1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

new adn would appreciate advice on first figure

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by invasion, Aug 18, 2008.

1. invasion New Member

United-States
    new and would appreciate advice on first figure now with pictures of first figure

Hi, I have just joined this forum so hello to everyone :)

I want to start painting figures and would like advice on what figure to paint first? I was thinking of ordering somthing from Alpine minatures http://www.alpineminiatures.com/

but was wondering if I should paint somthing bigger in scale first ? aslo would like to stay away from resin kits at first so any other kits you would recomend? I am in the Uk as well so somthing I can get here would be better.

also I will be using Vallejo paints

Thanks for any help much appreciated
  2. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    Start with a figure which holds your interest. No sense painting WWII Germans if your real interest is Napoleonics.

Choice of scale is entirely up to you. As a rule of thumb, the larger scale figures usually have more detail and higher prices.

:)
  3. invasion New Member

United-States
    Think I will start with 1/35 then and maybe do some more expensive bigger scale later on.

I see you are from Kentucky I have family in Bowling green

Thanks for your help
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    If you want to try a larger scale figure, I can recomend the plastic 1/16th (120mm) kits by Dragon and Miniart. They aren't expensive and look pretty good when painted up.

Good luck.
  5. invasion New Member

United-States
    Thanks for that I will have a look at those ;) before I saw your post I placed an order for a Tamiya - TA36306 - German Machine Gunner (Greatcoat)

I mainly because of the price 7.99 thought it would be ok for a first attempt.
    Any views on this figure good or bad choice ?

Also what brushes would be correct for this model Size wise ?

Regards
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    My first figure that cames out in my opion a good painted figure was not a cheap figure.
    I think you fool yourself with buying cheap figures. If you are seriously going to painting figures you can best buy a more expensive figure then eight dollar.
    The more expensive figures are better detailed, nice and smooth casting, they are worth every penny.
    Believe me, the fun for figure painting begins with a good figure, "good" brushes and good paint.

Marc
  7. invasion New Member

United-States
    Thanks for the advice much appreciated.I Know what you mean about getting a good figure the more you pay etc etc. The One I have just ordered is £7.99 that works out about $15:00.

I really got this as a test figure to see if I enjoy the hobby..is this really such a bad figure?

once I know I like the hobby I will be going for some Pegaso figures

any advice on brush sizes ?
    Regards
  8. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Invasion,

welcome to our little world of miniatures.
    To start painting figures these Dragon figures are nice enough.
    There is only one down side to these and that is that they need to be glued toghether at some odd places. But this is for someone who's expirienced with plastic kits not that hard to do. Make shure that all the lines are nicely sanded before painting and use a good primer (I use GamesWorkshop white)
    Look around on this site and you'll find enough ideas on how to do all this.
    Don't be afraid to show us your progress and to ask us for comments (these are only to help you foreward).
    Only one thing remains and that is : JUST HAVE FUN.

groeten Willem

p.s. do you have a first name? this cummunicates nicer.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    For me the sizes 0000, 0, 1 and 2 will do, and occasionely i use a 3 for large surfaces. I also use a needle for painting eyes.

Marc
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    For me the sizes 0000, 0, 1 and 2 will do, and occasionely i use a 3 for large surfaces. I also use a needle for painting eyes. Very important is that the brush holds his point.

Marc
  11. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi and welcome,
    I'm new to this scale too, have you painted before, I will asume you have not :D

Primer; Games workshop Skull white

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99209999011&orignav=300810

Brushes, worth getting some decent ones and brush cleaner, tip; never put the brush into paint where the metal ferrule joins the hair, never wash out the brush by stabbing it into the bottom of the pot of water. Use the side of the pot and spin the brush.

Windsor & Newton kolinsky series 7 brushes are superb, but expensive, I use the longer haired ones, and get some brush cleaner, essential stuff.

http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/ci_brushes.php?item_id=528

You have chosen great paints :D

A box of dragon 1/35 are good for the cost too.

Finally be patient and read lots of tutorials on painting this size of figure, including correct paint colours.
    Good luck
  12. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    I'm forty miles north of Bowling Green. Went to school at Western.
    :)
  13. invasion New Member

United-States
    First of all thanks to everyone for the advice much appreciated :)
    My figure arrived this morning looks quite nice, I think the post man thought I was a bit odd ad I had a silly grin on my face like a kid at christmas :D

so how do I start ? I assume I will need some primer is games workshop Skull white?

Also Should I paint the face before putting it together ? or do a build it all then paint?

going to get brushes today as recomended by Krom1415 ;) Windsor & Newton kolinsky series 7 brushes.
    Was also thinking of investing in this:
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/sam100-swing-arm-magnifying-lamp/path/lamps-magnifyers-chargers-batteries
    Any opinions on it ?

Yes My name is Adam ;)
    My wifes Brother also went to Western, I have only been to Kentucky Once About 6 years back as I live in England must get back soon.

Thanks for all the help again much appreciated
    Regards
    Adam ;)
  14. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Adam,

There are two options first build the piece together, prime and paint. Or paint the parts separately and glue them together after painting. This depends also on the figure and personal taste. If certain parts are difficult to reach when mounted together you can paint them before mounting.
    To start first you need to remove seam lines and dry-fit the different part to avoid big gaps when glued together later on. You can wash the piece with some soap, dry and prime. And they are ready to paint.
    Most people start with the face because this is one of the most important parts of the figure.

A magnifying glass can be handy; I have one similar to the optivisor that you place on your head.

Good luck with paiting!

Marcel.
  15. invasion New Member

United-States
    Well I got some Brushes today,but not the ones I wanted as they have been discontinued or so I am told ?

I got some windsor and newton Sable/synthetic brushes I got a 0,1,2 & 3. To be honest the 0000 looked like it would be to small, nothing to it and the tip of the 0 would be better ?

I got some Games Workshop Skull White to prime with but didn't manage to get any Vallejo Paints as they only had a few colours I wanted, and they looked like they had been sitting for years. So tomorrow I am going to go to another shop that has them all in stock.

I have spent the rest of the day cleaning the mold lines up -Think it is called Flash- and have glued the to body halfs together.

tomorrow hope to do any filling and prime

Regards
    Adam
  16. invasion New Member

United-States
    Hmm can somone just tell me if this is the correct colour for his coat VAL 70894 seems a bit green to me but that is the one on the conversion chart from Vallejo??

Sorry I really dont know that much about the correct colours

Regards
  17. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi
    The brush sjop told you porky pies, regarding the brushes, however, see how you get on with the sythetics, there known to be of average standard, but good enough to start with.

Primer is good, make sure you shake it for at least a inute, and spray it in a dry area, without to much dust, keep it 8 inches away from model, and dont over spray better to do light coats and let it dry before doing another.

I take it this is the chap in question :D

[IMG]

Try this for colours, I'm not a WWII painter and these are small scale figures, but the colours should be good.
    first colomn, then click this one German Army Colour Guide (download)

Hope this helps, and happy painting

http://www.artizandesigns.com/newpaintingguides.asp
  18. invasion New Member

United-States
    Thanks Krom1415 your help is much appreciated:)

Really is difficult this colour matching thing, I got the tamiya number and then looked on the Vallejo list and it gave me 70.894 but that is russian green ???

The one on the guide you gave me -Thanks- looks better so I will go pick up a bottle of that see what I think.

I guess for my first one if the colour isn't spot on it doesnt matter, as I will be learning a lot and no doubt will want to have another go on the same model again.

I have it all primed now that went really well and I have painted the boots :D
    will try to post some pictures tomorrow

thanks again
    Regards
    Adam
  19. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Well your in front of me :D I've just finished preping my roman, hopefully priming tomorrow.

With those colours invasion, as you get a selection of colours, you will begin mixing them to get the required tones.
    A basic would be your base colour on first, then add some white to it mix and this will give you a highlight, this is placed where the light would hit if from above, then you could add black to the original colour mix, and put this on the creases and where shadows would be.

It get more complex after this, but it is fun.

Some use a white glazed tile to mix on, others a wet pallette, or just a pallette, oh and if your in a hard water area, get some deionised water, for mixing and thinning the paint.:D
  20. invasion New Member

United-States
    thanks krom1415,
    I will get some distilled water today how much should I be thining my paint down for base coat, highlights & shadows ? I painted the boots un thinned :confused: came ok?

also I got some Plasto Putty and It is awfull don't really want to use that again. What would you recomend as it replacment, it is just so thick and well just I think unusable.

thanks again