1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Nemrod Knight

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dave Ward, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Nap,
    I'm still undecided about the base - the temporary one he's mounted on at the moment is a reject ( hole drilled off centre & not vertical! ) I fancy a thicker 'post', maybe a pillar style, but I'll have to think on that!
    Cheers
    Dave
    Borek likes this.
  2. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good work: do try to keep the whole shield if you can (angle it a bit more?)

Nap's idea of using the kit's on the base could be good (if you can stand painting the same design twice!)

Nap's right
    Dave Ward likes this.
  3. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    It's only when you blow the pictures up to huge size, that you can see the flaws ( that's my excuse anyway! )
    Dave
    Borek, DaddyO and NeilW like this.
  4. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    There's some fascinating info emerging with this thread, incredible scholarship and research. Nap, is there any facility on this site to marshal all of these links, diagrams, etc into a library folder for ease of future access by others? It would be easier than having to search for the original post and subsequent thread.
    franceso sbarile and NeilW like this.
  5. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well, there is this: https://www.planetfigure.com/forums/historical-references-literature-media-review.27/

... but it seems barely used (with honourable exceptions, eg Yellowcat is a regular poster of Samurai material). Part of the problem is that the discussions are often generated 'live' due to a current WiP or critique. I don't know if Nap/admin have some way of migrating material?

Organising it into period and/or subject folders may make things easier?
    Richard Baxter likes this.
  6. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    A simple resin bust seems to have generated a lot of interest!!(y)
    Cynically, I'd put it down to captive audiences, but many thanks for everyone who has added references :wideyed:
    Forum references are sadly ill-visited, no doubt due to the easy access to the vast reservoir of knowledge of the internet. These days, it may be a case of not knowing the answer, but knowing how & where to find the answer - who could imagine that the esoteric world of Medieval Shields/Heraldry could be accessed by anyone with a computer?
    I cut a new shield from 1 mm plastic card, poured boiling water on it & gently formed it into a curve ( around the bottom of a coffee jar! ) . The original shield, not only being too small also looked to curved to my eyes
    DSCF0586.JPG
    I've primed it grey, and will obviously have to basecoat suitably for the heraldry. Of course, red & yellow are two of the most difficult colours to paint/overpaint in an area. The shield is quite easy, but that has to be repeated on his surcoat.....................
    Still haven't decided which knight to depict!
    Dave
    NeilW likes this.
  7. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    A lovely sunny morning in Gloucestershire, I fired up the compressor & sprayed the metallic areas. I masked the surcoat/face with masking fluid.
    DSCF0587.JPG

I drilled 2 x 0.4mm holes & added pins to the side of the helmet, to give a positive location to the visor
    DSCF0588.JPG

I used a 0.2 mm airbrush, spraying at 1.25bar ( 20psi ). AK 3rd Generation Acrylic Natural Steel thinned with AK thinners
    DSCF0589.JPG

I might have found my subject - Roger Bigod, 5th Earl of Norfolk - he wasn't at Agincourt, but was contemporary
    roger bigod 5th Norfolk.jpg

Still looking ........................
    Dave
    Borek and NeilW like this.
  8. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Neil,
    I'm not a masochist!! :p I think that you would have to source decals for a project like that, unless you had the skills of a Hilliard!
    Dave
    Borek and NeilW like this.
  9. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Hmm - missed a century out somehow! It looks like Thomas Camoys - my very first idea, on page 1 of the thread has suddenly reappeared! Oddly enough, I looked at Thomas Chaucer - but there are two crests, one with a rampant lion, the other as above - and read that he had returned to England ill, before Agincourt! The Staffords - the 5th Earl died in 1403 ( Battle of Shrewsbury ), his father, Hugh before him ( 2nd Earl ). It seems that later research has put some of these guys elsewhere ( or dead! ) in 1415
    Dave
    Borek likes this.
  10. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave,

Yes, old sources can be confused and confusing (I know as I used to drink with a pair of medieval/early modern historians and at times could barely understand their conversations with their references to Middle English, Anglo-French and Medieval Latin).

Ref Chaucer's arms: Geoffrey's was certainly the one above and, as his son, Thomas would have used it, at first with a label as a mark of cadency to show his position as his eldest son and then on his death (1400) undifferenced. It seems that he adopted the other upon his marriage (said to be early in his life, so presumably well before Agincourt) to Sir John Burhersh's daughter, Matilda, presumably feeling that this carried more status. I think that he could technically use either version.

Although Wiki (unreferenced) states that he wasn't, the Dictionary of National Biography says that: The next year [1415] ne (sic) served with the king in France, bringing into the field twelve men-at-arms and thirty-seven archers, and was present at the battle of Agincourt.

Of course this may be a fiction and it's difficult to prove either version.

Regarding the Staffords: yes, it's difficult to find any of the many Staffords who would have been at Agincourt: we can probably put this one down to Shakespeare's dodgy history ;)

BoL with your quest,

Neil
    Borek and Dave Ward like this.
  11. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    To save anymore dithering, I'm going to say Edmund, 5th Earl of Stafford - at the Battle of Shrewsbury 1403
    340px-Stafford_Coat_of_Arms.jpg
    Dave
    Borek likes this.
  12. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Go for it Dave!

The only thing I'd say is that as it's a single charge, you could make the chevron rise higher/more acute than the ref you give. Check out the Fenwick Roll and other refs.

Or you could still make it Agincourt and use the 'Gules a chevron or' version that's on the Fenwick Roll (though I can't see who it is... it should be traceable). Personally I think this is more aesthetically pleasing.

Neil
    Borek and DaddyO like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Richard

Saw and and was checking out things ..yes the posts can be moved to the reference section but will not show in this thread

So if Dave is happy I can move all with pictures and links in

Putting the link to the reference folder here

Dave ...let me know

Nap
    NeilW likes this.
  14. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Nap,
    no problem - I've chosen my knight ( masked & drying at the moment! ), so transfer the files!
    Dave
    Borek and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers Dave will do so once I have the file ready

Which knight did you choose ?

Nap
  16. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Edmund, 5th Earl of Stafford 1377-1403 - killed at Battle of Shrewsbury
    Dave
    Borek, NeilW and Nap like this.
  17. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Where?
  18. Nap Moderator

England
  19. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave

Just a couple of suggestions about the yellow (which I assume you will paint everything first and then add the red chevron?)
    You'll find that yellow will look better over a white prime coat (You can use a darker one, but it will take more coats of paint) a quick coat of white with a brush will make a difference (It doesn't have to be perfect)

I also found that adding a bit of Off white or very light grey to the base coat mixes makes it more opaque and easier to work with without affecting the colour value noticeably.

Final tip is to use a purple or purple/grey mix for the shadows which saves them turning green and adds so 'life' to the colour

Hope that helps
    All the best
    Paul
    NeilW likes this.
  20. Dave Ward Member

United-Kingdom
    Here's the state of play at the moment - the majority of the paintwork is done (apart from the face! )
    DSCF0590.JPG
    There are a few areas that need touching up & I'll need to do some light washes on the surcoat - belt - shoulder armour.
    Colours used - Vallejo Golden Yellow & AK3 Blood Red, masked over yellow & red primer - all brush painted
    I've done a bit of masked painting on wingy things............
    top wing decalled.jpg
    and sorting out colour sequences to avoid colour bleed through has been learned through bitter experience ( ICM 1/48 Henschel Hs 126 - Condor Legion )
    Dave