1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Nerds

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ronaldo, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Ronaldo A Fixture

While travelling on the train< well more like a a motorised carriage from Glasgow city centre to my house we would pass the SEEC conference and exhibition centre , there was a big guy and his missus sitting opposite ; didn't quite have a bolt thru the neck but defiantly had the for head you wouldn't want to clash hieds with.
    He exclaimed there must be some sort of modelling thing on at the Seec as the train is full of nerdy people ; he was right . Grey flannels , cords and cavalry twill toped with all sorts of anoraks .

So I implore you the next time you go to a show Smarten up and change the image .:D

PS it was model rail
    1969, Nap, Airkid and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Don’t forget the large rucksacks which they obstruct the aisles at shows with either..........
    Used to see (& get jostled by) lots of those at Euro in the good old days, part of the reason I stopped going.
    grasshopper, Nap and Airkid like this.
  3. Ronaldo A Fixture

Oh and the cameras almost touching the models . I always make an effort to dress up going to shows and get looked like I'm some drifter in a country and western club venue
    Nap, OldTaff and Airkid like this.
  4. Airkid A Fixture

England

Yep, they seem to have to take their entire worldly goods with 'em (except soap!) and as for the "photographers", what do they do with all the pictures? The organisers put barriers out, and the beggars get under 'em. I stewarded in the comp area at Euro a couple of times and it was hard work.

Phil
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Phil,

I was going to mention that personal hygiene wasn't high on the priority list of some of the attendees at model shows in the "good old days" (when we could actually visit model shows in person), but thought it a bit impolite........:eek:
    Airkid, Nap and OldTaff like this.
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It had been suggested that we, as a club, put out a couple of cans of anti-perspirant on the table, instead of a bowl of sweets at some of the shows...:D
    Helm, Chris Oldfield, 1969 and 3 others like this.
  7. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Love it!!:ROFLMAO:
    Chris Oldfield, Nap and valiant like this.
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    And at the other end of the spectrum, we have those who looked down their noses at you if you didn't turn up in blazer & Regimental/Corps tie........
    Went to a few of these shows at Aldershot, & they definitely didn't like it if you wore jeans - Quel horreur!
    grasshopper, Nap and Airkid like this.
  9. Airkid A Fixture

England
    I used to be a regular at the Aldershot shows and yes, blazer and tie were much in evidence. Not me:p Good shows though!

Phil
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  10. Ronaldo A Fixture

Just dress snazzy
    Chris Oldfield, Nap and Airkid like this.
  11. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Yes, despite the “dress code” they were hugely enjoyable shows. It was at one of them (think it was 2000) that I met the late Roy Dilley, one of my modelling heroes. He was very easy to talk to, I remember having a long conversation with him about Sherman Fireflies.
  12. Graham A Fixture

England
    Have to admit I never got to any of the really big National modelling shows but I did visit quite a few smaller ones but, for me, it started to become much of a muchness and I eventually stopped going. However, I really did enjoy visiting the Figureworld show at Oundle. Not just because it was figure specific but it was small enough to manage to get to meet and chat to PF members which meant a lot to me even though I still got mugged multiple times by the friendly traders present :D

My worst ‘dress code incident’ has to be when I visited the Hinckley Model Show for the first time which was then held in the leisure centre. Having paid my entry fee and slung my camera around my neck ready to take inspirational photos, I needed the loo. Not being familiar with the place I wandered into the men’s changing rooms, camera at the ready, only to be faced with about a dozen naked men who did not seem too pleased to have an anorak photographer in their midst......
    Airkid, 1969, housecarl and 1 other person like this.
  13. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    You probably stumbled into the Naturist Club meeting by mistake, Graham!
    Graham likes this.
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Too much flash, everything was overexposed.:woot:
    Chris Oldfield and Graham like this.
  15. Graham A Fixture

England
    Probably why I have struggled to paint flesh ever since :rolleyes:
    Chris Oldfield and housecarl like this.
  16. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Dear old Roy - who passed away recently. He was a "hero" of mine too, and a friend, and probably responsible (via his conversion articles in Scale Models/Military Modelling) for getting me interested in figures. Heady days...:rolleyes:

Phil
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  17. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Yeah, it was easy to do that at Hinckley Leisure Centre - the changing rooms were kinda on the way in - a bit odd I thought. Good shows there.

Phil
    Graham likes this.
  18. Graham A Fixture

England
    Our paths may have crossed then :D It was a decent venue and show though. Also the place I bought my first larger than 35mm scale figure which was cast in metal and so poor, I never painted it....
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Just dress...............
    Chris Oldfield likes this.