents
    The photo of LT Brown that I have (and uploaded) is B&W. I will venture some guesses based on personal snaps of the time...not to be taken as binding.
    The pocket patch was locally made. As Brown was a Scout pilot, I propose that the background of this to be white. Here is my reasoning: air cav troops had four platoons - HQ (mess, admin, etc) and three flying platoons of Red, White and Blue. The "Blues" were the air mobile rifle platoon (Blue being the formal uniform branch color of the infantry) and the associated UH1 lift birds. Red was the color of artillery branch and the organic gunships were our in house firepower so the guns platoon were "Red." These were almost always AH-1G by 1970. By process of elimination, the Scouts were the "White" platoon. In 1/9 Cav Scouts flew the Hughes OH6, in 3/17 they had OH58 as I recall.
    A scout plus supporting gunship was a "Pink Team." But, Brown was a White.
    The scarf could be any color - yellow would set off the piece nicely, but it could be an OD cravat (medical bandage cloth) frequently worn to ward off dust and to mop sweat.
    His uniform could be jungle fatigues, but as there are no pleats on the pocket I would guess it to be the drab brown Nomex flight suit shirt.
    Hope my guesses help. Ask if more are useful to anyone.
    NR
    Babelfish, Nick Majerus and Nap like this.
  12. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Larry Brown WIP. Excellent casting and exacting detail.
    Larry Brown 1.jpg
  13. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Ned, looks great!