1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique New bust - Francois Fournier Sarlovese

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jun 25, 2014.

1. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal

Attached Files:

crf likes this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Pedro. Fournier's plume would have been a bunch of egret feathers, not your standard shako plume of short feathers worn by battalion officers. I considered using real simulated feathers but decided to use putty. Hence the long lines in the putty.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    pmfs and ChaosCossack like this.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I understand that the costuming for the two principle actors was valued at $77,000. Amazing considering that was in 1977!
    Tonton and crf like this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    And I understand Scott was annoyed that he didn't get title to the uniforms. Ownership was retained by the Italian company that produced them.

Colin
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here's my start on his dolman. The lacing is a fine plaited twine from the art store. Still rough but you get the idea.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some buttons and shirt detail added; test fitting the head.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Impressive Colin.(y)
    crf likes this.
  8. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    great work on the lacing Colin (y)
    crf likes this.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Pelisse started. Head is not properly seated yet....just sitting atop. Need to add pelisse sleeve and twists at end of dolman and pelisse braiding. Also still need to add right arm holding shako. That will be challenging. Getting into the home stretch I think.

Crap iPad photos with low light available.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    bistray, Grod, tiberius57 and 3 others like this.
  11. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Colin,

I am a great admirer of your work, remembering your 54mm piece of the same subject. With skill sets like these, you should explore 1/6 scale models...:)

Rgds Victor
    crf likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Colin you continue to outdo yourself!
    This is coming along fantastic. The detail on the shako is outstanding and the start of the braiding and pelisse is impressive.

I hope you bring this out to Alex' s show on Saturday... I'd love to see it in the flesh.

Colin
    crf likes this.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Colin, That's right. Scott could not believe that for that price tag that the costume house retained ownership of the costumes. It doesn't get any better than that. I wonder how many other productions those costumes may have ended up in.
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Money well spent. I wish they had left D'Hubert/DuPont in the correct 4th Hussards clothing rather than the iron grey of the 3rd. I have been doing a little research on Feraud/Fournier's opponent. Didn't realize until now that it was the infamous General DuPont de l'Etaing who surrendered his Corps D'Armee to the Spanish at Bailen in 1808. Maybe that's why Napoleon let the series of duels continue. He likely didn't give a toss who won.

Colin
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Pelisse done. Moving on to the right arm holding his shako.

Colin

P1010072sml.jpg

P1010074sml.jpg P1010075.JPG P1010076.JPG
    P1010079.JPG P1010077.JPG P1010078.JPG
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    :wideyed::wideyed: :wideyed:
    WOW, great work on that sleeve braid and trim... some of your best detailwork to date I think!
    Look forward to seeing how you treat the right arm and shako.

Much impressed, my friend!

Colin
    crf and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin. Here is a profile portrait from very interesting article about him (in French) in "Vivat Hussar" No.16, pp.53-82, Tarbes, 1981.(apparently a reprint of the same article previously published in "Le Ruban Rouge" No.28). Courtesy of a French contact on GMIC.

Through luck, his ear appears to be set low on the head. :) Mine are too low but maybe not horribly so. I think I lucked out being so close as I did not have a profile image until this morning.

Colin

image.jpg

image.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin,

This just gets better ..that arm details are amazing .....can't wait to see the shako holding arm .....

.........and then the painting

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    crf likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    More progress. Still need to tidy up, braid right arm holding shako, add Legion of Honour medal and pelisse cords. Hope to finish this aft.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg
  20. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Geez Colin, that's sharp (y)! Apart from your skill as a sculptor and painter I like the inclusion of historical research and anecdotes that you treat us to:).

Joe
    Paul Kernan, ChaosCossack and crf like this.