1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Atelier Maket / Metal Modeles

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by ateliermaket, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Dirkpos New Member

Resin is a lesser medium to me compared with metal. The argument that you get better details with resin is a fallacy.
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry but I disagree completely.

By way of example, take a look at the Authorsculpt 54mm mounted samurai that was posted and commented on here sometime ago where resin and WM versions of the same kit were posted up for comparison of the details they could hold. The difference was night and day.

Perhaps those who cast figures (both) may have a more informed assessment?

Gary
    Tommi likes this.
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I remember Graham Scollick of CGS showing me the old David Grieve busts of the Waterloo Generals that he had. One had been cast in Metal the other Resin and even in a comparatively uncomplicated object the difference was plain to see.

There are so many advantages to resin that it is easy to see why the market has gone in that direction,
    1) Cheaper to post
    2) Finer detail and the ability to create more dramatic poses-especially horses.....which have been known to collapse on occasions in metal....LOL
    3) No metal deterioration, which I have experienced with Borin, Grieve, PM in the past.
    4) Ability to produce in larger scales, which although they can be heavy are much lighter than Metal in the same scale
    5) Easier to hold the subject being painted.
    6) No need to prime if you are so inclined.
    7) Cabinet shelves don't collapse under the sheer weight of metal.

A couple of disadvantages,
    1) Coping with resin dust on clean up (although some of the superb casing coming on line makes this almost redundant)
    2) The joy of holding a completed model in your hand which has weight and implied value (Just a personal view)

Keith
    Redcap and Tommi like this.
  5. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have been casting in both metal and resin for over 30 years and would have to disagree with your statement. Metal Modeles are probably one of the best produced white metal producers in the market place in terms of quality of product. This is because of investment of both the correct equipment and experience although the manufacturing process for white metal is a costly exercise in terms of equipment and mould making in comparison to resin production. If you were to cast the same parts in resin from the masters and constructed moulds and vacuum or pressure casted accordingly you will end up with better detail for sure with sharper edges on angled parts, more defined details on the smallest of parts and a better non porous surface finish. Each medium metal or resin is a completely different technique requiring a big learning curve over much time to achieve the optimal results. There is and always will be a place for both which the individual having a preference to what they like and what they see is pleasing to the eye or what they think they are getting better value of money for.

All just my long term experience and opinion and each to their own. I could emphasize more on the for and against of both processes in great detail be we all need to stay awake.

I like the kit and will be buying it for sure whatever its made from.
    Cheers
    Tommi
    Redcap and Tecumsea like this.
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Agree 100% Tommi, been waiting along time for this one(y)

Keith
    Tommi likes this.
  7. Ronaldo A Fixture

I think that a high quality casting in metal with the right mix of lead, tin and pewter is hard to beat ,esp with small parts . Certainly dramatic poses are easier to achieve with resin ; rearing horses in particular and suits the scales up to 75mm .
    Looking at the larger scales yes resin seems best as sheer weight is a big factor and if cast in metal the centrifugal casting mould can warp out of shape . Down side with resin as far as I can see with horses is the horse furniture detail seems to take a turn for the worse.
    IE over scale belts straps and general ornamentation ; all very evident in the Napoleonic stuff also uniform piping seems to suffer as with medals etc.

Haven't got my hands on the New Atelier mounted kettle drummer yet so dont know how the change from metal to resin has faired but the new Napoleon 75mm arrived yesterday ; casting in general is very nice, clean and almost no clean up and no casting blocks but there
    are a couple of issues re the epaulettes and the Legion d Honour , so far I have fixed the first using 5amp fuse wire " anyone still remember that stuff" :D

Resin does seem to work better in the early century stuff as belt buckles and ornaments were much larger and easier to cast ,horse furniture less ornate in most cases .
    Haven't got my hands on any of the new resin M Bruno stuff yet but have it on very good authority that it is of the highest quality in casting ,metal and casting block free.
    kevininpdx and Tecumsea like this.