1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Netherlands Musketeer (2)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by WPS, Feb 8, 2008.

1. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Steve, thank you for checking up on this build. As you can see I'm not as brave as you for sculpting or re-sculpting faces is something I still have to try out.
    Jamie, yep those horns were turned by me on a lathe (an old schaublin) and isn't all that difficult if you have the right tools. (it just takes time)

Both of you thanks for the comments.

Now here starts the painting of the figure.
    There are still some parts that need to be made but they are all loose items and can be fixed in a later stage.

The figure is primed with Games workshop skull-white primer.
    This is done for two reasons, the first being that I used different materials and the primer gives an even base-color and it's also the second reason for I use acrylic, enamels and oils to paint this figure.

As most painters I usually start with the face but in this case I found it safer to start with the black hat.
    If I touch the face I can easily clean it with a white acrylic.
    The hat is painted with black acrylic and when still wet re-done with a mix of black and dark sand to give some tonal differences.
    After this I painted the pupils with a light blue and pre-colored the goatee, moustache, eyebrows and hair with a mix of natural leather / dark sand.

[IMG]

The face is done with my preferred method using oils.
    I always start with burned sienna (straight from the tube)as a base making sure the layer is as thin as possible.
    Even the eyes are done for this takes away the brightness of the white and make them look more natural.
    After this I start blending in different colors to get the tonal differences I want.

[IMG]

Next, the facial hair will be done with oils. And after this I'll touch up the pupils.

I still am not satisfied with the pictures. In some cases they seem to be overexposed. The frustrating thing in this case is the fact I only get to see them full size on this computer (the screen on my camera is small).
    So next time I'll try out other lights and some white paper for reflecting.
    By this time I hope you'll be able to see the skintones better.

[IMG]

See you and groeten from, Willem
  2. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Willem,

nice to see them coming along! Interesting sbs you did and the quality of painting is superb, the fleshtones are very natural!

Thanks for sharing
    Denes
  3. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice progression

Willem,
    thanks for sharing your in progress work.

So far, I like the progress of what you are doing, and how it is turning out.:cool:

As for WIP shots, yep, that dinky little screen on the back of a camera is very limited.

For improving the shots, here is a cheap experiment.

Go to a stationery shop or news agents, and get yourself either some single sheets of coloured board or paper. (what ever suits budget or taste and available)

set up the figure as you have done already., for a portrait type shot.

Start with white back ground, then a warm grey, a cool grey, a light tan colour, and maybe a black.

Because a camera doesn't have the super duper software of the Mk 1 human brain, it can only average out colours.
    (a black cat on a white bed sheet is a blob with eyes and a tail)

Each photo with a different background will give a different 'result' to the photo taken.

Which is impressive when you view them side by side!!

as for lighting, so far you seem to be doing ok - n harsh shadows, no camera flash washing everything out.

Every artist is hard on them selves - we're here to remind you you are doing great work!!

Cheers and thumbs up!
  4. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Jamie, thanks for the input I'll certainly give this a go and see what comes out of this.

groeten, Willem
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Keep going Willem, you're doing a magnificent job. I'm really enjoying watching how you progress with these figures.
  6. tissibzh Active Member

France
    wow, Willem the expression of the face is terrific
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Netherlands Musketeers

Willem ,
    All I can say is WOW , this is a fantasic post ,I AM AMAZED AT HOW YOU SCULPT THINGS ESPECIALLY THE WEAPONS AND ACCESORIES , I have learnt so much from you , I love the basework , the fleshwork and the overall quality of the work is great ...keep posting we all look forware to the next .

Nap
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks like you have a great start on the painting Willem,
    And you know it from me and Gino, more contrast is better then low contrast.

Marc
  9. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Tony, Christian and Nap thank you for the kind remarks. It's nice to hear that people still enjoy watching my (slow)progress. Nap the reason for posting my work is all about learning for I get a lot of good comments and suggestions I can use. For others reading this it's a good source of ideas and methods. This is mainly the reason that made me post in these forums but it's always nice to hear that it works.

Mark, I know where your remark is coming from and I do agree with it to a certain level.
    Just you wait and see at the AMSS meeting if what I've done will be good enough :D
    I know I tend not to use to much contrast on my larger figures.
    p.s. I also tried to paint with only acrylics but like you I find it very difficult to get the desired blends.

Groeten from, Willem
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Willem,
    I know what you mean. With larger figures the contrast must been not so strong. I think we both know how far when it is good enough.
    Above all paint untill you like it, not untill you think others like it. You make the figure for yourself.
    As for acrylic. I can't paint with them, only as underlayer it is good enough.

Marc
  11. WPS Member

Netherlands
    On a Dutch forum (Modelbrouwers) a member suggested that the moustache had the wrong growth-lines so I changed that by using a scalpel blade and retouching with the oils.
    I'm satisfied with the face (need to do a little bit on the pupils)

[IMG]

So the next phase is blocking in the different base colors on the clothing.
    I've decided on black trousers with dark purple piping and knot, a very dark brown/black jacket with a lighter brown used for the galloon.
    Light sand as a base for the gloves.

[IMG]

The sash got a few washes of a mix with Light blue and Off white.

The next step will be the coloring and blending with oils creating subtle color changes with shadow and highlight.

Hoping to get the result I'm looking for. See you next time, Willem
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This gets better and better Willem,cant wait to see your painting with the oils.

Steve
  13. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Only a small addition today.
    I've started using the oils to get more depth in the clothing and some variations in the shades but I'm not happy with the results so-far.
    The jacket looks a bit too much like leather and has to be a bit coarser and more Matt.
    The next layer is going to get the same treatment as the hat, mixing sanding dust through the paint and using a stippling and dabbing motion while applying.
    This is a learning curve for me and next time I've to get more texture on the clothing using f.i. Mr Surfacer before I get to the painting stage.

[IMG]

During a conversation with a friend he pointed out to me that the color purple was only used during periods of mourning (f.i. a funeral).
    So I decided to use a red as the color for the piping and knot.

[IMG]

With this picture I hope you'll get an idea of how the vignette is going to be after completion.
    I think the different colors give it an interesting look.

see you, Willem
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Willem
    I really like this vignette.

Marc
  15. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    A very beautiful vignette!!!!:eek:
    I'd like the vivid color.
    I don't make a vignette so much, but I'm a fan of a vignette.:eek:
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Willem,

Looking good mate.

If I may suggest, perhaps you could add some darker shadows on the clothing to create a bit more contrast.
  17. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Hikaru, thank you (I'm not finished yet so keep looking in)

Tony, you are right in this, yet I always seem to be afraid to do this. So I've decided to do the final shadows last. This way I hope to do it right and not to go overboard.
    Could you give me a hint on what color to use on the Musketeers trousers (the green one). Marc van Megroot suggested to use a blue as a shadow color but I'm not sure enough what to do.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Above a photo's showing the latest progress. I've used a lighter leather for the sword-belt and a golden look for the sword.

Next step will be the powder-cups or Kartouches. I'll see you all next week.

Groeten from, Willem
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You take my advice Willem. Mix the blue with green untill you got the shadow you want. To darken the shadow you can always ad more blue.
    Highlighting the green with yellow, is also a good opportunity.

Marc
  19. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Hi Marc, you're right I should just go for it. See you soon at the AMMS.

Groeten, Willem
  20. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good progress Willem,just go for it.

Steve