1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

new adn would appreciate advice on first figure

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by invasion, Aug 18, 2008.

1. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    If you get lines in the paint, like ridges it means its too thick, so its better to do two thinner coats and get a realistic effect. make sure you let the first dry before applying the second.
    milliput fine is good, you will need some sort of tool to position the putty, i use a sculpting tool from gw its ok. make sure you get some water and smooth it after applying it so there will be minimal sanding after. Use 400 & 600 wet and dry grade sandpaper, the grey coloured stuff.
  2. invasion New Member

United-States
    Ahhh I am going to scream I think..why do local model shops never have the colour you want !

Really wanted to get on with this today but cant get the colour :( they had Tamiya and Humbrol but from what I can remember from Tamiya it is horrrible stuff. I used once on a tamiya car and it seemed to go really gunky/sticky leaving no time to work with it ?

Anyone else have this problem with Tamiya accrylics? would be much easier if I could use those none of this colour matching stuff, if I had more hair I would be pulling it out by now :eek:
  3. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    lol, you could order some vallejo on the inernet, or try andrea its good stuff too
  4. invasion New Member

United-States
    well just an update I have nearly finished this figure, and I think I am pleased with first results. Although I am sure it is incorrect in many ways for a first attempt I dont think it is bad :D

I got the Andrea minature face paint set to help me out with the face as he looked rather unwell with the vallejo colour I was using :p

I havent been brave enough to paint the eyes in yet, what colour should I use and should I just do a vertical line for the eyes or place a bob of paint -does that make sense-on ?

as soon as I have the eyes sorted I will post some pictures:)
  5. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Eyes basically
    flesh no 6 over eye socket
    white inner, leaving edges dark
    black blob for eye make sure the black meets top and bottom lid and its not cross eyed, lol.
    I like blue eyes so blue leaving black ring
    black dot for iris
    white small dot for reflection i put it at 2 o clock between black centre and coloured area

You can use a cocktail stick to dot the eye, some use a neddle blunt end, I dont but its worth a try, good luck, and remember the eyes are the window to the soul, its what makes a figure :D well its a good start anyway
  6. invasion New Member

United-States
    ok well here goes my first ever figure still got a few things to do on it but wanted to see what you guys thought ?[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

comments most welcome good or bad ;)
  7. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Cor, thats an excellent job for your first figure, I can see you have talent.

Next job is to work on highlighting and shading the creases more. Well done:D
  8. invasion New Member

United-States
    Thanks Krom1415, not sure if it is talent I have, seeing the work you guys do but I am pleased with first results.
    I thought I went a bit dark on the face and could of blended better? what do you think of the colours do they look accurate on the uniform?

I didnt want to post the pictures to be honest as the stuff on this site is such a high standard! I really enjoyed painting the figure though and I guess that is the mian thing that it is fun.

not sure on how I will do on somthing smaller really want to do the spider man figure from andrea minatures I think you did that didnt you ?

thanks again for the kind comments
    regards
    Adam
  9. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Colours look good to me, although there maybe someone that can give you an accurate opinion on here.
    Face is a little blotchy, but works well, you should be very comfortable about posting him, he's good.

If you go the 54mm route, there will be less need for detail but they do require more control over the brush, but I think you will cope well.
  10. invasion New Member

United-States
    thanks Krom1415 well we shall see how I get on with the 54mm going to order somthing in the next couple of days any suggestions of somthing easy any subject doesnt really matter ?
  11. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom